IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

slotted rotors opinon

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-12, 05:03 PM
Moosepower
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slotted rotors opinon

Hey guys looking for some slotted rotors for my 01 is300 but dont know were to look and what brand is the best. What do you guys recommend... thnx for your help
Old 09-21-12, 05:55 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Why slotted? Although they may have some performance benefits, they will go through brake pads quite a bit quicker, and the performance benefits will likely not be noticeable... one thing that will happen is that the rotors won't be able to handle as much heat and will overheat quicker than a good set of OEM style rotors...

if you want better performing brakes without replacing calipers, simply get a better set of pads and replace the brake fluid...
Old 09-23-12, 08:08 PM
Taks_is300
Rookie

I have fig engineering BBK kit. It uses over-sized front supra rotors, modified bracket, and oem rears. I do some spirited driving thru some hilly areas and I feel that my initial grab when I apply my brakes is increased. I could attribute that to the increased size of the rotors and not that the rotors are slotted.

His website is www.figsengineering.com
Old 09-23-12, 09:25 PM
403IS300
Driver

Buy slotted rotors that are vented in the center, they will cool better than OEM rotors and improve performance. A good brand is DBA or Endless.

Buy some good quality pads to go with those rotors, I'd recommend Endless
Old 09-24-12, 04:15 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by 403IS300
Buy slotted rotors that are vented in the center, they will cool better than OEM rotors and improve performance. A good brand is DBA or Endless.

Buy some good quality pads to go with those rotors, I'd recommend Endless
Actually, slotted rotors don't increase the surface area enough to make a noticeable improvement in cooling, while at the same time, they decrease the amount of material, making them overheat faster - not as bad as cross drilled, but to a small extent... All rotors for the front of our cars will be vented... Not to mention those Endless rotors are way overpriced...

Unless you go to a larger braking system that is designed for slotted or drilled rotors, they actually hurt performance...
Old 09-26-12, 07:22 AM
Zstuddin
Pole Position

Have any of you had oem sized slotted rotors on your is300? I notice better gripping and I'm very happy with them. I bought some stoptechs. You're telling him how they get hot and etc yet you don't even know what he will be using them for or brand??? For daily driving moosepower you will be just fine with slotted, you'll get a better bite than oem, if going for looks they look good, go through pads a tad faster but you won't really notice unless you get a super soft brake pad. I recommend power slots by stoptech which give improved cooling. That's if you're doing daily driving and oem size...

http://www.stoptech.com/products/rot...er-slot-rotors

Last edited by Zstuddin; 09-26-12 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-27-12, 01:13 PM
SupraMan17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Taks_is300
I have fig engineering BBK kit. It uses over-sized front supra rotors, modified bracket, and oem rears. I do some spirited driving thru some hilly areas and I feel that my initial grab when I apply my brakes is increased. I could attribute that to the increased size of the rotors and not that the rotors are slotted.

His website is www.figsengineering.com
i have this too...its an awesome kit.
Old 09-29-12, 08:35 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Zstuddin
You're telling him how they get hot and etc yet you don't even know what he will be using them for or brand??? For daily driving moosepower you will be just fine with slotted, you'll get a better bite than oem]
there is no difference in braking power... the slots do not dig in to the pad, else you would be replacing brake pads every other day...

I do know how hot they get - they cannot take as much heat as a stock rotor, period... daily driving, sure, they might not as bad of heat issues, but, they still do... so, no benefits, only negatives... unless, again, the system was designed for them... probably won't hurt anything, but, won't help so much either...

get better pads - that is the main difference...
Old 09-30-12, 02:36 PM
Zstuddin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
there is no difference in braking power... the slots do not dig in to the pad, else you would be replacing brake pads every other day...

I do know how hot they get - they cannot take as much heat as a stock rotor, period... daily driving, sure, they might not as bad of heat issues, but, they still do... so, no benefits, only negatives... unless, again, the system was designed for them... probably won't hurt anything, but, won't help so much either...

get better pads - that is the main difference...
agree to disagree, on some of it. Pads do make a huge difference I will agree there. For the rest, no. This is off there site, so it's not just my opinion but there's a well. Or perhaps stoptech is just full of $*%^ and their word is not credible?....

Directional Vane Design

Most Power Slot® rotors match the original factory cooling vane design. In the most popular sports car and light truck applications, Power Slot® has improved the design by using directional (left- and right-handed) vanes to improve cooling. This represents a distinct upgrade from the original equipment rotors, which usually feature a straight vane or pillar vane design. The directional vane is a more efficient air pump. The resulting increase in airflow translates into greater resistance to brake fade and faster recovery from temperature spikes generated by aggressive braking maneuvers.

