IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

New to the IS forum!

Old 07-28-11, 05:48 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember a well know member from my.is had a auburn sky with the painted lights that way. i wonder if this is the same car.
Old 07-28-11, 06:34 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by baadhabit
i remember a well know member from my.is had a auburn sky with the painted lights that way. i wonder if this is the same car.
If he was from Houston / Austin and always took the car to the dealer for servicing, then, yes! Always interesting to hear the history of a used car...
Old 07-28-11, 06:48 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just did some digging through some old posts on my.is and i think im wrong. lol. the member i was thinking of is from CA and had more noticeable mods. so nevermind
Old 07-28-11, 01:16 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the TRD wing, makes me want to stop slacking and put mine on!!!
Old 07-28-11, 01:34 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I do all my own work, years ago I had a heavily modded Eagle Talon AWD that made somewhere north of 400 whp - 26 psi on a Hahn Racecraft 20g...
Years ago I had an AWD GSX probably hitting 500+hp, big boy greddy fmic with hardpiping (hardpiping is discontinued for dsm now), FPGreen Turbo (Basically a 20g on crack!! it was the biggest and baddest at the time), Greddy Type-S bov, Greddy turbo timer, fully upgraded fuel system (denzo 770 injectors, fuel rail, 2 walbro 255lph fuel pumps, larger hard fuel lines,) 5.0 mustang throttle body, TIAL wastegate, MSD ignition and upgraded electrical components, AEM EMS, AVCR, SAFC2, Tanabe 3" exhaust with test pipe, no resinator or cat, ACT2600 clutch, stroked motor, forged pistons, everything, I mean the motor was done NICE!! EXTREME MOTORSPORTS did all the work for me.. The best part.... The car looked completely STOCK!!! And I eventually did a 97-99 conversion with GS wheels... So yeah, it was the ULTIMATE SLEEPER!! Supras, Mustangs, Vettes, EVEN KEPT UP WITH A R6 up until 120mph!!!! But the crappy thing is I built up a 2nd gen block.. So yeah, the crank walk got me good, and I built up a second motor and used a lot of parts from my old motor, and yeah it happened again.. Good thing I had a GS eclipse and a F150 for daily drivers because the GSX was in the garage more than anything.. And the emissions were soo bad I couldn't get it tagged for street use (so occasionally I swapped the plates from my GS onto the GSX.....!!) hahaha!! Dude I have soo many DSM stories! Sometimes I wish I still kept it!!

I once got kicked out of the drag strip for going into the mid 11's without a roll cage and helmet... hahahahaha

2 blown motors and years of being a garage queen I parted it out and got me a GS300, that's what got me out of speed and into luxury...!!! Fixed up the GS300 - Ltuned kit, 20" wheels etc.. then sold it and now have my new baby, the IS300.

I'm thinking about Supra or NSX next, or 2gen IS
Old 07-28-11, 02:36 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldnt mind an NSX but no way am I giving up my Supra for one. If I come across a nice one I may buy it
Old 07-28-11, 04:21 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Justin727
I wouldnt mind an NSX but no way am I giving up my Supra for one. If I come across a nice one I may buy it
Why would you prefer a supra over a NSX?
(besides speed becuase I don't care about speed anymore)
Just curious to hear your opinion, it may help me make decision easier.
Old 08-03-11, 07:50 PM
urluxury
Driver School Candidate

