IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Another noob here

Old 02-08-14, 12:25 PM
Swapper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another noob here

Hey guys excited to finally be able to actually post on here. Ive been trying to get an is300 for the past 12 years and have gone through 35+ different cars and finally got one. fell in love with them pretty much when they came out but every time i was about to get one itd slip through my fingers. finally was able to get my hands on a decent one. now i have some questions. lol

Its a 01 is300 (of course) but i dunno how to go about telling what different options were ordered on it or not. the car is bone stock and even has a complete first aid kit. (does not have the tool kit though). think it was owned by an older person. it looks to be pretty well taken care of.

Im not really goin to mod it at all until its paid off (which isnt long) but i do have some questions about a couple things.

anyways heres the car for the moment.

Old 02-09-14, 07:35 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

IS's don't have toolkits, just some random tools pressed into the foam piece that goes around the spare tire... There weren't a whole lot of options in 01... The most important one is if the car has a limited slip differential. Look at the door sticker for a 4 letter alpha numeric sequence that looks like B01B... The 4th letter is the key, if it is a B or C, you have LSD, which is awesome, if its an A, no LSD... All IS have hid's and 6 disc in dash changer, maybe the only other real option was sunroof or not, though I'm not sure... (Edit: only option aside from what I listed is heated seats or not)

Welcome and looks good, my second favorite color of the IS's...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 02-09-14 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-09-14, 12:41 PM
Swapper
Driver School Candidate

thanx..

sorry that was what i meant by tool kit. that foam piece with random tools stuck in it. lol.

damnit i got a "A" eh whatever i just bought it to have a nice car to cruise in.

i have a couple questions now if anyone can answer them?

i only got the transponder key without the buttons and have been looking into either getting the buttons or just adding a fancy alarm to it but my buddy gave me a pair of keyfob things that he bought for his 01 solara. i was wonderign if i can program those to my car?

next is i wanna upgrade the stereo and was wondering if i can just get one of those wiring kits and wire it up or will i have an issue with amps and such? (i looked in the audio section but everything was so random and couldnt find a good explanation).

this is the key fob things he gave me.
Old 02-09-14, 12:50 PM
James4394
Driver

Originally Posted by Swapper
thanx.. sorry that was what i meant by tool kit. that foam piece with random tools stuck in it. lol. damnit i got a "A" eh whatever i just bought it to have a nice car to cruise in. i have a couple questions now if anyone can answer them? i only got the transponder key without the buttons and have been looking into either getting the buttons or just adding a fancy alarm to it but my buddy gave me a pair of keyfob things that he bought for his 01 solara. i was wonderign if i can program those to my car? next is i wanna upgrade the stereo and was wondering if i can just get one of those wiring kits and wire it up or will i have an issue with amps and such? (i looked in the audio section but everything was so random and couldnt find a good explanation). this is the key fob things he gave me.
Stereo is a pain ur gonna need a wire harness from eBay about 60$ and then still u have to mod that because it's made for 02-05. It's a pain but if ur willing to put in the time go for it
Old 02-09-14, 03:02 PM
Patryk
Driver School Candidate

Im in the same boat as you the 01 where they did everything more challenging.

As for the Keyfobs,
No, you will not be able to reporgram them yourself, and a dealer will charge you an arm and a leg for it. >.>

The Radio,
The harness is 40-80$ and since where so luck to have an 01 some custom fab work will need to be done with the harness.
You have to take the amp turn on connector take the 2 wires and tap them into the harness its not too challanging its just not "Plug&Play"

Regardless, Good Luck with modifications!

-01 Is300 Owner,
Patryk
Old 02-09-14, 06:36 PM
Swapper
Driver School Candidate

Alright cool. Thanx guys. I have no issues with wiring. Is there any write UPS on the stereo stuff?
Old 02-09-14, 08:50 PM
Swapper
Driver School Candidate

So a kit like this would be good to start with?

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=360719195032