IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Check engine lights on and TRAC control flashing

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 07:36 AM
voleduy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Check engine lights on and TRAC control flashing

Anyone running to the same problem before?
Old 06-03-13, 12:36 PM
Messy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes do a search and tons of stuff will come up. Most of the time when CEL comes on it disables the TRAC. Most common problems are O2 sensor and gas cap not on tight. Check you gas cap and disconnect the battery and see if it comes back. If that don't work you may need to pull code with an ODBII reader.
Old 06-03-13, 08:18 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Emissions related faults (evap system, misfire, etc) will generally cause the trac light to come on and thus disable the system...

Pull the codes and report back... you can buy a cheap obd2 scantool on ebay to use with your cell phone, or drop by most auto parts stores and they will at least pull the code for you...
Old 06-06-13, 04:53 PM
Messy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry that's about all the help you will get on this forum. Now if you asked a question about some crazy big wheels, turbo stuff, bodykit stuff, LED lights, or anything like that you would get a @#$%load of input. Seems like it's mostly kids on here and that's almost all they talk about. Any question about a standard issue that comes up with these cars and we can hear crickets chirping. The kids love to post pic of all the stupid crazy #@$% they do to these cars! I don't get it
Old 06-06-13, 06:02 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Messy
Sorry that's about all the help you will get on this forum. Now if you asked a question about some crazy big wheels, turbo stuff, bodykit stuff, LED lights, or anything like that you would get a @#$%load of input. Seems like it's mostly kids on here and that's almost all they talk about. Any question about a standard issue that comes up with these cars and we can hear crickets chirping. The kids love to post pic of all the stupid crazy #@$% they do to these cars! I don't get it
What?

I have over 5700 posts and I'd say 80% of those are helping or attempting to help people diagnose problems with their car, 19% are about modifications for more power (I have the only complete DIY AEM EMS IS300 install ever published to here or My.IS that includes base maps).

My car is 99% stock on the outside, wheels included.

Unfortunately, there are a few hundred causes of the check engine light coming on that also turn off the trac system. Without a little more info, it is impossible to guess what has caused this. You already covered the most basic - the gas cap. Aside from that, we are talking a monetary investment in parts replacement, and I hate for people to spend money unwisely, so I directed him on how to get more information so we can assist further.

Until that happens, any one here, or on any forum, for that matter, is guessing.

I suggest you stop by the Maintenance forum of Clublexus where we get pretty deep into some troubleshooting these types of issues.
Old 06-06-13, 08:26 PM
is300stev3
Driver School Candidate

It is bank 1, sensor 2. I just had the same problem. Bought a denso sensor for 85 bucks and light is gone and trac light not flashing. they work hand in hand.
Old 06-06-13, 08:27 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by is300stev3
It is bank 1, sensor 2. I just had the same problem. Bought a denso sensor for 85 bucks and light is gone and trac light not flashing. they work hand in hand.
Aside from the fact that that is only one of hundreds of causes...

For instance, mine is doing the same, but that will not fix mine, because mine is caused by my standalone altering ignition timing
Old 06-06-13, 08:30 PM
is300stev3
Driver School Candidate

CODE IS A P0037 HEATER CIRCUIT LOW. CHANGE YOUR BANK 1, SENSOR 2 and you will be good.
Old 06-06-13, 08:32 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

CODE IS A P0037 HEATER CIRCUIT LOW. CHANGE YOUR BANK 1, SENSOR 2 and you will be good.
How do you know that is his problem?
Old 06-06-13, 09:42 PM
is300stev3
Driver School Candidate

relax man. i was stating from my experience and it was the exact same issue. maybe it is something different. he has to pull the code but that is the most common cause. no need to get bent out of shape.
Old 06-06-13, 09:58 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

relax man. i was stating from my experience and it was the exact same issue. maybe it is something different. he has to pull the code but that is the most common cause. no need to get bent out of shape.
How do you figure that is the most common cause?

Even if you said, well, its an O2 sensor, which is common, there are 4 of them on an IS300...

Leading anyone down the road of replacing a single part that costs over $50 as a guess is irresponsible, when the actual diagnostic may be cheap or free...

If we were to go based on my experience with my own personal vehicle, I would say the reason is because of a misfire code being set. Which is a possible reason on his car - and there are many many reasons that a car misfires (mine doesn't really, the factory ECU just thinks it is because timing is retarded from factory settings enough to make it think it is misfiring).

So, although we appreciate the input, lets not recommend replacement of a part based on nothing more than a guess...
Old 06-08-13, 03:19 PM
voleduy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
How do you figure that is the most common cause?

Even if you said, well, its an O2 sensor, which is common, there are 4 of them on an IS300...

Leading anyone down the road of replacing a single part that costs over $50 as a guess is irresponsible, when the actual diagnostic may be cheap or free...

If we were to go based on my experience with my own personal vehicle, I would say the reason is because of a misfire code being set. Which is a possible reason on his car - and there are many many reasons that a car misfires (mine doesn't really, the factory ECU just thinks it is because timing is retarded from factory settings enough to make it think it is misfiring).

So, although we appreciate the input, lets not recommend replacement of a part based on nothing more than a guess...
I checked twice with the same failure code P0037 which is an Bank 1, Sensor 2 or the EFI relay related.
Replaced a new EFI relay, still the same. I guess I have to replace the sensor next week. That one cost $190 dealer ship. Not cheap at all
Old 08-01-13, 10:28 AM
Landen03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by voleduy
I checked twice with the same failure code P0037 which is an Bank 1, Sensor 2 or the EFI relay related.
Replaced a new EFI relay, still the same. I guess I have to replace the sensor next week. That one cost $190 dealer ship. Not cheap at all
I have the same code P0037 H0S2 Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2). Was it any trouble replacing it on your own? Anything I need to be careful of etc? Where is a reliable place to purchase online? What is the best brand to go with?

How hard is it to replace the driver's side window and motor on door lock? Someone tried to break into the car and managed to damage the lock and it will not lock automatically on driver's side, nor will it lock the other doors. Is this something that can be done at home? I had an estimate of $200 to replace the glass. Is that reasonable and would it be better for me to let someone else replace that? I'm hoping it's something that I can do and save the money.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 08-02-13, 12:51 AM
neosxe808
Driver School Candidate

Amazon has the denso sensors cheap, fyi. Think about $50 versus $100+ at dealer.
Couple of my friends bought em from there and have had no problems.

I have the 02 sensor error also since I swapped out the header and Y pipe on the car. Even when I reset, after about 5 minutes on the freeway, the trac and engine light flashes.....no biggie. One of these days I'll grab the O2 sim and change out that sensor.......

As for the door lock and glass, its not that hard. Just gotta pull the door panel off and the thin plastic "skin". Couple 10mm bolts hold the door regulator and door glass. You may have to unclip some of the door harness and unplug it if it gets in your way.

Door lock you need a fat plus screwdriver (snap on good since it won't strip the head) to take the three screws out on the side of the door. Couple rods hold the door lock and actuator, so take note of where they go since you gotta put em back the same way.

Just take your time if unsure and take photos for reference if needed. Hope this helps......

Last edited by neosxe808; 08-02-13 at 01:25 AM.