IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

ABS Light ON and TRAC OFF light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 11:16 PM
tlun2013
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TCSteidel
They're B-A-A-A-CK! The symptoms have returned, again without any apparent reason, and I caught the error code P0980 again. The code reader says the #3 shift solenoid is reading high, but I have no idea what that may mean. However, I've found that if I drive in "ECT Power" mode, I never have this problem: no CEL and TRAC OFF light shows, no error codes, no missed shifts...just performance!
#3 shift solenoid reading high means that the transmission is shifting too hard or taking too long to go into third gear.
The following 2 users liked this post by tlun2013:
Juicebocs (11-01-17), TCSteidel (07-10-17)
Old 07-10-17, 04:20 PM
TCSteidel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, tlun2013! I never felt an abrupt or 'lazy' shift, but then, I may not have been attentive enough to notice. Perhaps the switch to ECT Power mode overcomes a tendency to take too long to shift into third gear. This might make sense. On the other hand, if the transmission were already shifting too hard into third, the ECT Power mode would only worsen that, right?
Old 02-13-19, 10:13 AM
Eisertb44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmitt605
Get a code scanner or go to a local parts store theyll scan the code for you, check engine lights along with abs or trac flashing is default for something thats going wrong in the system. Doesnt necessarly mean there is anything wrong with abs or trac control the computer jus throws them out flashing getting your attention. ive dealt with this many times and the most recent one was with my car misfiring, check engine and trac off were flashing, had to replace my wires and then everything was fine
wich wires did you need to replace? My is300 throws up the 0980 and 0717 codes when I check the engine light and track is on together.
Old 03-27-20, 10:28 AM
clayota
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a shop replace my wheel bearing, they said the ABS speed sensor fell apart during the process. It would only be 350 plus another day in the shop since it was so close to quitting time. They said it would not cause any issues, however the ABS would not work. I looked up the procedure and it did say the ABS wheel sensors can break when replacing the wheel bearings. They also broke the headlight leveling system so I have that light on as well. My RX300 with 215k miles still drives well. I could replace the headlight leveling system part for a couple of hundred. My car spent some time in the rust belt before coming to Arizona, so there is a bit of rust underneath which explains why the headlight leveling system arm broke. My ABS light started flashing at me yesterday. Once I stopped the car and restarted the flashing ABS light went back to being a solid color. Probably give the car to one of the kids in a few years. Problem solved.
Old 03-28-20, 05:05 AM
2001SolarY
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by clayota
I had a shop replace my wheel bearing, they said the ABS speed sensor fell apart during the process. It would only be 350 plus another day in the shop since it was so close to quitting time. They said it would not cause any issues, however the ABS would not work. I looked up the procedure and it did say the ABS wheel sensors can break when replacing the wheel bearings. They also broke the headlight leveling system so I have that light on as well. My RX300 with 215k miles still drives well. I could replace the headlight leveling system part for a couple of hundred. My car spent some time in the rust belt before coming to Arizona, so there is a bit of rust underneath which explains why the headlight leveling system arm broke. My ABS light started flashing at me yesterday. Once I stopped the car and restarted the flashing ABS light went back to being a solid color. Probably give the car to one of the kids in a few years. Problem solved.
Wrong section. This is for the IS300 platform.
Old 05-25-20, 07:08 PM
Tora
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem. Who knew it was something so stupid and simple that was causing the problem. Check this video out on figs youtube page. Hopefully this helps.