IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Turbo Set up...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 06:05 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Set up...Help!

I want to turbo the IS but I have heard alot of different things you gotta do as far as the AEM and the ECU. This is my first turbo ever so I gotta get the details, and if some one has done it give me a rough estimate on what i will be spending the last thing I wanna do is run outta money on my dd lol thanks for your input
Old 11-23-10, 07:12 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

First step = get a daily beater...
Old 11-23-10, 09:13 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^+1. Im pricing a 2jzgte builld right now for a 240 and its not cheap. first off the 2JZGE in your Lexus is not in anyway good for a turbo candidate. the bottom end isnt good for much more than like 400. which in one of these cars you need at least that much to make it somewhat fast. so you have to buy forged pistons and new rods which will cost you close to $2000. And thats not even including the turbo or manidolds or piping or ecu tuning.so your best bet is buying a whole 2JZGTE which will run about the same amount of money and they can hold way more hp on stock internals. but you will have do some wiring and such.

Honestly your best bet is to figure probably 5 to 10k depending on what hp you want and how mechanically inclined you are. and thats to do it right.

your question is very broad some get more specific as to what you want and we can give you a more realistic estimate. and also do you have a 5 speed car or auto. do you wanna convert to a 5 spd etc.
Old 11-24-10, 07:14 AM
ais300c
Pole Position

I'm looking to run seriously like 7-10 psi, I want maybe like 320 to the wheels and I got a daily beater( Saturn l300 all day haha!) but it's auto want to keep it auto and I want to do the turbo for just some more power I'm really concerned about the tuning and everything from what I heard the ecu is the biggest thing I just wanted to kno how some people did it
Old 11-24-10, 08:24 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slidingIS
^+1. Im pricing a 2jzgte builld right now for a 240 and its not cheap. first off the 2JZGE in your Lexus is not in anyway good for a turbo candidate. the bottom end isnt good for much more than like 400. which in one of these cars you need at least that much to make it somewhat fast. so you have to buy forged pistons and new rods which will cost you close to $2000. And thats not even including the turbo or manidolds or piping or ecu tuning.so your best bet is buying a whole 2JZGTE which will run about the same amount of money and they can hold way more hp on stock internals. but you will have do some wiring and such.

Honestly your best bet is to figure probably 5 to 10k depending on what hp you want and how mechanically inclined you are. and thats to do it right.

your question is very broad some get more specific as to what you want and we can give you a more realistic estimate. and also do you have a 5 speed car or auto. do you wanna convert to a 5 spd etc.
The VVT-I is still a good canidate to boost sir

Actually 300hp in the IS300 is pretty quick to say the least. Even the 320hp the gentleman is looking for is decently quick.

I personally wouldn't build an IS300 into a monster BUT it would be fun! I'm actually gathering up bits and pieces of my old setup on my Supra and maybe possibly piecing something together for the IS. High 290-320 would be my goal as well.
If I wanted to drive a monster I would just hop in my supra but again thats just me. I may possibly even build a custom manifold and run a T3 setup as I'm not trying to build a monster out of the IS. Just something with a little more pep

Last edited by Justin727; 11-24-10 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-24-10, 08:55 AM
dubstar
Pole Position

from what i understand some of the IS's actually have GTE internals and can handle a decent amount of boost
Old 11-24-10, 09:54 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dubstar
from what i understand some of the IS's actually have GTE internals and can handle a decent amount of boost

Incorrect.

It can handle boost well once the HG has been changed over to either a GTE HG or even thicker.

IIRC I think you can still source a new GTE short block for around 2500 or just build yours yourself for that of or less than 2500
Old 11-24-10, 01:53 PM
dubstar
Pole Position

boosted is def more fun though I had no plans to boost this car until I found someone who decided they didn't want their gte and is hopefully going to give it to me...cracked head though
Old 11-24-10, 02:50 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

I agree and considering a lot of the newer cars are coming out with atleast 300hp makes the IS300 very out dated.
Old 11-24-10, 06:20 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

That's why you slam your car and put on 18"s or 19"s
When you're riding low with big wheels you could give a rats a$$ about horsepower...

Old 11-24-10, 09:32 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

^+1 correct sir.
and alot of work needs to be done to make a vvt-i a good candidate for boost. otherwise after a while it goes boom because 300hp gets old and you will want more. thats just how it always goes. but thats besides the point.

As far as tuning goes its simple. Get an EMS and have somebody who knows the software dyno tune it. and by the way just a heads up when your car gets tuned it will probably be the harshest conditions your motor goes through. all the more reason you need to make sure your motor is put together well. Ive seen many motors get destroyed on the dyno because they would cut corners and not have it set up properly. but once you have an EMS it will be very easy for your car to be tuned.
Old 11-26-10, 03:15 PM
cashed350
Rookie

well since noone else has said it, i will . .. someone should've explained how difficult it is to put a GTE in an IS . . unless you purchase a late model VVT-I GTE which are not as easy to source and are considerably more $$$ ! you can use a non vvt-i but its not suggested since you do have to use your factory ecu. I have seen a VVT-I setup run as high as 4000 motor/auto trans/ecu, which can be a drop in affair and with BPU you could be close to 400hp reliably.
Old 11-26-10, 03:25 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa, there is so much misinformation in this thread. First of all, you need to determine what your power goals are. Once you do that, then you can go from there. Not everyone's goal is a 1,000,000 rwhp dyno queen. Your stock motor is perfectly fine for boost, they have been proven over and over for years. But you also have the choice of building your stock block with forged internals, GTE internals or swapping a GTE shortblock, swapping a VVTI GTE and non VVTI, etc. Again, it all depends on your goals but keep in mind budget, emissions, etc.
Old 11-28-10, 05:37 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

so for those of you who have turbo charged their lexus did you use the stock internals? for only 7-10 psi I feel that the 2jz-ge will be just fine but I just want to know about the ecu fuel etc I know the basics but what about those two thing particularly you had to do thanks for everyones advise too
Old 11-28-10, 06:15 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

I never understood how someone could make their goals off of how much PSI they want to run...

How much horsepower are you looking for? Do you want low end or high end? How many miles do you have?

How much do you want to spend on engine management? Do you want a piggy back or standalone? You mentioned AEM, do you already have an AEM system... or is that the only engine management system you know of?

Quick Reply: Turbo Set up...Help!