Print Wikipost

EVAP check engine light/flashing TRAC off

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 03:07 PM
TaylorAZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVAP check engine light/flashing TRAC off

Hi all, I am new to the forum and am seeking some expert advise My check engine light came on today with the flashing TRAC OFF light, I ran the code and it says it is related to the EVAP system (or emissions system) Is there anyway to narrow down what could be throwing the sensor? Also as I change things will I have to reset the CEL each time by disconnecting the battery or will the light go off by itself once I find and fix the problem?

If any of you had this same code, let me know what threw it, I am unfamiliar with this part of the system.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-31-12, 03:09 PM
TaylorAZ
Driver School Candidate

by the way I took my gas cap off and screwed it back on, but I've been driving on this tank for over 200 miles, so I am thinking it has to be something else.
Old 10-31-12, 06:26 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What code(s) did it pull up? Has anyone touched your airbox, or do you have an aftermarket intake? I wonder if the vsv for ccv is properly installed. If you don't have an aftermarket intake, it will be attached to your airbox with a short hose.

Old 11-01-12, 05:22 AM
TaylorAZ
Driver School Candidate

That's a great idea. I will check that today when I get home from work. Thanks for the pic too. If I can't find it tonight I guess I am off to the shop so they can smoke it and track down the leak that way and take my $
Old 11-01-12, 10:30 AM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem. After you know your codes and do the fixes, pull the neg battery cable for 5 min (or clear the codes with your obd2 scanner). The CEL should be gone at this point, but you want to see if it comes back. If you never cleared the code, I wonder if tightening your gas cap didn't fix the issue. You should research your codes on here and on my.IS to see what the specific problem is before you pay a shop to diagnose it for you.
Old 11-06-12, 05:49 AM
TaylorAZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rvalero
No problem. After you know your codes and do the fixes, pull the neg battery cable for 5 min (or clear the codes with your obd2 scanner). The CEL should be gone at this point, but you want to see if it comes back. If you never cleared the code, I wonder if tightening your gas cap didn't fix the issue. You should research your codes on here and on my.IS to see what the specific problem is before you pay a shop to diagnose it for you.
Thanks for your advice, after doing a visual search I took my car in for the smoke test, smoke came out of my gas door. Turned out it was a bad gas cap after all, ordered a new one, no check engine light since. Sucks there isn't an easier way to find those leaks