IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Sportcross Glass Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-15, 01:50 PM
smack5099
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportcross Glass Replacement

I've got a 2004 IS-300 Sportcross that had the passenger side rear quarter panel smashed. (Thank you, Maryland, for making me take all the tint out, enticing anyone with any random junk that might be in the back.)
Safelite says there is only one replacement rear panel glass in the entire country (!) and that just the part itself will cost $350. Now, maybe this is legit. It's not a common car. But I can't help but be reminded of when I had to replace the rear windshield wiper. Every place told me they couldn't get the part, that I had to go the dealer. Since the dealer wouldn't respond to me, I finally went to Advance Auto Parts, picked up a wiper that was the right size, and it snapped on perfectly (as the clerk was telling me they didn't carry the part and couldn't order it).

Is there any possibility this panel could be much more readily available (and cheaper) than the official dealer information, and if so is there any way for me to find out rather than simply taking Safelite's word for it? Once I get this replaced, will it really then be impossible to replace ever again because the whole country will be out of stock?
Old 05-30-15, 04:29 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

It's possible. But you're going to have to check a database of junkyards for a replacement window.

The majority of Sportcross's on the road today are rebuilt titles only because they are way to expensive to repair.
There may be 10k+ IS300s out there, so there are plenty of parts for them available, but when it comes to us there were only 3088 for all of north America.

At this point the easiest place to find parts that are Sportcross specific are junkyards since so many have been totalled out.