DO NOT buy turbo specialties turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-11, 02:11 AM
Rugbymatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO NOT buy turbo specialties turbo kit

So I went cheap on the turbo kit 3,500 is not a cheap mistake
The problems: too small of a turbo t28, the kit fits like **** I had to mod just about everything to get it to work right. after 4 months of figuring out different ways to work it, I found out the ecu piggy back that it came with it doesn't read the maf sensor in any way shape or form. I had to get a Haltech Sprint 500 Full Standalone Computer, some SRT 1,000cc High Impedance injectors because the injectors provided are mounted in front of the intake manifold causing fuel to pool in it and a WalbroŽ 255lph High Pressure intank fuel pump because the ts kit didn't come with one. I wish I would have done my research and gotten the srt stage 3 kit which is on sale for 6000 right now. I know I will never be happy with the under sized turbo but I might be able to get it on the road now This hasn't killed my love for tuning but it definitly put a sour taste in my mouth.
Old 09-14-11, 05:58 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't let it put too sour of a taste in your mouth. A good bit of research and asking fellow members would have warranted you better choices. A search on here or My IS would have brought up many ways to go about boosting your car with the correct kit or with the correct parts to piece it together. It just takes a good bit of time to research it correctly as it does to build it correctly.

Sorry this happened to you. I hope everything works out for you eventually and for god sakes get rid of that turbo soon before you get even more of a foul taste in your mouth.
Old 09-14-11, 12:16 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure you even ordered the right kit? you shouldve known a t28 would be weak for a 2jz
Old 09-14-11, 10:00 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish you wouldve asked the fellow community or went over to the myis forum. Things happen, don't let the sour taste ruin your plans
Old 09-14-11, 10:55 PM
d7620
Pole Position

***** happened...learn from it and do better (:
Old 09-15-11, 03:28 AM
Rugbymatt
Driver School Candidate

This is what I bought like I said no research: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/t...4-p-42976.html
Old 09-15-11, 09:16 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boosting the IS is not cheap or easy. something i've said a hundred times. this kit and the ebay kits pop up all the time. i keep saying to members its better off to spend the extra money and do it right the first time. SRT's current kit which comes with ECU and quality parts sells for 6k. some members look to ebay kits made in Taiwan or compare this to what theyve seen with honda mods and think thats too much but thats what required to boost an IS reliably.
Old 09-15-11, 09:49 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rugbymatt
This is what I bought like I said no research: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/t...4-p-42976.html

Yea no good. I think I may have said that in your first post when you were buying the kit. BUT at least you've learned from this and know next time to research more

Last edited by Justin727; 09-15-11 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-15-11, 10:54 AM
plus1choi
Driver

yes, just going to have to learn from this and continue with your boosting. thanks for giving others the heads up on this kit that may not be aware
Old 09-16-11, 08:05 AM
Rugbymatt
Driver School Candidate

so I just got the go ahead from the wife to get the srt stage 3 kit. The down side she gets a little yapie dog. oh well ya win some ya lose some. Well the build starts again.
Old 09-16-11, 06:22 PM
kraven9
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by baadhabit
boosting the IS is not cheap or easy. something i've said a hundred times. this kit and the ebay kits pop up all the time. i keep saying to members its better off to spend the extra money and do it right the first time. SRT's current kit which comes with ECU and quality parts sells for 6k. some members look to ebay kits made in Taiwan or compare this to what theyve seen with honda mods and think thats too much but thats what required to boost an IS reliably.

x2
Old 09-18-11, 07:46 PM
Mitsubeast
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rugbymatt
so I just got the go ahead from the wife to get the srt stage 3 kit. The down side she gets a little yapie dog. oh well ya win some ya lose some. Well the build starts again.
damn... def see now why i shouldve waited to get my wife her dog... there's more chance that i win the lottery than my wife letting me get that kit... thank god im a tech, gona be a peice by peice for me... good luck, both excited for and jealous of you... lol
Old 09-18-11, 08:56 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by slidingIS
are you sure you even ordered the right kit? you shouldve known a t28 would be weak for a 2jz
its not a T28, its a GT28...

it actually doesn't seem like too terrible of a kit except the ecu... swap that for something like an Emanage, FIC or AEM and good to go...

the SRT kit is, IMO, way overpriced, but for those that don't know how to pick proper parts, it is definitely an all inclusive kit...

any chance the OP wants to part with the manifold, turbo and downpipe from the Turbo Specialties kit?
Old 09-19-11, 05:53 AM
ISNINE
Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
its not a T28, its a GT28...

it actually doesn't seem like too terrible of a kit except the ecu... swap that for something like an Emanage, FIC or AEM and good to go...

the SRT kit is, IMO, way overpriced, but for those that don't know how to pick proper parts, it is definitely an all inclusive kit...

any chance the OP wants to part with the manifold, turbo and downpipe from the Turbo Specialties kit?
Agreed. While the SRT kit is about the best pre made kit there is, I think it is over priced for what you get....
Old 10-04-11, 09:50 PM
Stopitnow
Rookie

A gt28 will do fine on a sr20, but look at it this way, more cylinders= more dollars to mod

Quick Reply: DO NOT buy turbo specialties turbo kit