IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS200 for North America?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 10:54 PM
kobebeef
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone's proud to have a Lexus. But there was a time Acura wasn't even recognized as anything. Rather, people would be proud of their Legends... that was one of the problems Acura faced early on in their history.

All I can say is that while the IS300 has a better engine and all vs the IS200... people with the IS200 here and in UK are still very satisfied with the IS200 variant.
Old 10-30-03, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

While it would be a little overpowered for my taste, I have to agree that the IS430 would be a good idea, if for no other reason, than to compete with the upcoming Pontiac Holden GTO that should just be starting to sneak into showrooms a I write this. The IS430 should be about the same size and power as the GTO...and probably better quality.
Old 10-31-03, 08:18 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default mmarshall, here's why the TSX is nothing compared to the IS300

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...08-acura_x.htm

Need I say more?
Old 11-06-03, 09:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Reply to both flipside and 1SICKLEX:

Both you guys make some good points about Acuras in general and specifically the TSX. I own an IS300 and have test-driven a TSX. The TSX is a nice car but it is really one notch below the IS both in price and in refinement. Its best feature is the typically super-slick Honda-Acura stick shift. Flipside, I saw the website from USA CARS you posted about the declining Acura sales. Acura's declining sales are not so much a matter of lousy marketing as simply being overshadowed by Lexus and Infiniti. Quality-wise, Acura makes just as good a car as Lexus and Infiniti. Their main problem simply is lack of product diversity, not marketing. They have yet to do a V8 or rear-drive coupe or sedan, and yes, this is indeed hurting them. And the mid-engine NSX is more than a dozen years old. Car buyers have perceived (often truthfully) that Honda are a better deal than Acuras.
Old 11-06-03, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default to flipside, 1SICKLEX

By the way, flipside, what are YOUR wheels? I take it that, since you are on the IS300 forum, you own or lease one. Same with you, 1SICKLEX?
Old 11-06-03, 05:46 PM
kobebeef
Driver School Candidate

I think Acura has done not as much in terms of differentiating Acura from Honda. I think that a Lexus or Infiniti very much separates itself from Toyota and Nissan respectively. From the Interior to the extra features added, the Acura is clearly lacking.

The entry level IS200 has no "twin" from Toyota's line and if it did, no Toyota could match its interior design which remains one of a kind up until today. Even the ES series was refined to make it as far from a Camry as possible. Similarly, the Infiniti G35 looks similar to the 350Z but sit inside each and you can definitely feel a difference.
Old 11-06-03, 09:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Default Re: to flipside, 1SICKLEX

Originally posted by mmarshall
By the way, flipside, what are YOUR wheels? I take it that, since you are on the IS300 forum, you own or lease one. Same with you, 1SICKLEX?
I am currently a 99 Solara SE V6 5spd and 2004 IS300 owner. The JCE10 description in my signature is the chassis code the IS300 sits on. The pic in my signature should be a clear giveaway of the wheels I have. And if you want to be technical, "MY WHEELS" are the optional factory 17x7 Graphite Polished wheels with OEM Bridgestone Potenzas.
Old 11-06-03, 09:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by kobebeef

The entry level IS200 has no "twin" from Toyota's line and if it did, no Toyota could match its interior design which remains one of a kind up until today. Even the ES series was refined to make it as far from a Camry as possible.
I understand your point, but in Japan, every Lexus model IS a Toyota. So that statement "no Toyota could match..." would be an oxymoron.
Old 11-07-03, 04:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Relpy to flipside and kobebeef