Congrats! Nice shots in sunshine!
Old 08-04-11, 08:34 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by llllllllll
Years ago I had an AWD GSX probably hitting 500+hp, big boy greddy fmic with hardpiping (hardpiping is discontinued for dsm now), FPGreen Turbo (Basically a 20g on crack!! it was the biggest and baddest at the time), Greddy Type-S bov, Greddy turbo timer, fully upgraded fuel system (denzo 770 injectors, fuel rail, 2 walbro 255lph fuel pumps, larger hard fuel lines,) 5.0 mustang throttle body, TIAL wastegate, MSD ignition and upgraded electrical components, AEM EMS, AVCR, SAFC2, Tanabe 3" exhaust with test pipe, no resinator or cat, ACT2600 clutch, stroked motor, forged pistons, everything, I mean the motor was done NICE!! EXTREME MOTORSPORTS did all the work for me.. The best part.... The car looked completely STOCK!!! And I eventually did a 97-99 conversion with GS wheels... So yeah, it was the ULTIMATE SLEEPER!! Supras, Mustangs, Vettes, EVEN KEPT UP WITH A R6 up until 120mph!!!! But the crappy thing is I built up a 2nd gen block.. So yeah, the crank walk got me good, and I built up a second motor and used a lot of parts from my old motor, and yeah it happened again.. Good thing I had a GS eclipse and a F150 for daily drivers because the GSX was in the garage more than anything.. And the emissions were soo bad I couldn't get it tagged for street use (so occasionally I swapped the plates from my GS onto the GSX.....!!) hahaha!! Dude I have soo many DSM stories! Sometimes I wish I still kept it!!

I once got kicked out of the drag strip for going into the mid 11's without a roll cage and helmet... hahahahaha

2 blown motors and years of being a garage queen I parted it out and got me a GS300, that's what got me out of speed and into luxury...!!! Fixed up the GS300 - Ltuned kit, 20" wheels etc.. then sold it and now have my new baby, the IS300.

I'm thinking about Supra or NSX next, or 2gen IS
Our car lives are very similar....

My car, once it was actually making a decent amount of power was down more than it was up and if it wasn't one thing, it was another... When I finally started parting it out, I saw so many things that just wouldn't have lasted much longer at all - the splines on the transfer case were a few launches away from being non existent, the rear end was starting to make noise, etc...

I'd like an NSX or a Viper, but not next... I'm keeping the IS, will turbo it, keep it around 400whp, and work my way into something else...

I had multiple DSM's 'cause there was always something wrong with one or more...
Old 08-04-11, 08:38 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by llllllllll
Why would you prefer a supra over a NSX?
(besides speed becuase I don't care about speed anymore)
Just curious to hear your opinion, it may help me make decision easier.
Sorry I completely missed this. I don't want to jack the OP's thread but when I get some free time I'll pm you. Sorry for the late reply
Old 08-04-11, 08:40 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by urluxury
Congrats! Nice shots in sunshine!
thanks!!!!
Old 08-04-11, 02:17 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Our car lives are very similar....

My car, once it was actually making a decent amount of power was down more than it was up and if it wasn't one thing, it was another... When I finally started parting it out, I saw so many things that just wouldn't have lasted much longer at all - the splines on the transfer case were a few launches away from being non existent, the rear end was starting to make noise, etc...

I'd like an NSX or a Viper, but not next... I'm keeping the IS, will turbo it, keep it around 400whp, and work my way into something else...

I had multiple DSM's 'cause there was always something wrong with one or more...

Same here, I rarely ever drove my GSX but I really I just loved the look of it, that's why I got my GS and invested all my money into making the GSX into a beast, that sleeps in the garage more than it came out to play... But when i brought it out, it was amazing.. There are no words to describe the look on a guys face who's racing you on a R6 when he looks over at you and you're running right beside him!!! And nothing can describe the amount of happiness i got after spanking one supra then going to race another supra and the owner quickly lifts his hood and says "oh i need time to let my engine cool down, i'll race you later...." hahahaha

Oh and one of my many attempts to get my GSX street legal, I took it to the inspection lane.... The inspection lane worker told me to turn off the car and hand him the keys... When I did what he asked, he looked at me like he just saw a ghost.... I was like "huuh? what's wrong?!" then he look at my car keys which were in his hand and looked back at the car, because the car was still running... (I guess he never saw a turbo-timer before.. LOL)

Soo many funny DSM stories..

Yeah man, Toyota is good, 2jz is built like a tank, that's why I switched.....

Can't wait to see what you do with your IS!!

Last edited by llllllllll; 08-04-11 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-04-11, 03:54 PM
evan2k
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

what kind of spoiler is that?
Old 08-04-11, 07:19 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by evan2k
what kind of spoiler is that?
It is TRD wing

Chances are, it's a replica since there are so many in circulation and the real deal costs upwards of $600

I have one too, just haven't installed it yet. No shame in my game!