IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS250/350 Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-05, 01:00 PM
LexFather

Default 2006 IS250/350 Official Thread

Well it will debut at the 75th Geneva Auto Show in less than 2 weeks.(March 3rd-13th). Pics are rumors are here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150856

The big news.
1. The next IS is made to not meet but destroy the 3-series, the benchmark.
2. The IS is made to to beat the 2 not just here in the USA, but also overseas.
3. 3 engine choices, a new 2.5 V-6 and the new 3.5 liter V-6 and in Europe a diesal model
4. Power is said to be in the low 200s for the 2.5 and over 300 for the 3.5
5. A 6 speed manual or automatic for the IS250. A 6 speed auto for the 350 (the new generation Lexus transmission from the LS 430 and now used in the GS)
6. More than 1 bodystyle (sedan first followed by Sportcross, and coupe, which maybe a hardtop convertible ala LF-C)
7. Direct Injection and dual VVTi in the new engines.
8. The IS shape will follow the new L-finesse style ala the 2006 GS.
9. Top of the line technology ala from the LS and GS.
10. All new sport interior (this maybe the biggest surprise, it will be hot!!)
11. AWD, not sure if it will be available at initial launch.

More to come on the car's histroy and why the next IS had to be a world-beater later this weekend.
Old 02-19-05, 01:21 PM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just hope that the car that shows up will be a little more complete and close to production than the Civic Si that bowed in Chicago. I mean that thing didn't even have an interior and it's supposed to be in production in a few months. I must say tho that Honda did a great job hiding that thing - I don't think any info leaked out about the car until the actual show.

I already assume that the IS will be on one of those on the turntable "no you can't touch it" (well it will say "touche pas" for the locals) kind of displays. I remember the current IS last year tucked away in the furthest corner of the Lexus site with no one going near it - the new GS concept had the turntable at the time.

I wonder how far away the BMW stand will be....

Last edited by biker; 02-19-05 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-19-05, 01:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by biker
I just hope that the car that shows up will be a little more complete and close to production than the Civic Si that bowed in Chicago. I mean that thing didn't even have an interior and it's supposed to be in production in a few months. I must say tho that Honda did a great job hiding that thing - I don't think any info leaked out about the car until the actual show.

I already assume that the IS will be on one of those on the turntable "no you can't touch it" (well it will say "touche pas" for the locals) kind of displays. I remember the current IS last year tucked away in the furthest corner of the Lexus site with no one going near it - the new GS concept had the turntable at the time.

I wonder how far away the BMW stand will be....
Biker, it would be wonderful if you kept updating us with the Euro reviews and perspective of this global car. Here is the link to the show everyone.
http://www.salon-auto.ch/en/
Old 02-19-05, 08:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well it will debut at the 75th Geneva Auto Show in less than 2 weeks.(March 3rd-13th). Pics are rumors are here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150856

The big news.
1. The next IS is made to not meet but destroy the 3-series, the benchmark.
2. The IS is made to to beat the 2 not just here in the USA, but also overseas.
3. 3 engine choices, a new 2.5 V-6 and the new 3.5 liter V-6 and in Europe a diesal model
4. Power is said to be in the low 200s for the 2.5 and over 300 for the 3.5
5. A 6 speed manual or automatic for the IS250. A 6 speed auto for the 350 (the new generation Lexus transmission from the LS 430 and now used in the GS)
6. More than 1 bodystyle (sedan first followed by Sportcross, and coupe, which maybe a hardtop convertible ala LF-C)
7. Direct Injection and dual VVTi in the new engines.
8. The IS shape will follow the new L-finesse style ala the 2006 GS.
9. Top of the line technology ala from the LS and GS.
10. All new sport interior (this maybe the biggest surprise, it will be hot!!)
11. AWD, not sure if it will be available at initial launch.

More to come on the car's histroy and why the next IS had to be a world-beater later this weekend.
AWD may be the biggest news of all here....in many regions, this car BADLY needs it. T/C, Snow mode tranny, and all-season tires help some, but in present form the IS is NOT a snow car by any means.

Interesting....no manual transmission for the 350 and this car is going to "destroy" the 3-series? Lexus should have already learned from its mistake of not having a manual for the IS in 2001....and from Infiniti's same mistake with the first-year G35. Maybe we'll see an SMT or DSG later on for the 350.
Old 02-19-05, 09:55 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The BMW received it's accolades, pre-release, soley on past performance. The current outgoing design was truely revolutionary back in 1999 when introduced. The new design, however, leaves much to be desired.

The new IS350 is leaps and bounds more evolutionary than the 3 series and should receive the same good reviews if not better than the BMW.