Toyota is going to solve part of this problem by finally introducing the Lexus name in Japan. This may bring the Japanese lines into a little more similiarity with ours. Many people, for instance, don't know that the GS is the Toyota Aristo in Japan, or that the IS is the Altezza. Both the Altezza and IS200/300 come with either the 2.0 liter engine or the 3.0 liter depending on what country you're in. Though I don't know this for a fact, my guess is there may also be a diesel model.
Flip, you like to point out marketing moves. You probably know that Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti were originally strictly marketing names for North America to differentiate them from lesser Hondas, Toyotas, and Nissans, and, more important, to attempt to compete directly with German and American luxury nameplates...primarily German. Acura, at first, was quite successful, but was later overshadowed by the other two. Mazda attempted to launch a competing Amati luxury division but Ford (Mazda's owner) nixed it due to lack of funds. The recently discontinued Mazda Millenia with the Miller-cycle engine was originally designed as an Amati but, of course, got the Mazda nameplate and became the Mazda flagship instead.
Old 02-12-05, 02:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Would anybody out there be interested in the IS200 here in America? It is the same car as the IS300 but with a 2.0 L 153 HP four instead of the 3.0 215 HP six in the 300. The 300 is a gas hog (17-18 MPG) for a car its size, and for those of us who are not speed freaks, it has more power (and a higher price) than it really needs. This car is marketed overseas as either the Lexus IS200 or the Toyota Altezza depending on what country you're in....but NOT currently offered here at home.
Well I guess we were onto something
Old 02-12-05, 08:52 PM
biker
Lead Lap

The IS250 will fix all of these problems. Or if you're really worried about gas milage, go outside of NA and get an IS220d.
Old 02-14-05, 03:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Mazda attempted to launch a competing Amati luxury division but Ford (Mazda's owner) nixed it due to lack of funds. The recently discontinued Mazda Millenia with the Miller-cycle engine was originally designed as an Amati but, of course, got the Mazda nameplate and became the Mazda flagship instead.
I remember the Amati idea in the past. I'm glad they never brought it out because it would have only put them more in the hole. I honestly believe Mazda is in a hole already. Why buy a Mazda 3 or a Volvo S40 when I can buy a Ford Focus for way less.

The Lexus idea was targeted for North American tastes as the whole project was born here in California. But I honestly believe Toyota had a bigger picture for Lexus in the world as it reflects in their mission statement "right from the start":

THE LEXUS COVENANT

Lexus will enter the most competitive,
prestigious automobile race in the world.
Over 50 years of Toyota automotive experience
has culminated in the creation of Lexus cars.
They will be the finest cars ever built.

Lexus will win the race because
Lexus will do it right from the start.
Lexus will have the finest
dealer network in the industry.

Lexus will treat each customer
as we would a guest in our home.

If you think you can't, you won't...
If you think you can, you will!
We can, we will.
Old 02-14-05, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
I remember the Amati idea in the past. I'm glad they never brought it out because it would have only put them more in the hole. I honestly believe Mazda is in a hole already. Why buy a Mazda 3 or a Volvo S40 when I can buy a Ford Focus for way less.
":
Have you test-driven a Mazda 3?
Yes.....maybe you can buy a Focus for less, but you will find out why the Mazda costs more when you drive it....especially the top-of-the-line model with the 160 HP engine and sport suspension. They don't call Mazda the poor man's BMW for nothing. (Trust me ).
Old 02-24-05, 07:43 AM
necromax
Driver School Candidate

Just for the record guys, Lexus don't offer an I4 in the UK... only imported Altezza RS200's have an I4. Like any car, each has its potential. I have recently added a supercharger to my IS200 putting it on par with the IS300, without the harsher fuel consumption. While I may have prefered an IS300, it is not available with the 6 speed manual transmission over here, so I consciously opted for the IS200 with 6 speed manual transmission with the intention of adding the supercharger. A friend has his car checked recently, and was found to be running at 214bhp.

Big power plants are not always necessary for big power... a good example of this would be the Subaru Impreza Turbo... as a former owner of one of these cars, I can assure you that even with the 2.0 turbocharged powerunit, the Impreza would live with most cars on the road...
Old 02-24-05, 09:10 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Have you test-driven a Mazda 3?
Yes.....maybe you can buy a Focus for less, but you will find out why the Mazda costs more when you drive it....especially the top-of-the-line model with the 160 HP engine and sport suspension. They don't call Mazda the poor man's BMW for nothing. (Trust me ).
Yes, it's an okay car. Has the same qualities as the Mazda 6, very nice but poorly built. The lower model Mazda 3's are way too slow. It's platform twin the Ford Focus actually has more oomph and agility. When I was working in rental, we had our fair share of "testing" the new cars. The Toyota Corolla does quite well in this segment. Especially with having the title of a name that has sold the most worldwide.