66.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Trading GS400 for IS300

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-11, 10:56 PM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the input. I've been driving my GS for a little over 4 years. Although it's been great ownership experience. I do feel like it's time to get into a different vehicle. My car being as old as it is, is starting to show it's age. Bumpers need touching up, Headlights are hazy, squeeks over bumps [stupid poly bushings!], and the resale value is downright disappointing.

Being that this IS has had a pretty major overhaul, I'm looking at a car that should run for a long while with just routine oil changes.

Ever since my first time acquiring someone's project car [LSVTEC Integra], I've been leery to jump into another one. But this IS seems to offer what I'm looking for. If I truly didn't like it, I'm hoping I can at least sell it for more than what I'd get for the GS?

I'm going to have a look at it. What have I got to lose besides time and gas + toll money. LoL.
Old 01-16-11, 01:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Your GS is really clean. The IS your looking at is a stick, that would be fun. Dunno about that headliner tho..
Old 01-16-11, 03:34 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

ummm

The GS400 has a 300hp V8 and more room... Dont do it.
Old 01-16-11, 03:50 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vic Nyce
Thank you all for the input. I've been driving my GS for a little over 4 years. Although it's been great ownership experience. I do feel like it's time to get into a different vehicle. My car being as old as it is, is starting to show it's age. Bumpers need touching up, Headlights are hazy, squeeks over bumps [stupid poly bushings!], and the resale value is downright disappointing.

I would care to disagree with you. I love my GS400... the engine is a beast and throws everyone hard back in there seat and that V8 will outrun alot of cars on the road. It still feels solid and reminds me every time I shut the door I get that well built thud. My leather seat still feel great and look great and the Nakamichi sound system still sound great and beats hard. My GS400 rides smooth and yes my headlights where hazy but I brought new headlights with the factory HID and the car looks great crystal clear. The V8 still turns over with a nice rumble and the car has loads for space and comfort. The shape of the GS still look modern and attractive dont believe me take a trip over to the 2nd gen GS posts.

In my eyes my GS400 is better then ALOT of new cars being built easily. It all falls back on how well you took care of your car.

The only thing I wish the GS did have.. was a heated steering wheel but other then that the car mets all needs and then some. No need to upgrade... and even If i do upgrade. The GS400 will remain.
Old 01-17-11, 09:01 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Do what I did....

My IS300 is auto and I want a 5spd, so I just went out and got a 5 speed 240sx (they are cheap now-a-days)

When I want confort and style I drive my IS300,
When I want to drive stick and beat up on my car and have fun I drive the 240sx.
If something goes wrong with the 240sx I'll be alright because I can still drive around in my IS300.
Old 01-17-11, 09:09 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That's one hacked up looking IS....
Old 01-17-11, 11:18 AM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

was the duude smoking a crack pipe, i am 100 serious

give me half of what he spent on that ****ty looking car and ill make a gem out of IS,
mismatched everything and paint jobs is outright crappyyy

this is not a honduhhh, its a lex, so it shall be modded like one

i have a5spd and i love it, so much fun and peppy little bad boy
Old 01-17-11, 12:11 PM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You would be better off trading for a unmolested one. This car looks like it has been WAY torn into. I have never driven a GS400 but ive driven GS300's and they are much more cushy and luxury than the IS. The IS has very nice quick steering and stiffer ride. Interior on the IS is more toyota than lexus. I really like the seats but the dash is alittle cheap. Id recommend finding a different IS if its what you want
Old 01-17-11, 12:21 PM
felixdang
Driver

Keep the GS
Old 01-17-11, 08:17 PM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

i appreciate all the input but i ended up pulling the trigger and doing the trade.

the car was a customer's car which he ended up not being able to afford. after all's said and done, all these parts and labor have gone into it and the shop just wanted it out. my old car will be going to the shop owner's wife and i will get to row my own gears.

after considering all the maintenance that was done; it felt like the right decision. i hope that the fact its 4 years younger and rarer will work to my advantage when the time comes to look for its replacement.

driving it home was definitely different from the GS. because its shorter, it bucks more over bumps. however the suspension did feel better than the hard *** setup i had in the GS. the center stack and console are crap compared to the GS, but i prefer the techy look of the IS' dash and gauges. the solid door closing thud is also gone. but now i realize just how heavy that GS door was. the IS doors are light(!).

its actually not that bad in person. the door panels are back to black. only the headliner remains. oh well, it will be a conversation piece. im trying to find someone to trade me the CF hood for a stock one. once thats done. i think i'll be pretty happy for a while.
Old 01-17-11, 11:21 PM
babyboost
Rookie

that was my boy Mikes car, he def put alot of work into it. Good luck with da new ride.
Old 01-18-11, 08:05 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bufferdan
Interior on the IS is more honda than lexus.
fixed
Old 01-18-11, 08:07 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vic Nyce
. im trying to find someone to trade me the CF hood for a stock one. once thats done. i think i'll be pretty happy for a while.
I have stock white one, I'm in philly
Old 01-18-11, 09:16 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

sweet. you got PM
Old 01-20-11, 06:34 PM
Sceptre
Pole Position

Depends on what you are looking for. I had both GS and IS (at the same time). I had the GS first and loved driving , but wanted something sportier, so I got a the IS. After about a year, I sold the IS. IS was more fun to drive, quicker, and more maneuverable because of its size, but in the end the GS was way more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Trading GS400 for IS300