IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Need help on: how to replace the stereo on my IS300 1st Gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-14, 12:33 PM
RocketSci
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done! As long as it works, no one is going to look inside and complain that it doesn't look "professional." I agree with your philosophy (save money and don't add more to the land fill).

Another solution which dawned on me as I read your post is to use a 3D printer to make new trays. My daughter built a "PrintrBot" from a kit for her chiropractor that was just sitting in a box in his office. He gave her 3 free visits for her work. She brought it home one weekend and we made a few toys. I did not think of making trays at the time.
Old 08-08-14, 05:11 AM
expired56k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RocketSci
Well done! As long as it works, no one is going to look inside and complain that it doesn't look "professional." I agree with your philosophy (save money and don't add more to the land fill).

Another solution which dawned on me as I read your post is to use a 3D printer to make new trays. My daughter built a "PrintrBot" from a kit for her chiropractor that was just sitting in a box in his office. He gave her 3 free visits for her work. She brought it home one weekend and we made a few toys. I did not think of making trays at the time.
Thanks! Using a 3D printer would sure be cool but not many have access to one and to make this CD tray, you'd need a pretty high resolution 3D printer as well as ability to model this part in some CAD program. Local MicroCenter store got some 3D printers and I think they all start at over a kilodollar. It was definitely cool seeing their demo print something, at least I knew what it was but so many people had no idea and were totally fascinated.
Old 10-10-14, 10:07 AM
ISaL3X
Rookie

Glad it worked out! I have been procrastinating with my radio... Really need to figure out how to fix it and the forums are not proving to be much help. Basically when I press "disc" button nothing happens at all (it stays on the same mode as before tape, am, or fm).
Old 11-12-14, 10:04 AM
candycane
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2003 IS 300 and the CD Changer jams. Therefore, I took the car to Dealership and was I needed to replace the 5-Disc CD/Cassette Player ($500.00). Then I found a Service Bulletin for CD Changer Improvements to correct the issue. Service Bulletin T10001308 is dated February 7, 2003 with a 48 months or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. My IS 300 has only 51,000 miles and in perfect condition and again Lexus Corp. did not notify the customer. I spoke to Lexus Corp. to refer them to the Service Bulletin and was given the time frame in the bulletin. I told them they were negligent and careless because the customer should have been made aware of the improvement. They will not pay for the improvement. Has anyone else had the same issue?
Old 11-12-14, 10:07 AM
candycane
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation IS 300 CD Changer Service Bulletin T10001308

[QUOTE=candycane;8785139]I have a 2003 IS 300 and the CD Changer jams. Therefore, I took the car to Dealership and was I needed to replace the 5-Disc CD/Cassette Player ($500.00). Then I found a Service Bulletin for CD Changer Improvements to correct the issue. Service Bulletin T10001308 is dated February 7, 2003 with a 48 months or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. My IS 300 has only 51,000 miles and in perfect condition and again Lexus Corp. did not notify the customer. I spoke to Lexus Corp. to refer them to the Service Bulletin and was given the time frame in the bulletin. I told them they were negligent and careless because the customer should have been made aware of the improvement. They will not pay for the improvement. Has anyone else had the same issue?
Old 11-17-14, 10:36 AM
expired56k
Driver School Candidate

Honestly, from my personal experience and research I've done, the CD changer decks on IS300 and possibly other Lexus/Toyota have been a total junk. I'd try talking to a dealship manager and express your concern, if anyone would make an effort to do good, that would be your dealer. If you're a technie person and depending what went wrong inside your head unit, you may be able to fix it. The least expensive solution if Lexus wouldn't fix it for you and you can't fix your head unit yourself would be to get an aftermaket unit (there are some decent off brand double DIN touchscreen units for under $200) and a Metra harness (around $50 on Amazon; so you don't have to replace the amplifier). There are guides on the forum on how to wire Metra harness and install an aftermarket head unit. Your other option is a used Lexus head unit but personally, I wouldn't spend a penny on it. You're probably not going to find one under $100 anyway.
Old 09-14-15, 01:53 PM
OldCarNut
Driver School Candidate

I know this is an old thread, but I just got through replacing my original unit in my '02 IS300 with an Alpine (from Crutchfield) and had a few tips I wanted to put out there for the next poor sap who tries the same thing.

Overall, the replacement isn't bad. Crutchfield supplies a mounting kit (American International LXSK1321) which works for single DIN and double DIN aftermarket units. They also supply an antenna extension which makes life easier (Metra 44-EC18).

The big deal is that a PAC TATO wiring interface is supplied so that you can retain the factory amp and just drive it from the new head unit. The head unit needs to have RCA outputs. The TATO unit says it's for Bose systems used in 2003 and up Toyota vehicles, but it connects to the 2002 non-Bose system in the Lexus IS300 nicely. There's only 4 wires that need to connect to the head unit wiring harness plus the RCA jacks. So far, easy peasy (other than you've got some boxes you need to find space for inside the dash - they could have made that stuff a lot smaller I think).

Here's the big "gotcha" that Crutchfield tech support worked through with me: The TATO unit has a series of DIP switches that are to adjust the output level. They have no effect and the sound volume was very low initially. The trick is that you need to plug the factory unit into the car, set fade to centered and balance to centered, and crank the volume up HIGH. Then turn off the ignition with the stereo blasting. Unplug the factory unit, plug in the TATO adaptor and "Bob's your uncle". Sounds fantastic.

Hope someone finds this useful - had to post it SOMEWHERE.

Cheers.