IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

No ECU Signal, no start? no OBD connection..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-12, 07:06 PM
cgm12mgc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No ECU Signal, no start? no OBD connection..?

ok so going down the road, it a bump and the entire car just cut out.. Its back at my shop now, i have checked all fuses, both passenger side and drivers side boxes, along with under hood boxes, I go to plug in my motis scanner and it can not connect to the car, i try with a simple scanner and same thing... swapped out crank sensor, nothing, checked grounds (3 in the engine bay) nothing. unplug the ECU check the connectors and they are clean as the day it rolled off the assembly line so again nothing...

im open to ideas from anyone at this point! if all fuses are good, no burnt wires, only thing left is that it is a bad ecu?? the car is a 2001 IS300 5 speed... so very hard to find an ECU for to test that theory..

what all would cause no OBD connection/ no ECU Signal?
Old 10-27-12, 11:05 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cgm12mgc
ok so going down the road, it a bump and the entire car just cut out.. Its back at my shop now, i have checked all fuses, both passenger side and drivers side boxes, along with under hood boxes, I go to plug in my motis scanner and it can not connect to the car, i try with a simple scanner and same thing... swapped out crank sensor, nothing, checked grounds (3 in the engine bay) nothing. unplug the ECU check the connectors and they are clean as the day it rolled off the assembly line so again nothing...

im open to ideas from anyone at this point! if all fuses are good, no burnt wires, only thing left is that it is a bad ecu?? the car is a 2001 IS300 5 speed... so very hard to find an ECU for to test that theory..

what all would cause no OBD connection/ no ECU Signal?
So, you started randomly swapping parts with no idea where the problem lies?

There is your issue... its time to bust out wiring diagrams, check for power at the OBD connector first... Start pinning wires at the ECU and make sure you have everything required to get the car to run... The TSRM has a listing of what values are expected at each terminal with key on, key off, during cranking and while running... If all of your values are good, then its the ECU... If they aren't, then it will show you right where your issue is!
Old 10-28-12, 12:41 AM
cgm12mgc
Driver School Candidate

i dont believe i said i swapped anything infact i said i did not want to swap anything as that would get expensive, do you happen to have the pin out's and what each wire is supposed to read for a 2001 5 speed, i own a legitimate race shop so i understand pin out's ect, however alldata does not provide the information nor does the toyota dealership (as they use alldata)

if you have the diagrams fora 2001/5speed (manual) then please post them, otherwise if i asked about me swapping things randomly pets take a step back as i nave not done so

any help on this matter!

Thanks
Charles
Old 10-28-12, 12:51 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

You said you swapped out the crank sensor...

you need the TSRM for an IS300... I don't have it on this computer, they are on my other laptop at my other house, but its out there. Any real Toyota dealer (including the one right next to my shop) doesn't use Alldata... They use the Toyota TSRM's... When I built the GTE Aristo motor and swapped it into my brothers GS300, the pinouts were required and the only place I found a reliable set was in the TSRM's, it is also where to find exact clearance specs...

Do some searching, you'll find them, they are out there, just don't recall where I found them...
Old 10-28-12, 02:13 PM
Juic
Rookie

I think this is what you're looking for:

http://my.is/forums/f90/new-01-05-di...wnload-435090/
Old 10-29-12, 02:30 PM
cgm12mgc
Driver School Candidate

Juic thats awesome, thanks for the manual, went through the pin out and everything is checking out...

question on the immobilizer, I put the key in and the security light keeps blinking, turn it to start and the light keeps blinking... is the immobilizer at fault here?

I am not getting injector pulse with my noid light, hit it with the multimeter and i see 12 volts one side of the connector and nothing on the other, other side being switched ground? and not receiving a signal from the ecu to ground..

so back to the immobilizer question, what would i have there, a bad key randomly? it still locks/ unlocks the car just fine. but the security light just keeps blinking...
Old 10-29-12, 07:10 PM
cgm12mgc
Driver School Candidate

would the immobilizer make it so i could not use my OBD 2 scanner? has power to the port (pin 16 obd2 port) just not connecting to the ECU
Old 10-29-12, 07:25 PM
NCis300
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

its an 02 is300 btw.
Old 10-29-12, 08:39 PM
cgm12mgc
Driver School Candidate

ahh ^^ good deal, 2002 not 2001.
Old 10-30-12, 11:44 AM
cgm12mgc
Driver School Candidate

will the vehicles security system, immobilizer cause the OBD2 port and my modis not to connect to the ECU? I would like to read codes in the car but can not.
Old 10-30-12, 05:39 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

No, there is no reason the security system would disable anything other than the injectors...
Old 11-04-12, 03:59 PM
doctorlex
Driver School Candidate

Is the enginemanagement coming on with ignition in on position
Old 11-05-12, 05:13 AM
cgm12mgc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doctorlex
Is the enginemanagement coming on with ignition in on position
it is not, so i am unable to connect to it
Old 10-02-18, 02:05 PM
midasp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this was a long time ago but what was the solution?
The following users liked this post:
ShaHundred (02-11-20)
Old 06-25-22, 01:36 PM
Wake91
3rd Gear

Default What happened?

Originally Posted by NCis300
its an 02 is300 btw.
any info on what the issue was?

Quick Reply: No ECU Signal, no start? no OBD connection..?