IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

question on getting a new key for my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 08:26 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

If one of the keyless is broken, you don't have to do a damn thing however. Just buy a new shell/key and have it cut then the transponder just slides in the shell from one key to the other.
Old 12-06-10, 10:04 PM
rayy117
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha the previous owner gave me 2 broken keyless keys hahaha so i have to get it switched out before i lose it hahah
Old 12-07-10, 01:04 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Looks like you have 2 transponder keys.
You're all good man.

If the transponders don't work just open them up with a small philips head screw driver. (1 screw)

- Then take out the transponder
- Open it up with the same tiny screwdriver (2 screws)
- Replace the battery
- Close it back up
- Press a button to see if the little light blinks.

If the light on the transponder blinks then your transponder is good.
If your transponder doesn't unlock/lock your car then all you gotta do is program it to work with your car...

Copied and pasted from MY.IS

Remote Programming

1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove key. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove key.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.
After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.
10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.

Key Programming (Starter Chip)
1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed (Be patient, it'll happen). To end programming step on brake one time.

NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

Last edited by llllllllll; 12-07-10 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-07-10, 06:42 PM
flavs23
Rookie

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
llllllllll , Slave key transponder cannot duplicate itself, only master.

rayy117, you have all the keys, master and slave, so you can duplicate yours. You must use the one with the keyless buttons as the master to duplicate from, the one without keyless (slave key) cannot be used even though it has a transponder in it.
correct! if all you have is a "slave" or valet key as the dealer would call it u cant copy the immobilizer code off of that. once you get a master key you can program the keyless yourself. dont quite exactly remember the sequence but its like key on, key off, in ignition, out ignition, lock unlock 5times with the master switch then like door open, door closed a certain amount of times then press and hold the lock and unlock on the key and if done correctly the horn will honk. i know because thats what i did with mine.
Old 12-07-10, 06:44 PM
flavs23
Rookie

Originally Posted by llllllllll
Looks like you have 2 transponder keys.
You're all good man.

If the transponders don't work just open them up with a small philips head screw driver. (1 screw)

- Then take out the transponder
- Open it up with the same tiny screwdriver (2 screws)
- Replace the battery
- Close it back up
- Press a button to see if the little light blinks.

If the light on the transponder blinks then your transponder is good.
If your transponder doesn't unlock/lock your car then all you gotta do is program it to work with your car...

Copied and pasted from MY.IS

Remote Programming

1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove key. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove key.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.
After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.
10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.

Key Programming (Starter Chip)
1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed (Be patient, it'll happen). To end programming step on brake one time.

NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.
ha! thats it!!!!! didnt see your post.
Old 12-08-10, 06:54 PM
rayy117
Lead Lap

the unlock and lock buttons work... just the metal part of the key broke off the plastic so the key and buttons are in two pieces. I was just gonna buy a Blank off ebay and get it cut and move over the buttons. Its going to work if i just get a blank key off ebay and get it cut and move over the buttons right?
Old 12-08-10, 08:38 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

yea it will work, that is exactly what I did for my spare key, so I would have 2 working keys.
Old 12-08-10, 10:45 PM
rayy117
Lead Lap

ok cool thanks guys!
Old 12-09-10, 08:23 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rayy117
the unlock and lock buttons work... just the metal part of the key broke off the plastic so the key and buttons are in two pieces. I was just gonna buy a Blank off ebay and get it cut and move over the buttons. Its going to work if i just get a blank key off ebay and get it cut and move over the buttons right?
Ohhhhh ok i understand now..
Yeah just get a blank key off ebay for $10.
Find someone that will cut it (probably around $30) and you're all set!

Old 12-09-10, 06:36 PM
rayy117
Lead Lap

k COOL THANKS! i superglued it back on but it still makes the cracking noise whenever i start the car hahaha so ghetto =P