IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Looking for IS300

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 05:33 AM
durango481
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for IS300

Im new to this forum and this is my first post. Im looking to buy my first IS300 and first Lexus. Ive been searching for a car to drive for work and i have my heart set on the IS. I was just wondering what I should be looking for when im shopping around, for example any issues these cars have i should stay away from? Any maintenance such as the timing belt that i should make sure has been done? Common problems? Im looking to spend $4-$5k so i know im not going to be buying a brand new car or anything, i just want to make sure i dont get someone elses headache. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-03-15, 06:12 PM
CapeCodder
Driver School Candidate

Default Where are you?

I have a 2003 IS300 with lots of after market add-ons, too many to list quickly--
I am considering selling; I am in MA on Cape Cod.

Let me know if you want a pic and specifics.

Originally Posted by durango481
Im new to this forum and this is my first post. Im looking to buy my first IS300 and first Lexus. Ive been searching for a car to drive for work and i have my heart set on the IS. I was just wondering what I should be looking for when im shopping around, for example any issues these cars have i should stay away from? Any maintenance such as the timing belt that i should make sure has been done? Common problems? Im looking to spend $4-$5k so i know im not going to be buying a brand new car or anything, i just want to make sure i dont get someone elses headache. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-10-15, 09:02 PM
SJK9er
Driver School Candidate

I spent about 6 month looking for an IS300.

Try to find one as stock as humanly possible. This will remove 99% of the risk of "headaches".

These cars engines and transmissions (automatics) are pretty reliable and strong. Check for the typical engine knocks and ticks, oil leaks and weeping (around the valve cover). The car should pull strong when getting on it and not hesitate or shift sluggishly.

Take it to a parking lot, turn the wheel hard and get on it...should not hear any knocks from the suspension or steering.

If you hear a single CLUNK from the brake, that's pretty typical from the IS brakes...they float and make strange noises because they lose lubrication or get a little warped.

Interior wise, the dash board will most likely have a lot of damage...the IS dash (excluding the 2001) is garbage and the paint Lexus/Toyota used gets tacky and scratched just by looking at it haha.

I found my 2004 IS300 sitting at a dealership. Bone stock, service records, mint condition interior, minor scratches on the exterior (fixed by dealer) for $8000 (I talked them down from $10,995). So for your budget you can certainly get a strong running IS300 with an OK interior/exterior...don't be afraid to walk away and keep looking...youll find a diamond in the rough eventually.

Good luck!!

EDIT: If you find one with over 120K miles, MAKE SURE the 120k mile service was completed, or at the very least the timing belt was changed. Its a $1000 service that replaces a lot of the wearable parts on the front of the engine (pulleys, timing belt, water pump, seals). Request a carfax or comparable report. It will list any service that was completed such as the 60k, 90k, and 120k mile service (those are the important ones).

Last edited by SJK9er; 03-10-15 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 06:32 AM
durango481
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CapeCodder
I have a 2003 IS300 with lots of after market add-ons, too many to list quickly--
I am considering selling; I am in MA on Cape Cod.

Let me know if you want a pic and specifics.
I'm in Delaware so you're a little far but thanks anyways

Originally Posted by SJK9er
I spent about 6 month looking for an IS300.

Try to find one as stock as humanly possible. This will remove 99% of the risk of "headaches".

These cars engines and transmissions (automatics) are pretty reliable and strong. Check for the typical engine knocks and ticks, oil leaks and weeping (around the valve cover). The car should pull strong when getting on it and not hesitate or shift sluggishly.

Take it to a parking lot, turn the wheel hard and get on it...should not hear any knocks from the suspension or steering.

If you hear a single CLUNK from the brake, that's pretty typical from the IS brakes...they float and make strange noises because they lose lubrication or get a little warped.

Interior wise, the dash board will most likely have a lot of damage...the IS dash (excluding the 2001) is garbage and the paint Lexus/Toyota used gets tacky and scratched just by looking at it haha.

I found my 2004 IS300 sitting at a dealership. Bone stock, service records, mint condition interior, minor scratches on the exterior (fixed by dealer) for $8000 (I talked them down from $10,995). So for your budget you can certainly get a strong running IS300 with an OK interior/exterior...don't be afraid to walk away and keep looking...youll find a diamond in the rough eventually.

Good luck!!

EDIT: If you find one with over 120K miles, MAKE SURE the 120k mile service was completed, or at the very least the timing belt was changed. Its a $1000 service that replaces a lot of the wearable parts on the front of the engine (pulleys, timing belt, water pump, seals). Request a carfax or comparable report. It will list any service that was completed such as the 60k, 90k, and 120k mile service (those are the important ones).
Thanks for all your info. I'm in no rush by any means I want to find a nice car especially since I will be driving it a lot for work. I'll keep all of these tips noted when I go to a dealership. I found a pretty clean looking 04 with only 83k miles not to far away from me. Going to look into it.
Old 03-12-15, 10:33 AM
ullbsorry
Driver School Candidate

03 silver is300. 147k miles, bone stock, 20% tint. Dayton, Ohio area

$5800 though
Old 03-13-15, 07:26 PM
durango481
Driver School Candidate

I found an 04 Sports Design in amazing condition cosmetically but it has 163000 miles. The mileage scares me, is this high mileage for an IS300 or am I just being paranoid?
Old 03-16-15, 06:34 AM
SJK9er
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by durango481
I found an 04 Sports Design in amazing condition cosmetically but it has 163000 miles. The mileage scares me, is this high mileage for an IS300 or am I just being paranoid?
That's relatively high for any used vehicle. But, if the service records are on file (all of them),can get it checked out by a mechanic, and the price is low then it may be worth it.

At that mileage, the engine is probably still very strong, but wearable parts are going to need to be replaced...I.E. Suspension components, steering parts, pulleys..anything that has greased bearings that is original is gonna start wearing out.

You can use that to your advantage when negotiating though, and just have a couple grand on standby to fix it up.
Old 03-18-15, 12:12 PM
kenne01l
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Just sold my 2001 IS300 for 3 grand, amazing car had 204,000 miles on it and zero mechanical issues. Drove it every day even in MN winters car looks amazing still. Shame I didn't join the forum sooner. I'd buy one again as I really loved that car. I see a few running around my neck of the woods being driven by mid aged women those are probably stock. I could try getting you in touch with the,
Old 03-23-15, 08:08 PM
RUCKER
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a screaming deal on mine. Still running strong and showing no signs of slowing. 02' 5spd manual w/ LSD clean title, never seen snow, was a Florida car it's whole life, now a Cali car. Bought @ 197k miles, got it for $4k. Bone stock except for eibach prokit suspension and exhaust.

Turned 210k miles just yesterday. My mechanic thought it looked and drove like it had under 100k miles. So I'm stoked with it, regardless of the high mileage.

I couldn't be more happy with my car, and get tons of compliments. I have people pulling over and parking their G35's and other **** doing walk arounds on my car, wondering if I have a turbo n ****. Lol. I'll walk out of the store after getting groceries and see dudes just walking around marveling at my car. ****s hilarious.