IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Weird Sound!? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 02:30 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Weird Sound!? HELP!!!

Weird sound coming from front of car thought it was my rotors sounds like i got a really bad warped rotor...replaced rotors sound is still there.....could it be my calipers? what about ball joints on IS's do they make a sound similar to a warped rotor if there messed up idk wut it is but its driving me nuts!!!
Old 11-29-11, 02:57 PM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

warped rotors dont make noise they shake. You may have a bad wheel bearing but your description is not too good
Old 11-30-11, 08:37 AM
LucciLou
Driver

Question Better description

sounds like a whew whew whew whew gets real bad when i step on the brakes....dunno how else to describe it....i think i can feel it in the steering too...sounds like something is just worn out and definitely needs to be replaced.... its not normal not right thats for sure.....wish i knew some people in AZ that could help me out....
Old 11-30-11, 09:56 AM
MyLittleIS
Rookie

if it sounds like i think you are trying to describe then it is a wheel bearing. it kinda sounds as if your tire is rubbing against something right? and as you slow down it sounds like a lathe or drill press winding down right....
Old 11-30-11, 12:39 PM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea sounds like a wheel bearing. If you do one make sure you do both sides. Bearings for our cars are a little pricey
Old 11-30-11, 12:53 PM
MyLittleIS
Rookie

yeah, you might just check most of your front components, another sore spot on the IS is the LCA bushings. if youre swaying a bit on the highways youre probably in need of them.
Old 11-30-11, 03:15 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Lightbulb Bingo

thats exactly what it sounds like a drill press lathe slowing down it sounds horrible really bad.....& YES im swaying ALOT!!!! is there anyway i can get some after market bearings so i wont have to replace them in the future? Damn you guys are good!! makin me feel like even more of a newb then what i already am seriously though i appreciate u guys helping me out!
Old 11-30-11, 09:25 PM
MyLittleIS
Rookie

things wear out, thats just how it is.

the wheel bearings are kinda pricey, check autozone though, may be able to get a lifetime warranty one. then just take her to a good shop to get the old ones pressed out and the new ones pressed in. as for the lca bushings, gotta go through toyota. I know Figs is working on some after market bushings but they aren't out yet.
Old 12-01-11, 11:34 AM
LucciLou
Driver

Question Soooo

Originally Posted by MyLittleIS
things wear out, thats just how it is.

the wheel bearings are kinda pricey, check autozone though, may be able to get a lifetime warranty one. then just take her to a good shop to get the old ones pressed out and the new ones pressed in. as for the lca bushings, gotta go through toyota. I know Figs is working on some after market bushings but they aren't out yet.
Ok ill check autozone for the wheel bearings....what are lca bushings?
Old 12-01-11, 01:21 PM
brownhippo
Driver School Candidate

I got wheel bearings from ebay pretty cheap not oem nut from a good company. Lca = lower control arm
Old 12-01-11, 03:56 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Question Do i have to?

O ok so i got to replace the LCA bushings if i replace the wheel bearings or its just good to do at the same time?
Old 12-05-11, 07:17 AM
MyLittleIS
Rookie

dont have to, but if youre getting high speed woble it is good to do, since you will have everything off for the wheel bearing might as well get the lca too.
Old 12-05-11, 02:56 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Question Yeah i knew it

Originally Posted by MyLittleIS
dont have to, but if youre getting high speed woble it is good to do, since you will have everything off for the wheel bearing might as well get the lca too.
i figured as much by home boy saying i should replace the LCA bushings when i do the wheel bearings i knew they had to coincide somehow....and yea ur right might as well is fo show....guess i will then thx for the f.y.i.

Are the LCA's an important part of the suspension?
Old 12-05-11, 06:57 PM
evan2k
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

you might need a shop to do it unless you have a pressor to press the wheel bearings in, i had the same problem and it was the wheel bearing. If you wanna test it out, just jack it up, shake the tire and if its loose then its the wheel bearing. Tighten the lugs and shake again, if it still moves defintely the wheel bearing
Old 12-05-11, 09:20 PM
MyLittleIS
Rookie

you will need a shop for the wheel bearings, but the lca's you can easily do yourself, there are DIY's on my.is

Quick Reply: Weird Sound!? HELP!!!