IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

01 is300 transmission flush?

Old 11-16-12, 07:25 AM
727cracker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 is300 transmission flush?

First post - used search engines already
Just got the car a month ago with an auto transmission and 150k miles. Hesitates when stepping on the pedal and the vehicle is warmed up, more often while turning.

Called a local transmission shop and asked what they charge for a flush and was told "we don't do flushes here and would never recommend doing one". He went on to say that some of these "newer cars" start acting up when it's done so we don't even bother with it.

Question is.. I've been reading around and it seems many people do the flush. Why would this guy advise against it? Should I just go somewhere else to get the flush or let him check it out his way which he says is more in depth looking at the gears and such? He's been in service for 32 years and has pretty good reviews..

will post pics of my car soon. it's nothing great, so prepare to be unimpressed when pics are up.
Old 11-18-12, 03:23 AM
Messy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are being warned about the high pressure type flush that will ruin your tranny! Even if your local shop have a low pressure bladder type flush they will use dollar store generic tranny fluid that will destroy you car as well. Find a Toyota dealer to do it. I found onr that did it for $250, pricey but I know it's right.
Old 11-18-12, 10:34 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Do it the Toyota way...

Drain/fill, trans filtered & gasket. Stick with the oem stuff too, I'm not a fan of switching to synthetics and such this "late" (mileage wise) in the game, not just a Lexus but any car.

So get a lot of bottles of Toyota yarns fluid and do a drain/fill each week for three weeks, so you truly circulate all the old fluid along with all the old gunk, without "forcing" metal shavings thru the little transmission veins that a power flush does - this is what kills transmissions since the shavings have a natural way to make their way to the bottom of the transmission pan, as opposed to forcing the stuff out.
Old 11-18-12, 12:13 PM
Messy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Do it the Toyota way...

Drain/fill, trans filtered & gasket. Stick with the oem stuff too, I'm not a fan of switching to synthetics and such this "late" (mileage wise) in the game, not just a Lexus but any car.

So get a lot of bottles of Toyota yarns fluid and do a drain/fill each week for three weeks, so you truly circulate all the old fluid along with all the old gunk, without "forcing" metal shavings thru the little transmission veins that a power flush does - this is what kills transmissions since the shavings have a natural way to make their way to the bottom of the transmission pan, as opposed to forcing the stuff out.

what he said will work too but what a pain in the *** to get all the fluid out. Also, there is no filter (well it's in there but it actually is a lifetime filter you do not ever replace it) There is also no gasket to replace either. There is actually a drain plug for the tranny fluid. Please use only the right toyota fluid as well.
Old 11-20-12, 12:18 PM
727cracker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the input. Will probably end up having the guy take a look since he will not do the flush. Baby on the way and I don't have time to do the drain/refill, as easy as it is. Transmission's are something I stay away from..