IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Weird AC issue I saw today (not sure if I am going nuts)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 01:12 PM
itr206
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird AC issue I saw today (not sure if I am going nuts)

So today I was in my car and had the windows up because I was talking on the phone and the car was relatively hot, so I saw the AC light kick on and the fans started blowing.
I proceeded to watch it toggle on and off a few times, almost like there is a short.

First thought I had was something was set to auto and trying to kick on, but the blower was off and the dial set to windshield and feet as that is my normal operation unless I need it on.

So I am driving home from work later today and had the windows up again and sunroof cracked and went to AC on again and fan blowing. Again around the same temp, but was not toggling.

So i decided to do a little research as I do not recall this happening before and now I am more confused on the auto setting.

If the blower is set to off and nothing is set to auto, should the AC auto engage?
If not, any reason this would happen? The HVAC panel going wacky maybe?
Old 04-30-12, 11:51 AM
itr206
Rookie

Any ideas?
Apparently its not just the AC.
The blower in general comes on by itself even with it turned off on the dial. It will block AC or just the blower at its own leisure.
I turn up the temp seeing if its temp controlled and not the case. Also doesnt really to start getting got until all the way up temp.

Servos bad? Control panel bad? Sticking relay?

Last edited by itr206; 04-30-12 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-30-12, 02:15 PM
altezzaguy
Pole Position

I don't know the exact details, but I do know that it's a known issue with the 1st gen is. A lot of people have this issue, I'm pretty sure if you use the search bar you will find a lot of threads related to this. My car also does it, but it's not all the time, it will do it a few times & then it won't do it again for a few weeks... When mine does it, I just hit the AC button & it turns off. Hopefully this helps a little...
Old 05-01-12, 08:55 AM
itr206
Rookie

trust me, I searched. I cannot find anyone claiming to have a fix or what part causes it.

I took out the whole console yesterday and unplugged it and put it back in for good measure. I pulled all the relays for the fans and put them back in.
I guess I will see how it goes.

If I could just turn it off, it would be dealable, but it kept turning back on and AC full blast and it wasnt all that warm to drive home with AC on yesterday., lol

Seems its been doing it after sitting out in the lot at work the last couple days up until right about when i get home. Starting in the morning from being in the garage or after driving for a little, wont allow me to duplicate
Old 05-01-12, 11:00 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does this all the time. I haven't been motivated enough to take the unit out and apart to see if the contacts are shorted, but a slight turn on the **** past off usually stops it. Sometimes it will persist and take a couple touches. Pretty annoying sometimes.
Old 05-01-12, 01:25 PM
ISspeed04
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by chance do you have it set to a defrost mode or any other auto modes? I haven't had mine long (granted) but I know many manufacturers (including Toyota in the late 90's as our Camry did it) will kick the AC on if the air direction is set to defrost - this is because the air from the AC can dry a damp/foggy windshield much faster than without the AC on.

or it could be a glitch.
Old 05-01-12, 01:53 PM
altezzaguy
Pole Position

Mine turns off by just pushing the big round button that says "AC".
I tried everything & it kept turning back on by it's self. This is the only thing that has worked for me.
Old 05-02-12, 06:19 AM
itr206
Rookie

to answer the question about defrost mode, yes I default it to the windsheild and feet. But if the blower is off, that should override this setting right? lol

I tried dicking with the dials thinking it just slid up a little into the on position, but no dice. It just was freaking out for like two days or so and I havent seen it again since.
Hopefully it passed.
Old 05-02-12, 12:42 PM
ISspeed04
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno what is programmed into the auto modes.... again I need to look through the manual and actually figure some of this stuff out. It's possible that defrost mode and auto (for something else) might cause it to kick on if there's something in the system that senses moisture or... (again, dunno).
Old 05-06-12, 08:33 AM
itr206
Rookie

you would think if it is setting related, it would have done this before last week? I havent had it on defrost for over a week now and it did it again, just not as severe and didnt actually kick on the AC. Just felt the blower on a tad while driving on Saturday
Old 05-06-12, 05:00 PM
mpecilunas
Driver School Candidate

mine has a ghost in it too. it is intermitant (spelling) so I haven't messed with it