IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Turbo Is300

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 11:15 PM
Jmylerlexu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Is300

Hey guys, I have an 01' is300. Been wanting to turbo it for awhile and today I decided to buy some stuff, but I want to see what else I will need. This is what i ordered

-Megan Racing turbo manifold
Headers
-3" down pipe
- HKS wastegate
- HKS BOF
-Godspeed turbo
-Godspeed intercooler and piping
. I know I will need the oil lines, and vacc lines. Anything else I will need other than a tune and some time?
Old 08-07-12, 12:23 AM
romycha1
Lead Lap

No supporting mods?
Fuel?
Spark?
gauges?
Exhaust?
Engine management?

These are things just off the top of my head...
Old 08-07-12, 06:15 AM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Romycha1 pretty much hit it on the head. You will need all those supporting mods as well.
Walbro 255 walbro fuel pump
AEM guages like boost, wideband, oil/fuel pressure, water temp, exhaust temp, exc.
Exhaust is a big one
Greddy EMU or standalone

and what about the tranny? are you auto or manual? if manual its gonna cost you!!
Old 08-07-12, 09:19 PM
Jmylerlexu
Driver School Candidate

Automatic transmission, I'm looking to boost 8 pounds. Doing a Freddy exhaust, I'm new to the turbo idea, so I'm just learning. But ill re do the fuel system and start doing stuff to the engine later on. Can you run 6-8 pounds of boost on stock engine and transmission?
Old 08-07-12, 09:37 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

You're new to turbo'ing... but you're just gonna do it anyway?

Why do you want to run 6-8 pounds of boost? Did you just read that somewhere and decide that's what you want without having a horsepower range in mind?

In my honest opinion, you're going down a road that is going to cost you a lot of money if you KNEW what you were doing... but with how much you know now, it's going to cost you a whole lot more money AND headache. If I were you... I'd sit on your goodies and do more research.
Old 08-07-12, 09:54 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First off please do some research. Boosting an IS isnt cheap and will add it fast. If you do it right the first time you wont regret it and dont cut corners. Heres a list of things that i can think of off the top of my head that will get you up and running:

Turbo
Turbo Mani
Wastegate
BOV
Downpipe
Injectors
EMS/Piggyback
FMIC/Piping
Exhaust
Gauges
Wideband
fuel pump
trans cooler

and misc clamps and stuff. It will add up quick if you check out the fs section and stuff like that you can piece together a decent kit. Good luck with your build but like i said do some research alot of the questions has already been asked before. Also if your going to have a shop install it ask them what ems/piggyback they are comfortable tuning. It will make things alot easier when it comes to tuning. Also if your going to take it to a shop do research on them as well. Alot of shops will tell you they are experts and this and that but not all can live up to the standards. Ive experienced some headaches boosting my car but it all paid off in the end. Once your boosted you will never look back haah.
Old 08-07-12, 10:46 PM
Jmylerlexu
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, im just trying to learn more about it. I work at Lexus in Utah, and one of the techs there has been putting turbo's in these since 03'. He keeps explaining to me what I need but never an exact list, do that's all I needed help with .
Old 08-07-12, 10:53 PM
Jmylerlexu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by romycha1
You're new to turbo'ing... but you're just gonna do it anyway?

Why do you want to run 6-8 pounds of boost? Did you just read that somewhere and decide that's what you want without having a horsepower range in mind?

In my honest opinion, you're going down a road that is going to cost you a lot of money if you KNEW what you were doing... but with how much you know now, it's going to cost you a whole lot more money AND headache. If I were you... I'd sit on your goodies and do more research.
No, I didn't read something about it. I just assumed that instead of being an idiot and throwing it at 18 pounds of boost right away would be the smart thing to not do. I was thinking that 6-8 pounds wouldn't put a huge strain on the stock engine and trans. I'd like to gain +75 - 120hp.
Old 08-07-12, 11:32 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Even at low boost you could have some major problems if you're not set up properly.... especially if you don't have any type of engine management with a halfway decent tune.
But read around.... and join my.is if you haven't already... and read more there.
I'm sure you've already spent a decent amount of money on what you have already... but if you look into other people's build threads, you'll see how much they end up spending in the end to get it running right, and you might just change your mind.
I'm not trying to change your mind... just trying to make you aware of what you're wanting to jump into.
Old 08-08-12, 12:18 AM
Heyboss2JZ
Driver School Candidate

Save your $$ do some research.
Boost Is a very expensive drug..
Old 08-08-12, 06:20 AM
Jmylerlexu
Driver School Candidate

I bought the turbo Mani, 3" down pipe,HKS waste gate and intercooler piping for $150. And the headers are Megan so I got a super deal there. The turbo, intercooler blow off valve and gauges are only 500. I was looking to spend 2,000 more and get a really good tune. What exactly is engine management?
Old 08-08-12, 06:32 AM
Jmylerlexu
Driver School Candidate

Nevermind sorry dumb question
Old 08-08-12, 08:11 AM
romycha1
Lead Lap

If your total budget was $2500... and that includes "a really good tune"... then sell what you have and buy this"
suspension (springs or coilovers and sway bars)
I-H-E
BC 264 cams
Exhaust cam gear
Greddy eManage or SAFC II
a Tune

Your car will drive totally different and you'll be very happy with the way it is.

Doing a full turbo kit, correctly, will cost you at least double that.
Old 08-08-12, 11:48 AM
Jmylerlexu
Driver School Candidate

Will doing that add decent HP?
Old 08-08-12, 11:59 AM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Not anywhere close to boosting... depends on what you think "decent" is.
How new are you to modding? For the most part on N/A cars, doing N/A bolt-on mods don't do much, but every bit added up helps.

Here, read this thread:
http://my.is/forums/f88/dyno-results...-pulls-426313/

Quick Reply: Turbo Is300