IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

need help with turbo set up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-12, 07:36 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bippu147
You mean the guy where the dyno read 950wtq, and he thought that power was accurate when torque wasnt. lol

With a piggy back you're always relying on the speed of the stock computer. Closed loop control sucks, drivability sucks (this depends on what your definition of "good drivability" is), there are many advantages to a full standalone

With a Vpro he can also eliminate the stock MAF and control VVTi (if applicable). No check engine lights, 32x32 resolution, super fast processor, 32x32 closed loop fuel control, closed loop timing.....many benefits.
You obviously haven't used an Emanage then... you can eliminate the MAF with it too, but not sure why you would want to... I don't care if the dyno was 100% accurate or not, maybe the operator had a setting wrong, tach pickup incorrect, who knows, but either way its not going to be like double off, so either way, the car is making 600-700 plus...

As far as the speed of the stock computer, are you kidding me? If I had my choice, I'd reprogram the stock computer - it is FAR more advanced than any standalone out there... I have wished many times that someone would have figured out how to tune the stock Toyota ECM like the Chevy and Dodge guys do with software like HPTuners...

Vpro? Are you serious? They are locked - you can't tune one, not even a small amount, unless you are a dealer for them... That is complete and utter BS and one reason I would NEVER recommend one to anyone...

I have an Emanage in my turbo IS300 and drivability is great, I get 20+ MPG on E85 and have no issues with it whatsoever...Granted I'm only running 4 psi so far as the motor only has 400 miles on it, that will change soon and wont have any problems, as I never have before on any other Emanage car...

It just takes an experienced tuner to make it work...
Old 06-17-12, 07:43 AM
403IS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
You obviously haven't used an Emanage then... you can eliminate the MAF with it too, but not sure why you would want to... I don't care if the dyno was 100% accurate or not, maybe the operator had a setting wrong, tach pickup incorrect, who knows, but either way its not going to be like double off, so either way, the car is making 600-700 plus...

As far as the speed of the stock computer, are you kidding me? If I had my choice, I'd reprogram the stock computer - it is FAR more advanced than any standalone out there... I have wished many times that someone would have figured out how to tune the stock Toyota ECM like the Chevy and Dodge guys do with software like HPTuners...

Vpro? Are you serious? They are locked - you can't tune one, not even a small amount, unless you are a dealer for them... That is complete and utter BS and one reason I would NEVER recommend one to anyone...

I have an Emanage in my turbo IS300 and drivability is great, I get 20+ MPG on E85 and have no issues with it whatsoever...Granted I'm only running 4 psi so far as the motor only has 400 miles on it, that will change soon and wont have any problems, as I never have before on any other Emanage car...

Jimmy (Bippu147) is a licensed HKS Dealer and has a VPRO Key and tunes them almost daily... I think he knows what hes talking about. He's tuning the VPRO in my Soarer, which I just currently ripped a e-manage out of because of the fact that there is a significant difference between the two.
Old 06-17-12, 10:17 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

Lol, dyno being a little off.... 2J's with 85+mm turbo's STRUGGLE to make more than 800wtq at the 1100whp level.. and in case you didn't know HP is a direct derivative of torque.

Why wouldn't you want to eliminate the MAF?

I have used Emanages, and compared to other standalones on the market, they are a joke. But they do work, you can tune a car half decently on one, especially for a budget oriented setup. BUT....this is 2012 there are many better choices for an ECU out there. Budget and 700whp doesn't really go together.

The factory VVTi ECU is actually not bad, but the pre 1998 ECU's are just terribly slow. I agree, I wish that I could tune those ECU's like I can with GM's. Closed loop spark control on the VVTi ECU's works great....but fuel not so much. There is still an advantage to run a standalone.

I am an HKS Pro tuner. So yes, I can tune HKS computers. And I am a very experienced tuner, especially when it comes to JZ engines. I tune 550+whp cars weekly running 91 octane @ 3500ft elevation. You damn americans are spoiled with your E85!

Cars like the new R35 GTR's are one of the only application where I would keep the factory computer in. The R35 computer is the most powerful stock ECU I have ever seen, that bar none does everything I want an ECU to do. Even at that, there are a couple advantages, of going full standalone....SP, AMS, and Switzer all use Syvecs for some cars.

Last edited by Bippu147; 06-17-12 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-17-12, 10:47 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

No need to talk down to me, I've been doing this for over 12 years and my last budget project made 500 at the wheels in a DSM with just an safc for tuning...

Yes I know HP is a derivative of torque, but if they don't cross at 5252, there is usually a sync error and the dyno is not reading rpm correctly, at which point horsepower is usually read correctly and the calculation for torque is incorrect...

I don't know about spoiled with e85, but if we have it, why not use it...

I am sure the VPro is a very capable system, in fact, if you get someone sold on one, its awesome for the tuner, as that customer is now locked to you without the ability to change anything on their own... For someone with a ton of money, that's fine, but for us that do all of our own work, that sucks and AEM and haltech are the way to go... Either way, no matter what, in the IS, it is still running the factory ECM...
Old 06-18-12, 09:14 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not talking down to you at all. Most guys on this forum build/tune cars for a hobby...I do this as a job, this is how I put food on the table. When you're building these cars for a customer, you need everything to run perfect. Which is why I have this view on standalone ECU's. I would never put my name on a car that's using an SAFC to tune fuel, whether it makes power or not. The car needs to be built properly, for me to do my job properly, and offer my customer a guarantee.

Haltechs are a great system, I tune a ton of those as well and they've been highly reliable. AEM.....not so much, although V2's have been a ton better.

All I'm saying is I wish we had E85 here, but unfortunately E85 sucks when you have to start a car in -20C weather, which is why they'll never bring it to Canada.
Old 06-18-12, 05:33 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Standalones are great, no mistake... I will make the switch, for sure, if for no other reason than I prefer them, same as you do...

To say that the OP must change managements is kinda near sighted though... If someone was willing to spend almost 3 grand for a Vpro for install, accessories, and tuning, I'd do it too... its just not for everyone...