IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

02 IS300 will not stay running

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 05:44 PM
timIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02 IS300 will not stay running

So I have some issues with my 2002 IS300 with 145,000 miles on it.

Sitting at a stop light I decide I am going to race the little Acura CL next to me that thinks his car is sweet. I hit the gas and get the car up to 4,000 RPMs and I lose all power and then the engine "lunges" and dies completely. All the idiot lights on the dash come on and I am dead on the road. So I pull over and park the car. I turn the key off and go to start it back up to see if it simply would restart. The engine cranks and starts but then immediately dies.

So, I read information from this forum as well as My.IS and see people talking about their fuel pump cutting out and hitting it with a hammer to correct it. So my brother comes to help and bangs on the fuel pump with a mallet as I am cranking over the car. The same occurs, the engine starts but immediately dies.

We start checking fuses. Swapping the ECR with the horn to make sure the relay isn't bad. Same outcome. So I start thinking a little further and come to the conclusion that the car is getting enough gas to start, but something is not allowing either fuel to continue to pump or air to be pulled into the engine.

I pull the plug on the MAF sensor and sure enough the car starts and idles. Of course, with the MAF sensor disconnected the TRAC OFF light flashes at me but the car will drive. So, I get the car home and today pull the MAF sensor out to clean it. It was very, very dirty. I was able to get the Red needle back to a dark red color, however, the wires in the MAF tube were caked with crap. I don't dare touch them as they are very, very brittle. I clean them both with Residue Free Electronics cleaner. I place the MAF sensor back in the car, disconnect the battery, pump the brakes ten time, wait ten minutes, pump the brakes again ten times and then reconnect the battery to reset the ECU.

I start the car and it immediately dies after firing up. At this point I have ordered a new Denso MAF Sensor from Rock Auto. It will be here Friday, but I am unsure as to what else could possibly be the issue besides the Fuel Pump not continuing to pump after start up.

I can tell you the guy I bought it from clearly did NO MAINTENANCE WHAT-SO-EVER on the car. It is a 2002 Lexus IS300 with 145,000 miles. I changed the Timing Belt, Water Pump, Accessory Belt at 144,000. The car has the CEL on, but it is for the O2 Sensors and a EVAP leak. No other codes are being thrown talking about air to fuel or anything else that I can see would cause the issue.

You guys are some of the most knowledgeable I know when it comes to these cars. Does anyone have any suggestions or things I could try to see what is going on. I am tired of listening
to the wife say "You bought a Lemon."

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-13, 07:57 PM
timIS300
Driver School Candidate

Just for some more info, I tested resistance across terminal on and two on the MAF Sensor and found the sensor is bad sitting at 3 Ohms. Typical operating is between 1 and 2 ohms I have seen. Any variation past that means the sensor is bad.

I have searched the forums for similar issues and have found some, but not quite like what I am describing. This is why I felt the need for a new thread. Sorry, just trying to justify it with myself as I hate seeing threads that are already answered.
Old 11-07-13, 09:21 PM
timIS300
Driver School Candidate

Any help with this issue guys? I am replacing the MAF Sensor, thoroughly cleaning the TB and Intake. Plan to do a fuel line pressure test and a few other things to see if I can determine what is going on.

I know I can't be the only one here who has had this same issue. Any input is greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
Dangerjdm (10-24-20)
Old 11-16-13, 09:30 AM
trivis300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd replace the MAF and go from there. Make sure the whole intake side of things are free form any leaks/cracks. Also check o2 sensors.