IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Potential New IS300 Owner-- A few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-13, 04:07 PM
nathanours
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential New IS300 Owner-- A few questions...

Hey everyone,

Recently I was in a bad wreck that totaled my daily driver (an older Camry) that had always been a great little car. Since I have a 2 hour commute every day I'd like to stay with a Toyota product but have a greater level of luxury inside the vehicle.

I've got around $12,000 to spend, and have always liked the looks of the first gen IS300s, and like how they have a little bit more of a sporty nature.

I thought I'd ask those of you that own them a few questions to see whether or not this is the car for me.

First of all, how are they reliability wise?

When something does go wrong is it usually very cheap to fix?

What are the common problems I should look for when checking them out?

Anything I should look for or try to avoid?

I'm looking for a nice clean unmodified car if I can find one, with as low of miles as possible. Will I even be able to get a decent one in my price range?

What kind of mileage are people getting on these cars with the original motor and transmission?

When are the major service intervals for things like the timing belt and water pump?

Do they have a timing belt or chain, and are they an interference engine?

Do you guys find them to be comfortable for longer commutes?

I know they are not very fast, but I just want to be able to at least pass decently on the highway. Do you guys feel they have enough power for daily driving?

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate everyone's time.

Thanks for any help,

Nathan
Old 07-01-13, 01:20 AM
FPSee
Driver

reliability will be just as good as the previous owner maintaining the car. but of course good reliability will always be considered since its a toyota.

maintenance isnt as cheap as you would like it to be, OEM is never really cheap plus its a Lexus and labor price SUCKS if you dont have the right tools. there's a list on here somewhere of the interchangeable parts that you can buy at toyota dealerships for cheaper than Lexus dealerships.

things to look for is basically the same as any other car you would inspect if youre looking at the car with just your eyes and not tearing it apart and really inspecting it. i see alot of threads about O2 sensor/misfire cyl. codes with our IS'. other than that, nothing really until you start going aftermarket and needing to replace certain components. and of course look for bent frames behind the bumpers even the chassis possibly.

I'm looking for a nice clean unmodified car if I can find one, with as low of miles as possible. Will I even be able to get a decent one in my price range?

$12k is more than the usual price range i see on craigslist for an unmolested 80k miles or less IS. and they go for about $10k-$12kish ASKING price. manual might be a little more. but im sure you can find good deals. i see about $8-$9k for a little higher mileage IS in my area.

What kind of mileage are people getting on these cars with the original motor and transmission?
19 city/ 21 hwy. From Full to gas light is about 260-270 miles city/fwy combined. 45-50 miles after light til youre running on fumes. 350 miles straight hwy , from what i can rememeber. $65-$70 full tank.

When are the major service intervals for things like the timing belt and water pump?
i think 80k & 150k miles for timing belt/water pump replacement. thats just off the top of my head though. im sure its the same interval as any other car out there. the info are in the stickies somewhere.

timing belt. i believe it is an interference engine, when the timing belt snaps, it'll bend the valves. somebody might have to correct me on that

During commute the car is almost like a tank to me honestly. i didnt feel much of the road when i had my stock shocks on. comfortable for me though.

I know they are not very fast, but I just want to be able to at least pass decently on the highway. Do you guys feel they have enough power for daily driving?
i feel like i have enough power to pass motorist on the fwy. nothing crazy, but i have a manual so i can down shift

Hope you found what youre looking for and really considering an IS. i loved mine since the day i've bought it and never regretted not getting anything else or even see myself in any other car at this price range.

Last edited by FPSee; 07-01-13 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-01-13, 01:25 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FPSee
reliability will be just as good as the previous owner maintaining the car. but of course good reliability will always be considered since its a toyota.

maintenance isnt as cheap as you would like it to be, its a Lexus and labor price SUCKS if you dont have the right tools. there's a list on here somewhere of the interchangeable parts that you can buy at toyota dealerships for cheaper than Lexus dealerships.

things to look for is basically the same as any other car you would inspect if youre looking at the car with just your eyes and not tearing it apart and really inspecting it. i see alot of threads about O2 sensor/misfire cyl. codes with our IS'. other than that, nothing really until you start going aftermarket and needing to replace certain components. and of course look for bent frames behind the bumpers even the chassis possibly.

$12k is more than the usual price range i see on craigslist for an unmolested 80k miles or less IS. and they go for about $10k-$12kish ASKING price. manual might be a little more. but im sure you can find good deals. i see about $8-$9k for a little higher mileage IS in my area.

19 city/ 21 hwy. From Full to gas light is about 260-270 miles city/fwy combined. 45-50 miles after light til youre running on fumes. 350 miles straight hwy , from what i can rememeber. $65-$70 full tank.

i think 80k & 150k miles for timing belt/water pump replacement. thats just off the top of my head though. im sure its the same interval as any other car out there. the info are in the stickies somewhere.

timing belt. i believe it is an interference engine, when the timing belt snaps, it'll bend the valves. somebody might have to correct me on that

During commute the car is almost like a tank to me honestly. i didnt feel much of the road when i had my stock shocks on. comfortable for me though.

i feel like i have enough power to pass motorist on the fwy. nothing crazy, but i have a manual so i can down shift
Great answer I learned a thing or two reading your post!
Old 07-01-13, 11:20 AM
nathanours
Driver School Candidate

Awesome info, thanks! When I asked about mileage I worded it in a poor way. I meant to ask how many miles people are getting on their engines I.e. 200k, 275k etc.

!
Old 07-01-13, 01:14 PM
FPSee
Driver

ive seen people with 200k + miles no problem. i feel like my car would last another 100k easily. and im at 154k as of now.
Old 07-01-13, 05:32 PM
Willmkent
Driver School Candidate

good answer glad to see someone is getting the same gas mileage as me too ha
Old 07-02-13, 07:29 PM
nathanours
Driver School Candidate

Well, I bought one today!

2003 IS300, Auto tranny, 85k miles, clean carfax and maintenance records, 2 owners, completely stock, and in great shape.

Paid $10,000

Old 07-02-13, 09:12 PM
Markabra
Driver School Candidate

Congrats lol
Old 07-03-13, 01:15 AM
FPSee
Driver

nice man, congrats. looks really good. esp. in white. hopefully the dealer did some maintenance to the car as well. even came with a double din & tint. sheesh.
Old 07-06-13, 06:44 PM
webosc4
Driver School Candidate

nice, congrats and are those tinted windows as well...?
Old 07-07-13, 12:24 AM
nathanours
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by webosc4
nice, congrats and are those tinted windows as well...?
Ya, not super tinted, but decently dark. The stereo sounded horrible, but after bypassing the amp it actually sounds pretty good now.