IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

changed timing belt and now...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 07:13 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

really???????? that is the classic code for someone not getting the timing right on the belt.......and it happened right after timing belt replacement????? better check those marks again. remember on the crank and the cams
there are two marks each. the first one when rotating clockwise is the "safe" spot to change belts. the second mark is Top dead center
Old 08-10-12, 08:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by diagtime
really???????? that is the classic code for someone not getting the timing right on the belt.......and it happened right after timing belt replacement????? better check those marks again. remember on the crank and the cams
there are two marks each. the first one when rotating clockwise is the "safe" spot to change belts. the second mark is Top dead center
He checked and double checked the timing alignment and said it was good, after I posted this twice, I think he got it correct...

For the OP, have you had any more luck diagnosing this?
Old 09-20-12, 12:27 AM
kasper300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same problem please help

Don't want to beat a dead horse here but just joined this site last night. I have a 02 manual with a very similar problem same code. Jumped the gun and replaced the vvti sensor after doing gates timing belt and new oem water pump. Used a cam gear locking tool when I did the belt but these codes were there when I bought the car is it possible the timming was off to beginwith or are these gates t.belts known to be a problem. I have a friend who works at a lexus dealer who took a real quick look and said the gears were not at the correct position and that I should put the oem belt on the car but I used the gates one in the first place because I have future boost plans and wanted a more reliable belt. Need to fix asap cuz I been riding a dirty inspection for to long now please any inout would be great
Old 10-06-12, 10:56 PM
whtricsc40
Driver School Candidate

yes i did double and triple check to make sure the timing marks lined up perfectly, but no i have still not corrected/fixed the problem yet i did buy the cam sensor and was trying to change it but it seems as though to get the cam sensor out i would have to also remove the whole intake assembaly to be able to remove the sensor cause i can just barly get the 2 bolts out but the edge of the intake by were you install the sensor is infront of it just enough to not be able to change it with out taking the intake off also. i feel like such a tard not being able to fix this problem. and i also had the check engine, vsc, and trac off lights on before i changed the timing belt and water pump, but i though that it was just the timing belt starting to go cause it had 140000 miles on it so i dont know if it is the same problem or a new problem now
Old 10-07-12, 11:02 AM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
He checked and double checked the timing alignment and said it was good, after I posted this twice, I think he got it correct...

For the OP, have you had any more luck diagnosing this?
Countless times i have seen someone think they got the timing right. yes, the marks all line up, but they're the wrong marks. it is very common for people to line up the TDC marks on the cams with the wrong mark on the crank. and yes, the car will still run, just not very well. I don't know the skill level or experience of the OP, so I consider it possible he has the wrong marks lined up. it's easy to check.

OP, you may know this so sorry if i'm wasting your time, but do you see how there are two marks on both cam pulleys? there are also two marks on the crank pulley. just turn the crank clockwise until the cam marks are coming to near the top. now look at crank and turn it until the first mark is at 0. the first cam pulley marks should be lined up at the notches. now turn the crank clockwise some more until the second mark gets to 0. the other cam pulley marks should now be at the notches.

i don't like to be argumentative but p0016 IS THE CODE that will set as soon as you start it when you get the belt lined up on the wrong marks. the OP may have got it right, but if he didn't, he would be one of many many people to get the marks wrong and think they're dead on. easy mistake to make when there's 2 different marks on each pulley. especially if you're used to working on the older non vvt motors.
Old 10-10-12, 08:26 PM
kasper300
Driver School Candidate

i will be adressing this problem tommorow. i pray thats all i have to do is adjust the gears because i have this sensor curse. i feel like i can never modify my car because im always buying some new sensor that threw a code. wish me luck people. lol