Old 02-20-05, 11:11 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, how are you going to "destroy" the 3-series with no manual tranny in ur top engine model. It'd be understandable if we had a sequential automated clutch type thing like SMG or F1... as good and responsive as the new auto is, its still gonna a "slush box". I hope at least they give u full control of shifting... in the current IS, i don't like how there's no 1st gear via e-shift.
Old 02-20-05, 11:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
. . . how are you going to "destroy" the 3-series with no manual tranny in ur top engine model.
And I thought they want to build a reputation in this segment in Europe. In Europe(& Asia too) >70-80 % of cars are still manual, so if they plan to truly expand their market share & brand name in Europe in the long term, they need a real manual transmission in their top IS350 model, so the excuse that MT cars are too low volume to justify just won't fly. Now they're offering a MT with just the diesel model there(if the Brit. article above is accurate), seems like they just want to make some bucks by selling a few more cheap diesels there more than building a reputation of a real sports sedan

I will not even consider the IS350 with a slush box nomatter how nice it is in other areas.

If SMT or DSG are made available later, there's a chance I may consider it , but a real manual with a clutch is still my top preference

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-20-05 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-20-05, 01:11 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

there is no actual official info yet, I'd be shocked if the IS350 doesn't offer a manual.
Old 02-20-05, 06:27 PM
Nas
Driver

Originally Posted by DallasLex
The BMW received it's accolades, pre-release, soley on past performance. The current outgoing design was truely revolutionary back in 1999 when introduced. The new design, however, leaves much to be desired.
A lot of the Mags that have test driven it, say it is still the benchmark (Edmunds, Evo).

I have never driven an IS, but I have heard that the current generation did handle as well or better than the 3. If the new IS can still do perform this well along with the current 3, then it will have success. I think Lexus needs to make the new IS have a better interior, price competitively, and offer the same options as the BMW for both IS versions (manual, AWD, etc).

I can't wait till the first Magazine comparison comes out.
Old 02-20-05, 08:24 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nas
I can't wait till the first Magazine comparison comes out.
Yes, that's when the truth comes out. It won't be long until we see the headline on MotorTrend cover: "Bimmer/Lex Battle of the Poles"!
Old 02-21-05, 12:02 AM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

Flash-drawn lines of new IS. Tail light will defenetly be wider than on those photoshopped speculations.

http://www.lexus-europe.com/
Old 02-22-05, 04:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
I agree, how are you going to "destroy" the 3-series with no manual tranny in ur top engine model. It'd be understandable if we had a sequential automated clutch type thing like SMG or F1... as good and responsive as the new auto is, its still gonna a "slush box". I hope at least they give u full control of shifting... in the current IS, i don't like how there's no 1st gear via e-shift.
real question is what exactly needs to be "destroying" - in the US, 70% of 3 series are sold with 2.5, 177hp engine and it is actually much worse in Europe with wider range of small engines and base equipped 3 series that have similar equipment to Corolla or less. It is hard to see all these people buying base 3 series because of its "sportiness", it is the image of "sportiness" that they are buying

I doubt Lexus thinks it can outsell 3 series in Europe or in USA within next 5-7 years, but I am sure they would be quite happy with some 40k-50k sales in the US, per year. As to the Europe, IS200 has received every possible owner award in every possible survey - from JD Power (GB, Germany and Netherlands), to local surveys from biggest magazines. It is just that the car was never appealing to wide range of people as with BMW 3 series, can you really see an 40 yr secretary, 55yr old executive and 60yr old nanny in current IS? I didnt think so. And no matter what they do now, IS cant just climb above every other car in single model, it doesnt work that way... same as with RX outselling both X3 and X5 in the US, by wide margin ;-).

IS200 is confirmed for Europe, so we shall have IS200, IS220d, IS250, IS250 AWD and IS350 so far.
I see no reason for most of these engines, if not all to have manual transmissions in Europe. AWD diesel would be a big plus due to all the torque in that 180hp and some 300lbs of torque in 2.2d engine.
Old 02-23-05, 12:23 AM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

IS200 is confirmed for Europe
What is the source?
Old 02-23-05, 07:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Itsuki_23
What is the source?
lexus-europe.com press release on how new IS200 is going to be at Geneva?
Old 02-23-05, 11:47 AM
biker
Lead Lap

If there is an IS200, it will have very little to do with the current IS200. Maybe Lexus will just carry over the current IS200 as is for a while before dropping it. From the info it seems like the availability in Europe will be later than US.
BMW will carry over the E46 coupe for at least a year before E90 based coupes come out while selling the E90 sedan. Maybe Lexus is doing the same thing.
Info less than a week away.

Quick Reply: 2006 IS250/350 Official Thread