IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

I dont think its floating calipers anymore

Old 05-01-11, 05:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Default I dont think its floating calipers anymore

I have been told that the clicking from the brakes at low speeds is due to the floating caliper design. I wanted to get some insight on what other people are experiencing, because mine click at low speeds constantly, especially after a cold start. Usually happens at less than 5 miles per hour, especially after shifting into gear. So as I am parallel parking (shifting from drive to reverse or opposite), I get the clicking sound. Its so loud on the outside and inside the car that passengers have asked me if there is something wrong with my brakes.
Old 05-01-11, 06:16 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i get it when i change directions and brake, so when i pull out of my driveway i hear it when they move rear when i hit the brakes and then once again when i get to the first stop sign in my development, then i wont hear it again until i back up and hit the brakes, does that sound like what its doing or is it clicking more than that?
Old 05-01-11, 06:55 PM
RXSF

its definitely happening as you describe because I often hear it after shifting gears as in changing directions. But I have also heard it after driving in one direction and then slowing down at like a parking spot so it is much more common than just after changing directions
Old 05-02-11, 03:19 AM
UNOHOO

well i could be wrong on this but i always just assumed it was my brake pads, shifting forward when i stop or shifting back when i reverse and stop. perhaps yours are even looser and gravity makes them sink down again and that why you hear it again even though you have gone in reverse.... maybe... im kinda just theorizing here, if you move the car as slow as possible does it still make the sound? and is it the same volume?
Old 05-02-11, 10:18 AM
RXSF

It usually happens when I am crawling forward on idle and the sound is always just as loud. Slowing down at speed I dont usually hear it. thanks for the help.

I guess I have to take it as it is and accept that its common, but I feel like mine happen much more often
Old 05-02-11, 12:03 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

when was the last time you had a brake job performed?
Old 05-02-11, 02:33 PM
KPC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad someone posted about this. ever since i bought my IS its been doing this. When i back up and aply the brakes i hear it click. then only the first time after that when i apply the brakes going forward i hear it again. I never hear it again after that unless i go in reverse again. people often ask me if something is wrong too lol. what the heck is going on here? ive never done a brake job, havent needed to.
Old 05-02-11, 03:18 PM
UNOHOO

yea i mean if you get in there and take the caliper apart you see that theres not a whole lot that could make noise like that except the pad sliding
Old 05-02-11, 04:14 PM
RXSF

Ive definitely had the pads changed at least twice on this car, the usual resurfacing of the rotors. I dont think much else has been done on them. All of this done at the lexus dealership
Old 05-02-11, 04:44 PM
doitra
Rookie

yea i've had the same question when i bought my car.
my friend is the parts manager at a toyota dealership and he recommended i take the car to a toyota certified mech to take a look. he set it up so it was a free check up. before i could even finish explaining to the mech about the situation, he knew what i was talking about and said thats normal for the is300....its nothing to worry about. so i just took his word for it and let it alone. now that i read this post, i guess it is normal. haha.
Old 05-02-11, 05:23 PM
UNOHOO

yea i mean ive had my calipers off several times, all for painting applications, im even in the middle of a new paint on them now lol, theres really not much to them so yea it has to be normal
Old 05-02-11, 06:43 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

well there is one set of clips that ive noticed on a couple IS300s that goes around the brake pads that are commonly missing. mine is missing this clip on the passenger side and thats the side that makes the noise. if i have some free time in the future i will post pics of this. i assumed thats what caused the noise
Old 05-02-11, 06:45 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
Ive definitely had the pads changed at least twice on this car, the usual resurfacing of the rotors. I dont think much else has been done on them. All of this done at the lexus dealership
i cant believe you have your rotors turned. that weakens the rotors sooo much. ive seen alot of misfortune due to this. not safe
Old 05-02-11, 07:48 PM
RXSF

yeah I dont know why its protocol for lexus to do that every time you change the pads. MB techs don't even touch the rotors and are set on replacing them instead.
Old 05-03-11, 05:36 AM
kraven9
Lead Lap

It is definitely NOT normal. On my first IS, I never had that problem. Now on my second, I have that problem.

SlidingIS could be right, I have to check mine. Post pics when you can. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I dont think its floating calipers anymore