IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Coolant questions, what would you do in this situation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 03:27 PM
JEL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant questions, what would you do in this situation?

Hello,

I recently picked up a nice 03 IS300 with a stack of dealer records, all the work was performed at a Toyota dealer since the car was new. I am just now going through the car and replacing all the fluids and filters for peace of mind. I have done some research online on the pink vs. red coolant debate, and after consulting my owner's manual it states my 03 wants Toyota Long Life coolant, I assume this is referring to red. When the previous owner had the timing belt and water pump done about 30k miles or so ago, the dealership appears to have flushed the coolant completely and replaced the red stuff with pink. I have tried finding a definitive answer, whether it's safe to mix the two or not, but I am just wondering if you guys think I should replace the pink with more pink, or do a complete flush and go back to red, if that's what my '03 truly needs in the first place? Seems to be lots of differing opinions on various Toyota forums regarding this issue.

It only has about 100k on it now, and has been very well maintained down to a stack of records for each oil change at Toyota. I am used to getting a lot of miles out of my car as I commute 500+ miles per week, so I'd like this car to last at least to 250k, or more. I appreaciate the help.

Thanks

Oh I did notice a tiny bit of crusty coolant colored stuff around the radiator cap, could this be a result of the dealer mixing the two different chemistries?
Old 06-08-12, 04:44 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

I think the red and pink might just be a mixture, since your in washington I do know the weather change is a lot different from mine. I work in a shop and i did mine and just put global extended life. It works just fine for me in Fl, however, I believe that just going with the red/pink coolant would be just fine. in summertime I believe you mix it 50/50 half coolant half water but in winter time fill completely with coolant I could be mistaken since I dont know too much about extreme weather changes lol its always hot. The residue on your radiator cap is calcium deposits. just clean it off and get a new cap. I hope this helps
Old 06-09-12, 08:26 AM
Endika
Rookie

the difference in red and pink coolant is one is pre-mixed while the other you have to add water.
Old 06-09-12, 07:32 PM
JEL
Driver School Candidate

They are different coolants, both requiring a 50/50 mix in the system as suggested by Toyota. Looking through the records it appears as though it's been in this particular car since 2006 when the Toyota dealer first flushed the coolant, around 50k miles or so. They did it again at about 80k, now I am wanting to do it again. I'm thinking I may flush it thoroughly with distilled until clear and then replace it with a 50/50 mix of the original red stuff, although it doesn't 'appear' to have caused any problems at this junction, 6 years and 60k miles.

I just wish they would keep it simple like Honda did and go with the blue stuff across the board for years, instead of trying ot get fancy and tricky with the ultra long life stuff. Coming from a 7.3 powerstroke I have learned how important the correct coolant is, so I"m a bit OCD about it these days.
Old 06-09-12, 09:07 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It isn't nearly as important as ya'll are making it out to be... the two are mixable / interchangeable, no issues at all... 50k miles isn't even half of the expected lifespan of the stuff...