IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

galaxy tab IS300

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 01:26 AM
distant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default galaxy tab IS300

figured I like my torque app on a bigger screen but don't want to stare down at it in the stock stereo location
so I relocated the climate controls into the glove compartment and installed a power switch to the power wire running
to it so I can turn it on and off. (I live in florida and all we do is turn ac on and off anyways lol) sacrificed a few more
things though so far.

1. no clock ...real pain in the ***. (ordered aftermarket oem style lock I'm thinking of integrating soon)
2. rear defroster option I should just add another toggle switch but for now it's usually not a problem in florida since it's already spring.

Why I didn't go ipad is mainly because the dash is too narrow for the dash to go into landscape mode
(where if you watch a video it'll be either very small or stuck in landscape mode and I don't like to tilt my head side ways....)

I went with the Galaxy tab since it's a good size to fit in landscape. and remember the world is still not completed =)

I like to note as well if you wanted to do a really really cheap tablet in the stock location. a first generation galaxy tablet

Will fit almost 100% perfectly into this dash kit

AI LXS-K1321 Radio Installation Kit 01-05 Lexus IS 300

Only thing is you you do NOT use the frame that makes it a single din. so basically the rectangle frames that have
single din size cut out. do not use those. If you get the kit you'll see what I'm talking about. it'll fit nearly perfectly clean,
all you need to do is install a low profile magnet they sell in harber freight for cellphones $3 each to be a pretty clean
install. total cost probably around $40. I wish I had pictures to show how clean that looks.

now the only problem with that install method is no space for a headphone jack or a charger port. All you need to do is
dremel a small hole and dremel a cable that allows charging + audio in the same plug. In the youtube galaxy tab
install they broke apart a dock which I don't see the point cause ebay companies sell these for cheap. (unless you
plan doing video out which might not be bad idea for google maps navigation to a second monitor in the factory location)

rough draft of measurements.

rough draft with plexiglass , and the tablet is mounted firmly BEHIND the plexiglass now, I'll take a picture later
(yes the plexiglass has a window cut out so I can access the controls directly)

I also need to take pictures of the switches on the bottom (I also put the tray back on for the traction control buttons.)
this is where I located the ac on off switch.

I'm still debating on a lot of things. I ordered the is300 stock navigation motorized unit. and it's going to be paired
with the garmin 1700 with back up camera I already have in the car. (which I'm debating on selling so I can run
google maps from my cellphone with hdmi connection.

I'm also debating on replacing the tablet completely with a touch screen monitor with the android mimics system.

only problem is last I checked it wasn't released yet

I'm also trying to find a way to make use of the space behind the tablet/screen. since it's really a waste of a huge
space.... and inspiration from a 2013 malibu pictures.

also if this is done I could potentially have best of all worlds with possibility of putting the a/c controls behind the unit as well.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated =)

Last edited by distant; 03-26-12 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-26-12, 01:47 AM
distant
Driver School Candidate

here's a fun pic

it's so bright in the car XD

driving camera DVR (for proof incase of accidents or questions of violations, reporting drunk drivers etc)

GPS

Phone docked

galaxy plus tablet =)

I should get a JVC kameleon for kicks ( just kidding)

Old 03-26-12, 11:01 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

not bad,. is the climate control just sitting in the glove box or did you make a panel to mount it also? hyperREV books show circuit racing Altezzas with climate in glovebox all mounted nice on a panel. just an idea.

i myself is also curious about mimic. thats the future honestly, mirror phone images since the phone itself is the best piece of hardware anyways, pioneer has a APPradio2 coming out that works for Android phones that will do what Mimic is doing. this will be the direction i go in the future
Old 03-26-12, 05:02 PM
distant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specialTEZ
not bad,. is the climate control just sitting in the glove box or did you make a panel to mount it also? hyperREV books show circuit racing Altezzas with climate in glovebox all mounted nice on a panel. just an idea.

i myself is also curious about mimic. thats the future honestly, mirror phone images since the phone itself is the best piece of hardware anyways, pioneer has a APPradio2 coming out that works for Android phones that will do what Mimic is doing. this will be the direction i go in the future
I kinda like app radio but I kinda don't mainly because the apps supported isn't very big. feels a bit restricted. Besides I like complete freedom so I'll definately be going the mimic route, especially since if you use your phone you get all the nice options like if your running music it'll auto mute the music and tell directions and go back etc.

the ac control in the glove box.I created a top out of plexiglass since I found a shop that does everything for a very good price. I would post pictures but it's already getting dark outside and I need sunlight to take better images.
Old 05-25-12, 12:52 AM
Dori562
Driver School Candidate

looks pretty crazy
Old 09-24-12, 10:15 PM
whiteis33
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

bumping this... how hard was it to relocate the climate control?
Old 01-28-13, 11:10 AM
TurtleKing
Driver School Candidate

This would be absolutely sick. How about the iPad Mini? Would this potentially fit in the is300?
Old 01-28-13, 07:40 PM
whiteis33
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the galaxy tab to fit in the car
Old 01-30-13, 01:15 AM
TAQ
Driver School Candidate

I've never seen anything like that before it looks cool.