Power Slots

Power Slot® rotors feature a signature "short slot" design. The slot improves brake system performance by wiping away the debris of used friction material that otherwise accumulates between the rotor and pad. This keeps fresh pad material exposed to the rotor surface and helps prevent pad glazing. The edges sweeping the pad slightly increase the effective coefficient of friction, or “bite,” amplifying brake system response to pedal input. By providing an escape path for water, slotted rotors can also improve initial brake response under wet conditions.
Old 09-30-12, 05:26 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

agree to disagree, on some of it. Pads do make a huge difference I will agree there. For the rest, no. This is off there site, so it's not just my opinion but there's a well. Or perhaps stoptech is just full of $*%^ and their word is not credible?....

Directional Vane Design

Most Power Slot® rotors match the original factory cooling vane design. In the most popular sports car and light truck applications, Power Slot® has improved the design by using directional (left- and right-handed) vanes to improve cooling. This represents a distinct upgrade from the original equipment rotors, which usually feature a straight vane or pillar vane design. The directional vane is a more efficient air pump. The resulting increase in airflow translates into greater resistance to brake fade and faster recovery from temperature spikes generated by aggressive braking maneuvers.

Power Slots

Power Slot® rotors feature a signature "short slot" design. The slot improves brake system performance by wiping away the debris of used friction material that otherwise accumulates between the rotor and pad. This keeps fresh pad material exposed to the rotor surface and helps prevent pad glazing. The edges sweeping the pad slightly increase the effective coefficient of friction, or “bite,” amplifying brake system response to pedal input. By providing an escape path for water, slotted rotors can also improve initial brake response under wet conditions.
Vanes are built into every vented rotor - they have nothing to do with slotted rotors, which is what this post is about... Certain rotors come with directional vanes from the OEM, some do not... upgrading to one that has directional vanes may indeed extract heat faster, but that has nothing to do with the slotting... Not all slotted rotors have these specific vanes...

As far as the slots doing what they say, sure, a little... but not enough to make any measurable difference - in fact, to get the best like this, the slots would have to completely cover the entire surface of the pad... all of those things they say could easily be argued, and they make it a point not to sell it too much, words like "slightly increase" and "can also" are their words that they use to make it a point that they are not using false advertising...
Old 10-01-12, 06:18 AM
Zstuddin
Pole Position

and they make it a point not to sell it too much, words like "slightly increase" and "can also" are their words that they use to make it a point that they are not using false advertising...
no where in any of that does stoptech say "can" "slightly" or any protective words to prevent false advertising.

Vanes are built into every vented rotor - they have nothing to do with slotted rotors, which is what this post is about... upgrading to one that has directional vanes may indeed extract heat faster, but that has nothing to do with the slotting.
also this post is about which is the best slotted rotor. This has everything to do about what he asked. Does cooling not have to do with what's THE BEST slotted rotor? You're the one who brought up all this saying:
Why slotted? one thing that will happen is that the rotors won't be able to handle as much heat and will overheat quicker than a good set of OEM style rotors....
vanes have to do with all rotors...if they had nothing to do with slotted rotors and don't belong on this thread, then why did you even bring up heat at all? smh.

Last edited by Zstuddin; 10-01-12 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-01-12, 06:40 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

no where in any of that does stoptech say "can" "slightly" or any protective words to prevent false advertising.
Perhaps you should re-read your post, I'll quote some excerpts for you:

"The edges sweeping the pad slightly increase the effective coefficient of friction"
"By providing an escape path for water, slotted rotors can also improve initial brake response under wet conditions"
Try both back to back some time, as I have and you will be underwhelmed by the difference, IE, almost none at all, if any at all... There was a time when I was misled by advertising and such as well, not until I made friends with real racers did I see the light...

If given the choice, I would pick Stoptechs normal brake rotor (Centric) over their slotted rotor, though slotted is not nearly as much of a performance hit as the cross drilled rotors... I should also add that their "improved directional vane" system is only available in a few rotors, and all of the others directly copy the OEM vane setup:
"Most Power Slot® rotors match the original factory cooling vane design."
The only way to get measurably better braking performance is to upgrade pads. Beyond that, a larger brake system (preferably matched front to rear) would be required... Slotted rotors are not the answer... Though they do cost more...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 10-01-12 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-01-12, 08:16 AM
Zstuddin
Pole Position

that's says can under wet conditions.... emphasizing on the rain, not the general use..

also says slightly increases friction, not saying it as a precaution but because that's exactly what it does. Slightly increases friction giving you a better bite. It doesn't say may increase friction or that it could or DRASTICALLY. What it means is, it's been tested and it improves friction and bite but not on a huge scale.

and i'm pretty sure is300 vane goes against and not with the rotor. I know the isf for example has it's vane go against... I don't have my stock rotors so I can't check.

This has probably gone way over moose's head btw. hahaha.

Anywho, we could argue this all day! I still agree with you on the pads b/c you're 100% right. After my discussion on this thread I think the best thing moose can do now is just sell his car. lol

Last edited by Zstuddin; 10-01-12 at 08:24 AM.