Parking / side / city lights on with interiors - IS300

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 11:15 AM
TomLSIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking / side / city lights on with interiors - IS300

Hi All,
I bought my IS300 3 weeks ago and I love it! However I can never leave anything alone for long, so here I am!

I am trying to find the best way of making my sidelights come on when I unlock the car, and off when I lock it. I plan to tap into the interior lighting circuit as per attached picture, but I don't know what colour the relay control wire is that feeds the light switch on the steering wheel stalk.
does someone have an appropriate diagram, or better still has anyone done this before?! Of course I could just run the interior power out to the side light wires under the bonnet, but that's just messy, and I'm not sure the ignition ring wires are up to providing much power.

I know the attached image is probably an oversimplification, but it is just to show what I mean!

Cheers,
Tom.
Attached Thumbnails Parking / side / city lights on with interiors - IS300-sidelight-unlock.png  
Old 12-04-14, 11:25 PM
Dispin
Rookie

I think the wiring will be different from US cars because the US has different laws. I can take some pictures tomorrow to show you the headlight difference (I'm not sure of the difference between a US and UK is300, but I know the is200). For example, there are no sidelights on my US is300 headlight. Seen in the pic below, which is my old UK is200. The sidelights are on. I think the equivalent is the side marker on the US IS300 but I'm not sure.
Parking / side / city lights on with interiors - IS300-jeiugwwl.jpg
Old 12-05-14, 10:26 AM
TomLSIS300
Driver School Candidate

Hi Dispin.

I had feared as much - all the diagrams I can find seem to be US spec. I am just hoping that the wires feeding the stalk switch are the same colour; I have determined that im looking for a red wire and a white with black stripe that need shorting together to simulate the first switch position. If i can find those I will be on to a winner...
Old 12-05-14, 02:13 PM
Dispin
Rookie

Originally Posted by TomLSIS300
Hi Dispin.

I had feared as much - all the diagrams I can find seem to be US spec. I am just hoping that the wires feeding the stalk switch are the same colour; I have determined that im looking for a red wire and a white with black stripe that need shorting together to simulate the first switch position. If i can find those I will be on to a winner...
I went and had a look at my US IS300 and maybe they are the same? I'll take a video later when the engine is on so you can figure out if they use the same wiring.

These pictures were taken while the engine was off.
Parking / side / city lights on with interiors - IS300-myph6s5l.jpg

Parking / side / city lights on with interiors - IS300-qfcq4cel.jpg
Old 12-05-14, 03:55 PM
TomLSIS300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks very much for the pics
So does that mean with the lighting stalk on its first position puts on both the little 194 bulb above dip-beam bulb, AND the dip-beam itself?

Otherwise, with the exception of the US having sidemarkers, it appears to have the same small bulb above the dip-beams.

My switch positions are:
1) OFF
2) Sidelights (the little 194s and the tail lights). Works with no keys.
3) Dip-beam headlights + same as position 2. Dip beams work only with key turned to second click.
4) AUTO. Not concerned with this.
Old 12-06-14, 06:25 PM
Dispin
Rookie

Originally Posted by TomLSIS300
Thanks very much for the pics
So does that mean with the lighting stalk on its first position puts on both the little 194 bulb above dip-beam bulb, AND the dip-beam itself?

Otherwise, with the exception of the US having sidemarkers, it appears to have the same small bulb above the dip-beams.

My switch positions are:
1) OFF
2) Sidelights (the little 194s and the tail lights). Works with no keys.
3) Dip-beam headlights + same as position 2. Dip beams work only with key turned to second click.
4) AUTO. Not concerned with this.
Ok, these are all with the engine running. Starting with off, then sidelights, headlights then beam. None of these are auto position. It looks like they're the same.

off
Parking / side / city lights on with interiors - IS300-pai9u8hl.jpg

sidelights
Parking / side / city lights on with interiors - IS300-0ieopccl.jpg

headlights
Parking / side / city lights on with interiors - IS300-alahobrl.jpg

beam lights
Parking / side / city lights on with interiors - IS300-9b4t3r6l.jpg
Old 12-07-14, 10:22 AM
TomLSIS300
Driver School Candidate

Cool, thanks!

I got some time to tinker today - I whipped off the cover around the stalks behind the wheel, and pulled out the plug for the light/indicator stalk. After a few minutes playing around with the multimeter, I took the plunge and stuck a paper clip between the white/black and red wires in the plug that were indicated by the wiring diagram.
Presto - sidelights came on, and no clouds of smoke!

So now all I need is a small relay that will fit under the cover, 2 wires to the red and white black, and 2 wires to the interior lights, and job done!

I will post pics when I get a chance to do the job.

Thanks for the help.