Diagnostics help and meaning on lexusis300

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 04:53 AM
Damo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Diagnostics help and meaning on lexusis300

Hi guys, I have a 2001 Lexus is300
I went through hell and back with this car.
At first it wasn't starting. This guy said it was the camshaft sensor, and he told me it was maybe my spark plugs, he changed that and my ignition wires. It started for a day and the next day it didnt. Then he said my fuel pump so changed that also.

It starts but now, but in order for it to start, you either need to crank it two times or crank it longer than usual. it makes this blurp blurp blurp sound, you also need to gas it so it can run smoothly while starting it. my gas needle ain't working properly, my engine check light is on, and my trac off light is blinking on and off. When i go on certain roads, the wheels sorta go left to right.

So now, my friend diagnosed it and these were the codes:
P300 Random Misfire
P301 Cylinder 1 Misfire
P302 Cylinder 2 Misfire
P303 Cylinder 3 Misfire
P0715 Speed Sensor Circuit

Can anyone help me figure out whats wrong with my IS? Or did anyone have the same problem? Please and thank you
Old 07-17-13, 07:56 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to be funny but did you check to see if you have gas in the car? I know you mentioned your gauge doesnt work. Also How many miles are on the car? Im pretty sure if it was the cam sensor it would throw a code. the reason your cel and tracking is blinking is because of the misfire. Have you tried to reset your ecu to see what codes back? to reset your ecu just pull the neg battery cable for a few mins.
Old 07-18-13, 06:30 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Agreed. Perhaps the gas is low.
Old 07-23-13, 04:53 AM
Damo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
Not to be funny but did you check to see if you have gas in the car? I know you mentioned your gauge doesnt work. Also How many miles are on the car? Im pretty sure if it was the cam sensor it would throw a code. the reason your cel and tracking is blinking is because of the misfire. Have you tried to reset your ecu to see what codes back? to reset your ecu just pull the neg battery cable for a few mins.

Yes I do have gas. The car is about almost 150,000 mileage. I will reset the ECU when I get the chance. Besides that, any help on knowing anything bout the codes?
Old 07-23-13, 07:20 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Usually if you have a random misfire you will get those codes. But since you changed the plugs and wires it should go away once you clear the codes. If it comes back then i would check to make sure the gaps on the plugs are correct. Yoru CEL and TRac is blinking because of the random misfires. Once you clear your codes let us know if it helps or stil the same.
Old 07-23-13, 10:43 AM
BoostdIS30
Driver

Same thing happened to mine except its just the check engine light and traction control light kept blinking and I'm pretty sure that its because of a misfire code coming from bad o2 sensors which need to be replaced. Good luck.
Old 07-24-13, 06:34 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Usually if its a bad o2 sensor it would throw an code for that not a misfire.
Old 07-25-13, 11:40 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I would check into the mass air flow sensor before anything else - reason I say that - it not working properly would also cause incorrect fuel level calculations, thus an inaccurate fuel gauge...

it can also cause misfires without setting a code for the mass air flow as well...

O2 sensors rarely ever cause misfires, though it is possible...
Old 07-28-13, 05:43 PM
ToyotaPro
Rookie

Although the car has gas that doesn't mean its good gas. It may have something in the fuel causing the misfires. A Mass Air Flow Sensor wouldn't cause a misfire but rather a lean code or a sputter. Its possible but a very very unlikely candidate. What you need is for someone to actually diagnose the car with a scantool that can read a data list and see what the fuel trims are and monitor the misfire percentages.
Old 07-31-13, 05:52 PM
Damo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ToyotaPro
Although the car has gas that doesn't mean its good gas. It may have something in the fuel causing the misfires. A Mass Air Flow Sensor wouldn't cause a misfire but rather a lean code or a sputter. Its possible but a very very unlikely candidate. What you need is for someone to actually diagnose the car with a scantool that can read a data list and see what the fuel trims are and monitor the misfire percentages.

So what is good gas? I really think its something with the fuel as well. When i start my car after a day it cranks for a long period then fires up then has this type of bubbly noise at in the end most of the time. I also smell gas after also. If i was to turn on my engine and off my engine for a few seconds and turn it back on it would start normally.

Do you think the person who changed my fuel pump did it incorrectly?
Also do you think it could be the coils?
I didn't have much time but I checked my 1st sparkplug to see if it works and it does, didn't have time to check the rest though.
Old 07-31-13, 05:55 PM
Damo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I would check into the mass air flow sensor before anything else - reason I say that - it not working properly would also cause incorrect fuel level calculations, thus an inaccurate fuel gauge...

it can also cause misfires without setting a code for the mass air flow as well...

O2 sensors rarely ever cause misfires, though it is possible...

Where is that located? i was told it must be the coil packs.
Old 07-31-13, 05:58 PM
Damo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
Usually if you have a random misfire you will get those codes. But since you changed the plugs and wires it should go away once you clear the codes. If it comes back then i would check to make sure the gaps on the plugs are correct. Yoru CEL and TRac is blinking because of the random misfires. Once you clear your codes let us know if it helps or stil the same.

So i reset my ECU and a day after it came back on. I checked cylinder 1 plug and it works. Still need to check on the 2 and 3. I was told the problem may be the coils.
Old 07-31-13, 05:59 PM
Damo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BoostdIS30
Same thing happened to mine except its just the check engine light and traction control light kept blinking and I'm pretty sure that its because of a misfire code coming from bad o2 sensors which need to be replaced. Good luck.
So how did you fix yours? Which needed replacing?
Old 07-31-13, 06:41 PM
neosxe808
Driver School Candidate

was it a used fuel pump? strange that the fuel gauge isn't working.

I would check the TPS and coilpacks.....could be a simple "its not plugged in all the way" thing also.

Worse case scenario is that the motor is shot. Was it running good before all the problems occured? How long did you have the car? Lots of salvage IS3s w/problems on the island.

Have a spare complete running motor (2003) and other stuff for sale. Usually hoard the electronic stuff since Lexus wants bank for em. PM me a contact # and I'll see if I can help....I'm in oahu also.
Old 08-01-13, 09:48 AM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You also might want to check your vvti cylinoid, sometimes controls your vvti sprocket which controls your timing.

Btw when the last time you put gas maybe you put bad gas, it doesn't happen often but maybe your one of the lucky ones

Quick Reply: Diagnostics help and meaning on lexusis300