IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

SRT Intake w/ECU, PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 07:41 PM
FunksIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT Intake w/ECU, PROBLEMS

ok so i had my mechanic install my SRT intake today along with ngk iridium spark plugs and my oil change synthetic mobil 1 i use, just under 4000miles i had on the previous oil change. so i picked the car up on my lunch break today drove it a mile back to work sounded great no problems ran shifted smoothly. i get off work. and start driving white smoke and i mean alot of white smoke starts pouring out the exhaust along with "check engine" flashing still shifted fine but shaking of the steering wheel and shifter seemed a little abnormal. i have him looking at it tomorrow. but any suggestion what the problem may be?? Car has just over 94k thanks. all in all the car was prolly drove like 3-4miles after i got the intake on.
Old 07-01-11, 09:28 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you see oil in your coolant? Did you have the CEL code read?
Old 07-02-11, 07:19 AM
FunksIS300
Driver School Candidate

oil in the coolant, i did not check that. If that is case it would possibly mean? As of the CEL i wanted to but his shop was closer than any Advance auto and i wanted to do as lil driving as possible. I checked all the clips and ignition coils everything seems to be snug. The odds of the coils or spark plugs being bad are slim, but if one is do you think that could be the problem?
Old 07-02-11, 03:18 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

From what I've read, white smoke from the exhaust usually means your car has a blown head gasket (white smoke all the time and your coolant looks like chocolate milk) or it's cold out, and the white smoke (condensation) is normal until the car warms up. Start by checking your coolant.
Old 07-02-11, 05:27 PM
FunksIS300
Driver School Candidate

I talked to him today and he said theres no oil in the coolant. he ran the diagnosis and the CEL is bringing up a cylinder misfire code for only cylinder number 5. he put the stock intake back in and he said it actually sounded worse than before. so either the SRT mass flow sensor is either not calibrated right, or the ignition coils/spark plugs are bad. From what i understood cylinder 5 was actually receiving gasoline and burning it strait to the White smoke. This is a confusing issue for me, and as of for my mechanic "bizarre" i quote lol.
Old 07-02-11, 05:32 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Was the R-ECU wired correctly? Was the MAF sensor installed correctly? I would double check that.
Old 07-02-11, 05:35 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

This is getting beyond what I can advise on, but a common problem with SRT installs is putting on the lower pipe backwards. That would end up making the MAF sensor face the wrong direction. Also, make sure the proper instructions were used. There is a set for 2001, and a separate set for 2002-2005. If he put the stock intake back in without uninstalling the R-ECU and jumping the sensor 1 wire, I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded worse.

Last edited by rvalero; 07-02-11 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-02-11, 05:43 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i think it might be a MAF related issue since it was working fine and then the computer relearned and started acting up.
Old 07-02-11, 05:56 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Here's a pic of my MAF. Did yours look like it was installed the same way?

Did the tech install the evap vsv (what all the colored wires and tubes attach to). He would have needed to take it off the stock airbox, and replace the lower hose.
Old 07-03-11, 12:26 PM
FunksIS300
Driver School Candidate

MAF looks legit. and as for the speed senor he told me it had to be hooked up to the airbox. i have that black ridged wire, but what are the yellow and redish looking one you have?
Old 07-03-11, 03:28 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

There should be 3 things going to the Evap VSV, which is a valve for gas vapors.
  • A hose with spiral wrap that is attached to a metal line (yellow).
  • An electrical plug (Red).
  • The bottom hose that attaches to your air filter (see red arrow in my previous post).

Was that part properly installed? I hope he didn't do something stupid like letting a glob of solder fall into the ECU. That could potentially jump pins and cause who knows what kind of problems.
Old 07-03-11, 08:41 PM
FunksIS300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help rvalero i use this thread to see if this will help resolve my problem. and i know he did solder things he didnt say there was any mishaps lets hope he didnt do that.
Old 07-03-11, 08:56 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

No problem. I hope you get the issue resolved soon, and definitely keep us updated on the situation. I'm curious to see what is causing the problem. Has your mechanic inspected the plug on #5? If you signed up at my.IS, you should ask over there too. The IS300 section over there has a LOT more traffic. Good luck!

Last edited by rvalero; 07-03-11 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-04-11, 06:08 PM
nsh1351
Driver School Candidate

I highly doubt you popped a head gasket. However it does sound as though either your spark plugs weren't torques down properly or that the wiring wasn't soldered as directed, it's very very important not to get the wrong wires soldered and to not use crimps
Old 07-05-11, 05:58 AM
FunksIS300
Driver School Candidate

We ordered a new plug for cylinder 5, and new ignition coils/wires to be safe. His gonna clear out the MAF and re-install it on later today after we get the them. And hopfully it will get resolved. Il let ya guys know how it turns out. Thanks for suggestions and posts.

Quick Reply: SRT Intake w/ECU, PROBLEMS