IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

New wheels... 18x8 polished aluminum goodness :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-12, 11:41 PM
Arro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wheels... 18x8 polished aluminum goodness :)

I had a nice staggered set of Voxx Misano wheels in 18x8 and 18x9. I loved them, even though they rubbed a bit with the tires I had. But they got trashed:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...of-wheels.html

So I found a set of G35 wheels with terrible curb rash and ugly spraycan black paint. I filed out the curb rash and then had them stripped and polished. Took forever to find a shop I was comfortable with. Looks great:

Despite the destruction of the last wheels, the tires survived. And it turns out that while all four of these G35 wheels are 18x8 and same offset, they are intended for staggered *tire* widths. They actually have "FRONT" and "REAR" stamped on the inside of the wheels. It also turns out that the tire sizes I was running with are what these wheels are intended to use on a G35: 225 in the front, and 245 in the rear. SO.... that's what I did!

It looks great. However.... before with the previous wheels, they rubbed a tad on some dips and on fast cornering. The Megan Racing springs I have are TOO SOFT. Well, these G35 wheels are offset ever so slightly less positive (meaning the tires now sit a teensy tiny bit more outward). The result is that visually they fit veeery flush now as you can see, but it also means I rub a LOT more often, on even the slightest of dips or mild cornering.

So the bottom line is I need a stiffer spring rate. Of course, coilovers will give me that AND let me take it up a quarter inch more or so for that perfect clearance. BUT... I like these wheels! I think it's the kind of wheel that SHOULD have come on our cars from the factory. 18x8 and polished aluminum seems to give me back that luxo-sport look while keeping sporty specs. This car was built to challenge the BMW 3-series, so my thinking is that these wheels lend the final touch that gives it that visual status.

I want to get Lexus centercaps... that place in Anaheim makes them but I'm not sure if it's molded or just a blank with a badge stuck on it. Which would probably be fine.

But what do you all think? I know it's not "tuner" enough for some of you, but just try to keep in mind I like an OEM'ish look that is better than what Toyota gave us. I think I get that with these G35 wheels.
Old 08-31-12, 11:00 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

im loving the look of these wheels. i should polish my extra set of Supra TT wheels.

as far as rubbing, i would def roll my fenders and do a slight pull in back before i messed with the suspension again. yours dont look rolled in the pics. but i might be wrong