IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Anyone else being annoyed by WRX owners..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-02, 06:36 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else being annoyed by WRX owners..?

Ok, WRX....yeah,yeah..turbo whatever, so what ? You can put the same engine in '74 Corolla and beat lots of cars. But so what, it's in how you get there, a Subaru is just that, and well Lexus is a premium product.

I've seen or heard the stories of WRX's smacking down many cars, but friggin' good luck on resale....I just saw one at lunch, guy must have put 20's on it a with body kit, and massive coffee can muffler, looked fast sounded fast, but it's still POS Subaru....

Of course, I would install the never to be brought to market TRD if it ever materialized......and then enjoy seeing these WRX, get really small in the mirror.. until then, my car may be slower, but it still is way better built...
Old 10-07-02, 08:16 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about that...I like the WRX. Sure, it's not a Lexus, (it sounds very "hollow" when you close the doors) but then again, it's not $50K either. It is a car that is aimed for a specific market.

Just because it's faster than most Lexus cars doesn't mean *****. I mean my GS is faster than a Bentley (well, some of them) but does that mean that if I had a Bentley and I got smoked by a GS I'd be bitter abouti t?

It's just a different car for a different market.

Now I agree with Lexus needs to make some faster cars...just "image" pieces like the M5/M3. They don't have to sell a bundle and if they loose a little bit of money on them, so what? Think of it as adveristing costs...
Old 10-07-02, 09:05 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

To add a little, with a few upgrades, a buddy of mine pulled a 12.3 in the 1/4 mi., at a elevation of 3600ft. not to shabby. I will admit, stock they are stoppy cars, and a integra gs-r is a lot funner car for the same money, but the WRX is a good platform for a go fast car, not to mention, I've heard from friends they are fun on dirt roads
Old 10-09-02, 12:29 PM
IrishIS300
Driver School Candidate

Ok, by now you've all read about my mountainous antics with the 330i, but I need to say, I too like the WRX. I have a friend who's chick has one, and that thing FLIES and it's VERY controlable thanks to the 4wd. It's really awesome. Everytime Im in it, I think of the Audi quats at a fraction of the cost.

True, it's no Lexus...build quality (she has a few issues with it), status, and resale. But it is a differant market group. Besides...with some work, there are ways of getting the IS3 to take out a WRX! "Vee have vays of making you torque!"
Old 10-09-02, 12:42 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

...yeah,yeah I do agree with the statements made by you guys, the car is fast and handles very well......I mentioned to someone I work with who races with the SCCA and his collection of RX-3's (not sure), anyway he drove one in the rain, said it was extremely fast and this was in full on rainy conditions, he something to the fact of doing 120 MPH + through a wide corner at the race track.....*****, that is pretty cool, basically I'm just bitter...bitter about the fact that there's really chance of a TRD S/C ever being released and that there's no real turbo kit that seems affordable (under $5K).....
Old 10-10-02, 02:53 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

You know I had mine up to 390 HP (311.5 whp) and that thing was pretty darn quick. 12s's in the quarter and could kill C5's and Mustangs with ease. The funny thing, it's a wagon. Best part is I only had bolt ons. Stock block, head, intake manifold, exhaust manifold. Do not underestimate them. I'm selling it as I am just tired of it but don't think I don't miss that kind of power. Time for a 2JZ swap on the GS I think.

Last edited by Guru; 10-10-02 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-10-02, 10:34 AM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Guru
I'm selling it as I am just tired of it but don't think I don't miss that kind of power.
I know that feeling too well, I used to have a 300zxTT that made 367hp and 394lb/ft tq to the wheels, I know it's not spectaculary, but good god it was fast to me. Put a hurtin on a Viper, quite a few sc'd stangs, many bolt-on ls1's. The car did 107mph traps up here at 5600ft, so maybe would have gotten 5 or so more at sea-level, and the donuts that thing made.......
Old 10-10-02, 11:30 AM
IS200 3SGTE
Pole Position

man the TRD S/C is not going to be below 5K, i mean come on it is TRD! sure it will be quality and such but u will be paying for the name as well. i would go for a turbo more effcient on the top end and easier to come by.

And the new WRXs are fast and stuff but i love the look of the last generation japanese spec one. Still awesome car though and love the blue with the gold rims.

Last edited by IS200 3SGTE; 10-10-02 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-10-02, 03:13 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

often times it is the "owner"...:eek:

once this wannabe punk is his wannabe wrx with his wavvy bumper and wannabe hids challenged me BIG time...and he got what he asked for-dust cloud in his ugly face..and i am not referring to his car
Old 10-10-02, 09:26 PM
LexFather

WRXs are awesome and most all the owners I met are cool as hell. I think the new ALtima owners are AWFUL, the way they drive and park..not to mention them ragging on the IS 300.
Old 10-10-02, 09:35 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

So a guy comes into our shop the other day with an altima saying he dynoed 280 to the wheels, n/a in a new altima, i think he has like intake and exhaust, but get this, i live at 5600ft, that is a little over 20% hp correction meaning he thinks his car gets 330+ to the wheels........in his dreams
Old 10-10-02, 11:49 PM
IS200 3SGTE
Pole Position

LOL ya right my *** they are only rated at 275HP. He thinks he got 55HP by adding intake and exhaust. PLEASE! he should take his head out of the clouds.
Old 10-11-02, 01:25 AM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

they are rated at 245
Old 10-12-02, 07:13 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Buddy just bought a WRX...wow, when it hits around 3500 rpm, the turbos just kick in hard and it picks up very nicely. I expected a less exciting kick...handles crazy well too (we did a short canyon run in it)...

Civic quality interior but he bought it to make it into a daily driver/weekent track car...very nice...we'll see how it holds up...supposidly, the WRX is better than the rest of th Suburu line in terms of build quality...

Lexus needs to put out a 4 wheel drive IS330 or something with 285HP....
Old 10-12-02, 09:21 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for like 30k you can have a sick WRX, I am looking for a project car and came across the WRX idea, the XS turbo kit is under $5000 i think, car roughs out 400hp AWD. cheap fun

Quick Reply: Anyone else being annoyed by WRX owners..?