IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS 300 245hp V-6 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-04, 09:12 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Horsepower is good to have but I think people get carried away a bit too much.

We had that long 2006 GS thread where people were arguing about HP numbers for a car that hasn't come out yet. If I like a car, I'm not gonna not buy it because the car from the competing brand has "10" more horsepower. You gotta look at the overall picture.

Ed
Old 10-22-04, 12:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by Cadd
Damn, you guys make me feel bad with my 160HP and 160lb/ft CR-V! I WISHED I had 215HP in that CR-V. It'll make passing more enjoyable. However even with 160HP and a 4 banger, I feel that is is more than enough to pass.

The point is......it's never enough......it's just human nature.
hahah well, at least the cr-v is light
Old 10-22-04, 03:33 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
Not really.....it's almost 3,500lbs! LOL But it's enough power for everyday driving. I'm not racing anyone (except when it's raining and the road is slippery......I'll burn all powerful RWD cars off the line).

Originally posted by SC300Es
Horsepower is good to have but I think people get carried away a bit too much.

We had that long 2006 GS thread where people were arguing about HP numbers for a car that hasn't come out yet. If I like a car, I'm not gonna not buy it because the car from the competing brand has "10" more horsepower. You gotta look at the overall picture.

Ed
Well said
Old 10-22-04, 05:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

i have both gs4 and is3, and my is3 is already 5 speed (quite a bit faster than auto). i can tell you any day, i miss the power on my gs4 over the is3, period

it's not about what power you can use all the time, it's about when you need it. freeway on ramp, need to pass someone, ride comfort, they all needs power. with my gs4, i can pass people if necessary without pushing the car too hard. but with my is3, i have to push it hard to just get close to what the gs4 can bring me, when i need it. that's the difference.

of course, if you talk about 600hp, ok, you have a point, that's too much even for passing someone. but talking about the 215hp on the current is3, i have to admit, it's lacking a bit
It's mostly relative Henry. When I was still driving 4 banger Honda Preludes, I never thought their passing power on highways is inedequate. But once you got a 300 hp V8, it's tough to go back to a much less powerful car.
Old 10-22-04, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by SexySC
It's mostly relative Henry. When I was still driving 4 banger Honda Preludes, I never thought their passing power on highways is inedequate. But once you got a 300 hp V8, it's tough to go back to a much less powerful car.
This man DOES NOT LIE!!!
Old 10-22-04, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The main problem with the CR-V is not so much a matter of weight as it is the high center of gravity and the tendency to flip of you push it in corners. Even with sports-car HP you cannot drive it like a sports car.
Old 10-22-04, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, that's true...............with cheap gasoline and high speed limits. But let's see what happens if gas goes to $3 a gallon. (Of course, Sexy, you guys might already be paying that much in Vancouver)
Old 10-25-04, 01:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that's very true man, i stand corrected. after i read your post, i thought to myself, if i were given an s600 to drive for a week, i am sure by the time i get back to my gs4 i think it's a pos in passing
Old 10-25-04, 12:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

that's very true man, i stand corrected. after i read your post, i thought to myself, if i were given an s600 to drive for a week, i am sure by the time i get back to my gs4 i think it's a pos in passing
The big question with an S600, Henry, is if it would stay out of the shop for a whole week...especially with Mercedes' crappy electronics. If it does...sure it would be a nice car to drive.
Old 10-25-04, 12:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by mmarshall
The big question with an S600, Henry, is if it would stay out of the shop for a whole week...especially with Mercedes' crappy electronics. If it does...sure it would be a nice car to drive.
haha come on, if i try to baby it i think it can at least hold its breath for a week?
Old 10-27-04, 05:44 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Screw the 245hp, you guys should be more concerned about the death of the 2jz. Look at the big #'s the modified cars are putting down. You know a wimpy Toyota v6 will never get there, even with rebuilds. The only positive side of things I can see is that it will make my car more desirable as the years pass on. This could possibly put the 1st generation of the IS300 on a resale path similar to that of the supra, although we are not a factory turbo car, it's relatively easy to mod the current engine. I don't know about you guys, but this will probably be the only IS I will ever own, and partially because it has one of the best engines ever. I doubt I will ever sell the car, and the only thing that would get me into another IS would be a well tuned v8. For now I'm stuck with the crappy m3 coming to my garage in December to keep me dreaming of the days when lexus cares about the people who really drive the cars and not just use it for transportation.
Old 10-27-04, 07:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Looks like more economy F head designs in store. No Toyota V6 has a G head, only the inline engines do i.e. 4A-GE, 2JZ-GE and etc. Looks like the Legendary G head (true dohc design) engines are going away.
Old 10-27-04, 08:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i agree that the gte engine is awesome, but who knows, maybe toyota can do some magic with the v6. if anything companies like nissan they are facing the same problem with their new v6 too
Old 10-29-04, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

haha come on, if i try to baby it i think it can at least hold its breath for a week?
Yeah...I'm being a little facetious here. Still, don't bet the rent on Mercedes reliability.
And...even though I don't encourage really aggressive driving, a well-built car shouldn't HAVE to be babied....especially a machine that costs S-class bucks.
Old 10-29-04, 07:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
Yeah...I'm being a little facetious here. Still, don't bet the rent on Mercedes reliability.
And...even though I don't encourage really aggressive driving, a well-built car shouldn't HAVE to be babied....especially a machine that costs S-class bucks.
I've heard the current S class's reliability is pretty bad during the first few years of production, but the 04's are getting to be more acceptable, too bad just when they start to figure things out, the new S class is already around the corner . . . & here we go again . . .

Quick Reply: 2006 IS 300 245hp V-6 AWD