IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Does your fresh engine oil get dirty really quickly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-12, 12:23 PM
superstock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your fresh engine oil get dirty really quickly?

This is the last part of a post I did on the Supra forums,entitled "Does your fresh engine oil get dirty really quickly" this part refers to the front sump 2JZ.
AND NOW FOR THE FRONT SUMP 2JZ

This is how much is left after a normal drain.

It measures 1.2L!!!

This is how much is left after tilting to 15'

It measures 200mls

To use the SUCKER on this sump it needs Mk2 to be extended 20 to 25mms.
Old 07-15-12, 08:18 AM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks great tip!
Old 07-15-12, 10:08 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I always make it a point to wait til its all drained out, then, with the drain plug still open, pour one full quart through, allow that to drain completely again, and then get back at finishing the oil change... This still doesn't get all of it, but it is a little better...

Good info though!

One of the reasons on the LFA, the oil change process includes filling the engine with new oil, running it for a short period of time and draining that again before filling it the final time...
Old 07-15-12, 10:09 AM
EFinChop
Driver School Candidate

good tip, thats a decent amount left over when not tilting
Old 07-15-12, 11:04 AM
superstock
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=mitsuguy;7358671]I always make it a point to wait til its all drained out, then, with the drain plug still open, pour one full quart through, allow that to drain completely again, and then get back at finishing the oil change... This still doesn't get all of it, but it is a little better...

Good info though!

One of the reasons on the LFA, the oil change process includes filling the engine with new oil, running it for a short period of time and draining that again before filling it the final time...[/QUOTE

Running an extra quart through only dilutes what is left and makes an oil change more expensive.
I should have put this link in the first post. http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/...y-quickly.html
For those that are interested it shows you how to make a very simple device to remove most of this left over oil------the sucker.
Old 07-15-12, 11:38 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by superstock
Running an extra quart through only dilutes what is left and makes an oil change more expensive.
I should have put this link in the first post. http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/...y-quickly.html
For those that are interested it shows you how to make a very simple device to remove most of this left over oil------the sucker.
Yah, but if I was that flippin ****, I'd fill it with new oil, run it and then drain it again... if we wanna get technical, there is still a decent amount of oil in the oil galleys, passageways, recesses in the head, etc. Not to mention the oil that is sticking to whatever else - the crank, cylinder walls, etc.

I get it, but the reality is that we don't do oil changes to make sure all the crud gets out, we do oil changes to replenish the additive packages in the oil. They did a test on big rigs when they never ever changed the oil, they just changed the filters and replenished whatever went missing (due to blowby, filter changes, etc). All of those engines lasted over a million miles...
Old 07-16-12, 07:02 AM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

That's alot of oil. Ill drain it thanks. And the oil left in the engine is very little
Old 07-16-12, 12:39 PM
superstock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Yah, but if I was that flippin ****, I'd fill it with new oil, run it and then drain it again... if we wanna get technical, there is still a decent amount of oil in the oil galleys, passageways, recesses in the head, etc. Not to mention the oil that is sticking to whatever else - the crank, cylinder walls, etc.

I get it, but the reality is that we don't do oil changes to make sure all the crud gets out, we do oil changes to replenish the additive packages in the oil. They did a test on big rigs when they never ever changed the oil, they just changed the filters and replenished whatever went missing (due to blowby, filter changes, etc). All of those engines lasted over a million miles...
As I said " for those who are interested" obviously you are not one of them.
Old 07-17-12, 05:31 AM
Rndm187
Rookie

Good information ...next oil change im going to use my brake bleeder to get the most out of it
Old 07-18-12, 09:17 AM
thatPOLISH
Driver School Candidate

i just jack the car up alittle more on the oppisite side of the drain so it runs that way