IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Help me try and make sure Im not getting screwed...please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 03:50 PM
4pointslow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me try and make sure Im not getting screwed...please!!!

**NOW WITH PICS!!**
If you wanna know details on my car purchase, see my other post from last week. Heres my concern, though.
As part of my agreement and a "we owe" form, the dealership was to perform a timing belt service. The car went in today and when I picked her up, the invoice stated, "tech found timing belt previously replaced". Fk that. I want the service anyway. How do I know that whoever did it before used OEM parts, etc. The car was not previously serviced through Lexus.
Am I right?
Anyway, within the nxt few days, Im bringing the car in again to have this service done, regardless. Hell, it was part of the deal and I can rest assured a trained Lexus tech did the job. I wont get into how mad I am that they didnt just do the job...I have it in writing!!

So, question...how do I mark the water pump? Where is it? Is it easy accessible? Whats best, a sharpie, scratch with a screwdriver? I want to make sure they actually do it.
Any words of wisdom? Links and pics would be great. In the mean time, I'll be searching.

Last edited by 4pointslow; 03-09-11 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-08-11, 04:27 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

mark it and just ask for your old parts back.. water pump is easily accessible
Old 03-08-11, 04:52 PM
4pointslow
Rookie

Thanks, bud. Im no mechanic, though. I found a write up on replacing the timing belt and dont see an easy way of accessing the pump without removing a ton of things. Do you happen to have a specific way for me to mark it? Otherwise, Ill just have to pop the cover and maybe mark the belt itself. Not sure how to do that safely, though.
Old 03-08-11, 08:18 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have everything in writing, I don't see how they can get out of it. You don't need to remove anything to see the water pump, and it's easily accessible for what you want to do. Although it should be blatantly obvious if the pump was replaced, you can put your initials on it with a black marker.

WP:

w/ old WP:
http://is300.rx7t2.com/images/124_2494.JPG

w/ new WP:
http://is300.rx7t2.com/images/124_2499.JPG

You can do the same the same with the t-belt. The t-belt can be accessed by removing the engine cover and the cam gear cover. I think you'll need a 10mm socket and hex wrench (maybe 6mm).

Like somebody mentioned, ask for your old parts, and verify that your initials are on them. If you really don't trust them, you can take phone pics of your markings to compare to the parts you get back after the service is completed.
Old 03-08-11, 09:41 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah the old one will be very dirty and the timing belt wont look nice and neat. Just look for a shiny pump on your car and a dirty one back and get a the old belt back. you could just go up there when they are finishing up and look it over as well
Old 03-09-11, 05:02 AM
4pointslow
Rookie

Thanks, guys! The Lexus tech said the stuff on there had been "previously done". So, on my lunch break, in some daylight, Im going to get in there and check it out for myself. Even if the stuff is new, Im going to have them replace it again, as per our agreement. I feel like they think Im being a ball buster but my point is that it wasnt serviced through Lexus...how do I know if a qualified mechanic did the job, when exactly they did it and if they used OEM parts??
I plan on taking cell pics of my marks so, Ill post em up! Those pics and specific instructions are super helpful. Thank you so much!!!!
Old 03-09-11, 06:10 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pointslow
Thanks, guys! The Lexus tech said the stuff on there had been "previously done". So, on my lunch break, in some daylight, Im going to get in there and check it out for myself. Even if the stuff is new, Im going to have them replace it again, as per our agreement. I feel like they think Im being a ball buster but my point is that it wasnt serviced through Lexus...how do I know if a qualified mechanic did the job, when exactly they did it and if they used OEM parts??
I plan on taking cell pics of my marks so, Ill post em up! Those pics and specific instructions are super helpful. Thank you so much!!!!
Believe it or not since it is a "we owe" you've already paid for it. Better make them do it. I'd do seals too even if you have to pay them a tit bit more. Everywhere I've worked a timing belt job has ranged from just the TB, TB & WP, TB* WP* Seals* tensioner and drive belt. So be sure to ask what they consider a timing belt job and what all they replace..

Last edited by Justin727; 03-09-11 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-09-11, 10:33 AM
4pointslow
Rookie

Pics as promised.
I took a bunch. You'll see where I marked the WP. The first pic doesnt have the mark.
What do you guys think? Old or new? Either way, they need to do it but I'm just curious.

Mark

Mark

Old 03-09-11, 02:56 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your t-belt looks better than mine, but your water pump looks old...then again, I'm due for a new belt lol. Does your due bill specifically say t-belt AND w-pump, or just the t-belt?

On a side note, I'm glad my car never sees snow. Parts of your engine bay look like a coral reef

Last edited by rvalero; 03-09-11 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 04:02 PM
4pointslow
Rookie

lol @ coral reef!! Seriously. This is a southern car, too. I dont know what the hell the previous owner did!
Anyway, here is an update:
Car went in to Lexus today. The service lady was really nice (and really cute). She assured me they would do the pump, belt and seals. Since they where slow, they promised my car to be finished before 6pm. At 430, I got the call. "Sir we have some bad news. Apparently the water pump we had was defective so we had to order a new one. We'll need to keep your car overnight."

Oh well. They gave me a 2010 IS 250 as a loaner. My 300 is faster but this one is very fun to drive. Backup camera is slick as hell along with some other neat features. At least it wasnt like the Ford dealership yesterday...giving me an old *** Mercury Sable that was almost out of gas and smelled like smokey wet dog farts.
Ill update again tomorrow!
Old 03-09-11, 08:33 PM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I hope everything works out for you. Congrats on the new ride.
Old 03-10-11, 01:20 PM
4pointslow
Rookie

All done. Clearly a new water pump.

Damn right, as soon as this rain stops, Ill be popping the cover and inspecting the Timing Belt, too!!

Old 03-10-11, 02:28 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

very good!!
Old 03-10-11, 07:09 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like they did you right
Old 03-10-11, 09:25 PM
Kingpin
Rookie

Looks like the water pump was acid wash ...

Congrats .. Since this drive line is almost bullet proof ..be ready to do another 3 more water pump and belt swaps ..