IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS 430- V8 Power!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-03, 03:10 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a chance to read up on a short article in Car & Driver (I think?) earlier today while I was getting a haircut and it said they are working on an IS430 with a 300hp V-8. It also mentioned that they might supercharge the V-8 giving it an estimated 400hp. :eek:
Old 01-24-03, 03:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by IS300eR
LMAO...haven't been to CL for so long and now pplz here believe in a hoax like this....muahahhahahaha

2 simple facts:

1. IS430 will never come out in US
2. IS300 will not have a remodel for at least 6 more years (or at least after the GS and LS gets remodel)

i believe one but i won't believe two. for another 6 yrs that would be 8 yrs span for the current IS, pretty hard to happen imho. and for what it's worth, why are you so sure then?
Old 01-24-03, 03:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by BR1AN
I had a chance to read up on a short article in Car & Driver (I think?) earlier today while I was getting a haircut and it said they are working on an IS430 with a 300hp V-8. It also mentioned that they might supercharge the V-8 giving it an estimated 400hp. :eek:

that's tte, they already have the prototype v8, but the sc is not working yet. it's far from lexus itself releasing is430 though
Old 01-24-03, 04:04 AM
IS300eR
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl

i believe one but i won't believe two. for another 6 yrs that would be 8 yrs span for the current IS, pretty hard to happen imho. and for what it's worth, why are you so sure then?
well, how long did it take SCs to redesign?...didn't they came out back in the early nineties? ...maybe it'll take less for the IS3...but definatly at least 6 yrs for the life spam
Old 01-24-03, 04:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well, how long did it take SCs to redesign?...didn't they came out back in the early nineties? ...maybe it'll take less for the IS3...but definatly at least 6 yrs for the life spam
6 yrs span i think is very possible though. that means redesign in 06, makes a lot of sense
Old 01-24-03, 11:31 AM
kvoman
Driver

BR1AN is correct.

I saw the same article in Car-n-Driver about two/three months ago. It will be the IS430 and it's main competitors are the M3 and the upcoming souped up Audi S4R. The article claimed the IS430 will be available in the US in time to compete with the new S4R (supposedly 350HP).
Old 01-24-03, 11:35 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

LMAO...haven't been to CL for so long and now pplz here believe in a hoax like this....muahahhahahaha

2 simple facts:

1. IS430 will never come out in US
2. IS300 will not have a remodel for at least 6 more years (or at least after the GS and LS gets remodel)

that is all

Sorry buddy, but you are wrong
it is coming out
and at a dealer near you soon
muaaahhhhahhahahahah

Old 01-24-03, 02:21 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl

that's tte, they already have the prototype v8, but the sc is not working yet. it's far from lexus itself releasing is430 though
I'm with rominl on this one.
Old 01-24-03, 02:23 PM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Guys, I don't think its gonna be a huge makeover. I think they are just lookin @ adding a performance version of the IS ie M3, S4, AMG.
Old 01-24-03, 02:55 PM
IS300eR
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by dgtbullet
someone need to go look at is300.net forums ...

it won't come out in the US...it's a fact
Old 01-24-03, 03:38 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SHO ME DA MONEY

Not trying to flame anyone, but from all of the responses I've read, it appears most of what was said was either forum gossip, read out of a magazine, rumors or just personal opinion?

If anyone's got some 1st hand knowledge or something close to it, then please substantiate your sources, so we can get closer to the truth.

Here's my lowdown:

I have a 1st hand knowledge from a source who works with Toyota Product development that an IS430 project did exist out here in California. There is atleast one IS430 project car that was built with Toyota backing.

A few months ago I heard the project was canned. No explanation as to why and it is unknown as to the chances of the project being revived or if it could reincarnate into another form.

So if some magazine said there was an IS430 is coming out, that was probably true at some point in time, but marketing folk typically jump the gun with such info, and things CAN change. (Magazine info is like 3 months old by the time you read it).

All I really care to know is what is really going on in the minds of the Lexus Corporate Execs? If there is no corporate focus to market a car to compete with the likes of the M5, M3, etc. then it's just not gonna happen.

I want an IS430 myself, but it's no longer on the radar screen at Lexus from what I can tell.

As far as how reliable my sources are, I had Ethan (Static 911) check into my claims, through "his" reliable sources and he confirmed it. So we 've got two independent Toyota sources reporting the same thing.

This info is now several months old. If anyone has any newer updates or better info than this, I'd sure like to hear it.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-24-03 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-24-03, 04:43 PM
Static911

From what I understand talking to Lexus last week, if there is too much hype, Lexus might step up to the plate and produce it. I too have heard interesting stuff about that IS 430 RMMGS4 is talking about.

Ethan

Last edited by Static911; 01-24-03 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-24-03, 09:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i agree with rmmgs4 on this one too. rumors are everywhere, but which one of them is really right. so far the sources from rmmgs4 and static911 are the ONLY ONES that's really reliable from what i can tell, all others are stuff from salespeople, technician, forums, etc... that i really can't bet my money on.

i don't have any sources of my own at all, so i will never go into whether the car will make its way out or not. but on the other hand i am kinda predicting its birth from marketing point of view, that it really doesn't make much sense for lexus to make the car. pricewise they would have a very hard time positioning the car, and if you filter in the performance figures as well it just makes it even worse for them to produce the car.

technology wise there is no problem i am sure, tte obviously has done it, and i have my own reliable source telling me that trd has already put the v8 on the altezza ever since its debut. so that side is no problem.

imho what would i get, that's a tough issue. the i6 on the is300 is strong everyone knows, no one would have problem putting turbo on the car to make it a true beast. and i am sure by adding turbo to the is300 (current one) will give the car more power at a lower cost than putting the v8 in. from that aspect i don't see why i should get is430 if it comes out. on the other hand i have a feeling the v8 would be a smoother ride.

one interesting fact would be that toyota will ditch te i6 and put the v6 in some time along the line. they have already said that they will put v6 in the gs300 coz' of emission problem in japan, so it makes most sense that the is300 will go with v6 too. that v6 will also be used for twin turbo on the v300 aristo in japan, so that engine should be strong too. but if the v6 goes into the is300 later on, how long would it take companies to make new turbo for the new v6? and just as reliable as the i6?
Old 01-26-03, 08:45 PM
Silver Ghozt
Driver

One of the salesman at Jim Falk Lexus in Beverly Hills told me that he expects an is430 next year. I don't know how good his info is, but that's what he told me.
Old 01-27-03, 01:06 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

If anyone gets a IS430, I'll race you.

Quick Reply: IS 430- V8 Power!!!!