IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Anyone own/drive an IS300 and the new 3 series?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-01, 04:24 PM
russ325

I'm contemplating either a 330 or and IS300. I know that in '02 Lexus with have a 5 speed manual avalible, and they've now got my attention. I'm still not clear on whether or not they'll have a 2-door as well. The IS300 is an attractive looking car in my opinon, it's got a hip, modern look. I look at things like the aluminium pedals, shift ****, the dash trim, those are all things that I would get in the aftermarket for the bimmer should I choose to get it, with the IS300 those are standard (aren't they?) and the new 3 looks sorta boring in comparison, but has a kind of classic look to it. Any personal experiences? Going for a 20 min test drive isn't gonna be enough to sell me on either car.

Thanks,
russ
Old 03-21-01, 06:22 PM
Lucky

Questions:
Are you tall? 6 ' or more--No moonroof for you in the BMW!
Do you like responsive steering?--No pre-march build BMW, then.
Good design?--Tie.
Manual tranny?--BMW
Fun-to-drive?--BMW is sedate. IS is fun.
Cost conscious?--BMW is 7K more than the IS for comparable equipment.

I drove both with the same equipment. I bought an IS.
Old 03-21-01, 08:05 PM
Harrier
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add to Lucky's awesome IS or 3 Quiz:

Manual tranny set to come out this fall.
Your assumptions on BMW would-be aftermarket parts ARE standard on the IS.

Coupe is most likely in Japan, possible for US. If anything, expect it at least a full year after the manual tranny is released. The SportsCross is definitely coming out, so coupe isn't a longshot. What would be a longshot is the Cabriolet.
Old 03-21-01, 08:50 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Driving the IS300 will get looks from the young ladies...big grins and waves. Driving the BMW will be DULL and BORING to 99.9% of the people out there. No looks. Dated design is so old that even the Dinosaurs know to stay away from them.

Percy
Old 03-21-01, 10:06 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Percy
Driving the IS300 will get looks from the young ladies...big grins and waves. Driving the BMW will be DULL and BORING to 99.9% of the people out there. No looks. Dated design is so old that even the Dinosaurs know to stay away from them.

Percy

very true percy.

You know with all the Japanese aftermarket parts, you have so many possibilities.

What about the Beamers? In my school UCI, every 100 car there will be about 40% Accords and Camrys, 20% Civics and Integras, and 10% BMW 3 series. Just way too many of those.

And what about aftermarket parts? Every 10 3 series with rims I see, 5 has Hamann PG2, 3 has MVR, and 2 has AC Schnitzer. Man, they're always dark tinted, slammed, and wheels. Bodykit? Only a few, and all of them are Hamann kits. Talk about lack of originality.
Old 03-21-01, 11:36 PM
russ325

Default Hey, Thanks for the input everyone

Man, I really don't have to worry about head room in any car, I've got short parents, thus I ended up being 5' 6". I know all about the aftermarket for BMW's, my current car is a 93 325, so I know who's out there, how overpriced they are and lack of avalibility incomparison to Asian import cars, that's damn near enough to make me jump ship right there!

Thanks again for the help
russ

Old 03-21-01, 11:37 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cost and fun factor?

IS3, minimum cost factor, infinite fun possibilities.

if manual tranny is what you want, wait for the IS. if you can live with the F-1 type shifting(like me), now is the time for IS. with IS, you already have half of the goodies from the factory, and you can really focus on the perfomance mod(not that it is slow). ooh, and the stopping power, ammmaaaazzzing......i am shaking just thinking about it....

a professional auto journalist with an IS actually kept up the pace with a mustang from the traffic light, that says a lot. and you get reliabilty as std equip. this is the car i never had in college. but i am a lex fan, so take my 2cents as you wish.

currently the best deal is $400 over invoice, plus fees. too bad my wife would not allow me to get one.
Old 03-22-01, 08:07 PM
russ325

Thanks again for everyones input. I hate making up my mind and it could be awhile, plus I don't have 35k laying around the house right now... Hell, as a matter of fact, my bimmer's in the shop right now getting damn near everything involved in cooling the engine replaced... just under a grand to fix everything. Yup, the IS is looking better and better everyday

Thank you all,
russ
Old 03-24-01, 11:09 AM
Lexus Luthor
Rookie

Thats the other great thing is that the IS service costs...you don't have to take out a second morgage on the house to get your oil changed w/ the IS.

BMW are hot cars but only when they are fixed up properly. Clean and subtle. Major $$$$ for that stuff too.
Old 04-06-01, 11:29 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had a 330CI.. it was sweet but the interior was super boring... also.. to save the cash on parts.. and the monthy payments...I went to the IS much nicer car for less money and parts are WAY CHEAPR
Old 04-13-01, 07:54 AM
edawg
Pole Position

I have just got the IS300 and i love it...and my cousin just got the bmw 328I and it is cool and everything but i like my IS300 just a little better the comfort for me was a little better in my IS and there is soo much to look at in the IS and bmw are jus standard gauges. I dont know which is faster but ill let you you as soon as we race....
Old 04-13-01, 10:13 AM
TampaSVT

I test drove both over the last couple of weeks.

BMW330: SUPER BORING even w/sport package.

IS300: Sitting in the driveway.

The Germans sure do have a different take on creature comforts, IMHO.

Old 04-16-01, 07:28 AM
edawg
Pole Position

The Tallies are in.......I raced my cousin this past weekend and i have to say that the bmw 328ci isnt that fast....of course i won but the funny thing is that his bmw is a lil quik on take off but my caught up to his even quiker.....hmmmmm....
Old 04-16-01, 09:01 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

what year 328ci? 99-2001? also what speed did you race too? you beat him? is his stock and your stock? the 328ci should be about the same if not alittle better off the line and the numbers on the car are about the same... should be almost a dead tie or the bimmer inching you out... but it does all come down to the driver..
Old 04-17-01, 07:21 AM
edawg
Pole Position

my cosuins bimmer is 2001 and we to about 80 or 90 in a 35 zone( kids dont try this at home).. just to bad he got a ticket......lol....we are both all stock......