IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

New to the IS club and need some help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 12:50 AM
F2D
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the IS club and need some help!!

Hey guys i just bought my IS300 last week and just needs some help so let me know whats your thoughts? my questions are what maintenance do i need to do at this point because the previous owner did not do anything to it after it hit 100k. I also want to know what kind of OIL should i put in to it? thanks for you help guys!

specs: 2002 Lexus IS300
miles: 112,000
Old 04-14-11, 05:29 AM
slmmdis300
Driver School Candidate

i would personally check the timing belt. i just bought one myself and i am going to change the timing belt. not sure if it was done, but doing it anyway to be on the safe side. it would not hurt to check all the fluids aswell as tires and brakes.
Old 04-14-11, 06:01 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Use a synthetic 5W20
Old 04-14-11, 09:15 AM
F2D
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by slmmdis300
i would personally check the timing belt. i just bought one myself and i am going to change the timing belt. not sure if it was done, but doing it anyway to be on the safe side. it would not hurt to check all the fluids aswell as tires and brakes.
Thanks bro that's what I was wondering. I definitly will do that soon and do the water pump too. Yeah it does need new rotors and breaks.
Old 04-14-11, 09:16 AM
F2D
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Justin727
Use a synthetic 5W20
Thanks bro that's what I was assuming but wanted to make sure.
Old 04-14-11, 09:31 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

5W30!!! MY BAD just been working on fords a lot!
Old 04-14-11, 09:35 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil change. check the other fluids. check suspension arms, brakes. if you're doing timing belt, do water pump too, i would do spark plug as well.
Old 04-14-11, 11:17 AM
02IS-GTE
Driver

belts, water pump, tension pulley, idler pulley, change all fluids, check all bushings in suspension arms, plugs and wires, fuel filter, all light bulbs, air filter, new rotors and pads, check the brake lines, if its manual, see how the clutch feels......
Old 04-15-11, 08:29 AM
UNOHOO

i personally use a K&N hp-1002 oil filter and pennzoil ultra 5w-30 but....to each their own

nonetheless if you wanna do plugs, i have heard bad stories behind the bosch plugs, i run NGK iridium IX, or you can go with something else but make sure it is iridium tipped

here is a link to the DIY i wrote on how to do your plus, let me know if you have any questions about it.

http://www.isfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8002
Old 04-15-11, 09:44 AM
BernieIS

In what ever brand oil you buy make sure it is a highmilage oil. Also if it is synthetic you are gonna wanna make sure you continue using it from then on (not necessary but is recommended)
Old 04-15-11, 09:47 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by BernieIS
In what ever brand oil you buy make sure it is a highmilage oil. Also if it is synthetic you are gonna wanna make sure you continue using it from then on (not necessary but is recommended)
very true, i have read that you dont want to switch oil around all the time but especially with dino/synth and that once you go synth dont go back, i dont remember the specifics but i remember it had to do with oil leakage around seals, good work on bringing this up Bernie
Old 04-19-11, 01:05 AM
F2D
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 02IS-GTE
belts, water pump, tension pulley, idler pulley, change all fluids, check all bushings in suspension arms, plugs and wires, fuel filter, all light bulbs, air filter, new rotors and pads, check the brake lines, if its manual, see how the clutch feels......
Thanks bro! Im going to start buying all the parts for it!
Originally Posted by UNOHOO
i personally use a K&N hp-1002 oil filter and pennzoil ultra 5w-30 but....to each their own

nonetheless if you wanna do plugs, i have heard bad stories behind the bosch plugs, i run NGK iridium IX, or you can go with something else but make sure it is iridium tipped

here is a link to the DIY i wrote on how to do your plus, let me know if you have any questions about it.

http://www.isfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8002
Wow i never thought it was this much pain to change spark plugs! I came from having a civic to the IS now so its looks a lot harder! Civics are just right in the front and take like 5 mins to do but thanks for the write up on it though. That will help me out a lot.

Originally Posted by BernieIS
Yeah i was planning on going with Mobile one 5w30 fully syn but the only bad thing is the previous owner never used syn before so is it bad?
Old 04-19-11, 06:30 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by F2D
Yeah i was planning on going with Mobile one 5w30 fully syn but the only bad thing is the previous owner never used syn before so is it bad?
no you should be fine, just pick something and stick with it, thats the key, also, word of advice, the oil filter is a PIA to get to and take out/put back in, the K&N has a nut on the top of the filter, makes it a lot easier to do, a lot of people go from the bottom to get to the filter, with the nut being on top there, i go from the top everytime and can do my oil in 10 min now....first time i did it though took me two hours lol
Old 04-20-11, 10:50 PM
F2D
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
no you should be fine, just pick something and stick with it, thats the key, also, word of advice, the oil filter is a PIA to get to and take out/put back in, the K&N has a nut on the top of the filter, makes it a lot easier to do, a lot of people go from the bottom to get to the filter, with the nut being on top there, i go from the top everytime and can do my oil in 10 min now....first time i did it though took me two hours lol
Ok thanks bro sounds good! How many quarts does it take btw? oh thanks for the advice!
Old 04-21-11, 05:11 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by F2D
Ok thanks bro sounds good! How many quarts does it take btw? oh thanks for the advice!
6, the best way ive found to go about doing it (pennzoil Ultra 5w-30) is to go to wal-mart and pick up a 5 quart for 27 bucks and then go to advance autoparts or autozone and get one quart plus the filter, doing it that way i only spend roughly 45 bucks and produce a little less waste, hooray for trying to conserve natural resources!!

Quick Reply: New to the IS club and need some help!!