AZTurbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great work!
Old 01-13-14, 01:47 PM
jdmtim23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work man. ive been a fan since you were building sick mr2s.
Old 01-13-14, 03:39 PM
jdmtim23
Driver School Candidate

nice work man. ive been a fan since you were building sick mr2s.
Old 01-13-14, 06:45 PM
ATSMATT
Rookie

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Looking Great Matt! Will be ready for Tx2K?

Balling@$$ parts list dang.
It gets crazy fast. I never attended college and I really never plan to. Building a car of this caliber allows me to learn things no school will ever teach. While honing my engineering and fabrication skills. I'm doing my best to make TX2k.

Originally Posted by o2IS
Awesome work! Any updates?
I was sick all last week and really lost a good amount of build time. I have however been working. I'll update with pics asap

Originally Posted by Meatball
A little curious as to why (I know you said you like them) you chose a 327 GM over possibly a 4.0L SC from Lexus.
The idea behind this swap was really based around parts availability. At any given moment I can browse through hundreds of parts for sale on either my local craigslist or automotive forum. With tons of options, parts availability, great power curve and reliability the GM LS based engine was a solid choice.

Now does that make me a GM fan? No I've owned a handful of MKiv supras and have a deep love for the 2jzgte. Does swapping a cheap readily available engine into an affordable tasteful sedan make a good business model? YES!
Old 01-13-14, 07:31 PM
ATSMATT
Rookie

Seems I'm a bit past due for an update.

Normally for these swaps I modify a stock GM pan to clear the subframe. This is fine and all but with this being a high HP engine I'd like to keep as much oil in the sump as possible. To do so I was forced to section the front cross-member. Nothing a 4.5 inch grinder and a tig welder cant fix.

Knowing the camber/toe sweep of the IS300 was a bit on the aggressive side I decided to make my own lower control arms with the idea of minimizing the steep camber/toe curve. While I didn't take any good pictures of it; I actually performed a few tests with the car sitting on our Hunter alignment machine. With the strut removed I could raise and lower the car simulating a bump or drag launch scenario. By doing so I calculated my lower control arm length reducing my camber/toe rate. Here's the modified top hat and tubular lower control arm.

They look cool and all but what I failed to notice is that with the strut mounting location above the center line of the the LCA upon weight transfer the strut would tend to rotate the lca. I learned something...awesome that's the idea of this project. Learning and evolving as I go

So on to the new design. Still unfinished in these pics I built some LCA's with a shock mounting point below the hub/subframe center line.

Its nice to work in a shop with all the right tools and the absolute best backdrop.

I decided to invert the double adjustable coil overs in favor of some extra sprung weight. (still with the old LCA's)

The money shot (wide angle lens) Lower LCA's installed and fuctional. More updates to come soon.
Old 03-14-14, 01:31 PM
ISaL3X
Rookie

Originally Posted by ATSMATT

The money shot (wide angle lens) Lower LCA's installed and fuctional. More updates to come soon.

Great build Matt Congrats on 861rwhp. I honestly expected more from the way it looks and how it's built, but that's still a crazy number.
Old 03-17-14, 05:54 AM
ATSMATT
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISaL3X
Great build Matt Congrats on 861rwhp. I honestly expected more from the way it looks and how it's built, but that's still a crazy number.
Thank you but don't even begin to think I'm finished. Most people don't "expect" their significant others to cheat but it happens .

Where do I start? The last couple months has been a sick and twisted time warp. Between working full time at T1 Race Development and living 50 miles from the shop I found myself pressed for time. A build of this caliber isn't meant to come together in a matter of weeks; most would take a better part of a year to complete. Just to give some background the short block hit my hands on Tuesday March 4th, we fired the car for the first time on Sunday the 9th, this is were I noticed the O-rings didn't crush completely, so now the heads come off Monday March 10th back on with some LS9 gaskets the same day and onto the dyno. With Tony Palo in control of the Motec M150 we finished on the Mainline dyno around 4am Tuesday morning making 700hp @11 psi and spinning with any additional boost.

From here I proceeded to grab a 4 hour nap, wake up, assemble the interior including the dash board, made a custom carbon bezel for the Motec dash, install bumpers, install the hood with the tedious Areo latches, among many other things. By now its Tuesday March the 11th around 6pm we have all the GTR's loaded and ready so I make a test pass down our street for a brake test and load it on the trailer. Now we're headed to college station for the roll races while I'm falling asleep behind the wheel towing 3 months of my life on the trailer lol.

So in the massive amount of spare time I had we never made time to up the boost. It made 16 psi on the Hennessey dynojet and laid down an un-optimized 861whp. Honestly I was just happy the ***** moved under its own power. In the time crunch I only installed the essentials while leaving out knock sensors, wheel speed, emap, brake pressure and a number of other items that would help this thing down the track.

Where do we go from here? We turn the damn boost up and dial in the motorsports side of the Motec, thats what we do! I have at least 10psi left on the table along with hours of tuning. I set the suspension up to be stiff so I could make some shake down passes with a lot of vehicle feed back. First pass ever was a 10.88 @134 with a embarrassing 2.2 60 ft lifting around the 1000 ft mark. This car will be very fast in the near future. I consider this to be my master project and I wont stop until the beast is completed.

For everyone who supported me through the build I thank you. And to everyone who shook my hand and introduced themselves hopefully we'll meet again.

Here's the Revvolution artical written by Stuart Leiby
http://www.revvolution.com/blog/2014...-swapped-is300

First hit hazing the tires
Old 05-30-14, 07:20 PM
Justins311
Driver School Candidate

Nice work Matt. Looking forward to stage 2 of the build as I know its on its way!......
Old 05-30-14, 09:10 PM
x02xIS300x
Driver School Candidate

wow, simply amazing!!
Old 06-02-14, 05:31 AM
KCCOAbel
Driver School Candidate

i am definitely in for more updates!! this thing is sick!!!
Old 06-02-14, 07:03 AM
Justins311
Driver School Candidate

No offense to ISaL3x, but how jaded have we become in the car world when 1000bhp and a 10.8 "shakedown" pass is a "let down" lol. Quite honestly if it were my car I would dial back the boost and get used to the car, get the 60' down and just enjoy racing and driving that beast. I guess as I've gotten older numbers mean less and overall car experience means more, and good god would I love that car experience. Definitely jealous!
Old 10-14-14, 08:28 PM
twinzdad07
Driver School Candidate

Wowsers...very serious build.
Old 10-15-14, 06:53 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stumbled upon this thread and WOW it's a beautiful build. I love how you fabricated so much on your own. I wish I knew how to do the things you did in the shop. Awesome Jon and that pass is an Awesome first pass. Would love to hear updates.
Old 12-17-14, 01:57 PM
penniston
Driver School Candidate

Wink differential

hello how are you what differential did you use thank you
Old 03-23-15, 03:16 PM
penniston
Driver School Candidate

Default wheel spec

hi what is the wheels spec on the is300 thank you