IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Turbo Set up...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 07:26 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baadhabit
i believe the GE blocks are the same in SCs and ISs the difference is the rods and rings. IS rods and rings are weaker. generally wont hold more than ~400-450hp with upgraded headgasket and studs.
This is good information to know. I'm new to the IS world, lol.
With that said, the OP should still be clear to boost. When someone comes on saying, "I'm only looking to boost 6-7psi" they mean that they are just looking to turbo and run a safe amount of power. They don't really have a goal in mind for HP. So, more or less, just to have a turbocharger.
Old 12-08-10, 08:01 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most probably don't know how to read a flow chart either..

But I believe a 60-1 turbo paired with a .58 hotside should be plenty for the goal the OP is looking for and I would run this as well. May end up boosting the ge or doing the GTE vvti swap myself.. Still putting the pieces together in my head.

Last edited by Justin727; 12-08-10 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-08-10, 08:40 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Justin727
Most probably don't know how to read a flow chart either..

But I believe a 60-1 turbo paired with a .58 hotside should be plenty for the goal the OP is looking for and I would run this as well. May end up boosting the ge or doing the GTE vvti swap myself.. Still putting the pieces together in my head.
I'm in mid GTE build on my SC and due to it being a bit more expensive then I imagined, I'm at a stand still till spring.
Old 12-08-10, 09:38 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shadowen
I'm in mid GTE build on my SC and due to it being a bit more expensive then I imagined, I'm at a stand still till spring.
I agree. Building my Supra was on the expensive side..
Now I'm trying to get the pieces together to boost the IS and kicking around some idea's without it being an extensive process. The auto tranny is the thing holding me up. I want to retain it because the Supra is a stick and that's the fun car but I don't want to spend a chunk building a bullet proof transmission that I don't plan to push more than 400 thru...
Old 12-09-10, 07:44 AM
ais300c
Pole Position

I just got another ge motor, what I've found out is building the top end will be all I need to run a solid 10psi DD I've already replaced basicly the whole top end with after market internal did a port and polish with some guys at car quest and I'm on my way. Thx for the opinions they helped alot in my decision to do this thing, one more thing I need to kno haha how's the auto tranny in the is? Is it a solid build or do u guys think there wil be issues?
Old 12-09-10, 09:33 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ais300c
I just got another ge motor, what I've found out is building the top end will be all I need to run a solid 10psi DD I've already replaced basicly the whole top end with after market internal did a port and polish with some guys at car quest and I'm on my way. Thx for the opinions they helped alot in my decision to do this thing, one more thing I need to kno haha how's the auto tranny in the is? Is it a solid build or do u guys think there wil be issues?
If you took some time and read my post above yours then you would get an idea of the auto tranny. I wouldn't trust it without some modification. 300-350hp @ the most.

You can spend between 3k-5k to have it built.
Old 12-09-10, 10:12 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Justin727
If you took some time and read my post above yours then you would get an idea of the auto tranny. I wouldn't trust it without some modification. 300-350hp @ the most.

You can spend between 3k-5k to have it built.
Think of it this way, it's not going to break right away unless you're pushing 300+. But, the more power you add, the higher the chance for something to fail as well as the sooner things will wear out at fail.
Old 12-09-10, 11:54 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Right.
I was leaning more towards a 2jzgte VVTi swap and of course as soon as its installed, It'll have engine management, FMIC, Downpipe, and exhaust, and that'll net over 300hp closer to 400.
Even with the VB upgrade and an external cooler the sprag will eventually die. BUT knowing this has actually kept me away from doing that paticular swap and have thought about just doing na-t.
Who knows I may throw something together over a weekend or I may not...
Old 12-10-10, 06:12 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ais300c
building the top end? where do you get this information from? building the top end cant hurt but not necessary. i dont know who told you needed a port and polish and upgrades valves and whatever. for 10psi you only need an upgraded head gasket and APR head studs. GE head is plenty strong. since you already have the motor out of the car and blowing money on port and polish you might as well build up the bottom end and turn up the boost.

the auto tranny on the ISs is stronger than the manuals. for boost you'll need at a minimum the valve body upgrade. then depending on your HP goals you can build up the clutch packs and 3rd sprag. i would talk to a shop like SRT or PFS and ask what HP the auto plus valve body upgrade can hold.
Old 12-10-10, 07:46 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by baadhabit
building the top end? where do you get this information from? building the top end cant hurt but not necessary. i dont know who told you needed a port and polish and upgrades valves and whatever. for 10psi you only need an upgraded head gasket and APR head studs. GE head is plenty strong. since you already have the motor out of the car and blowing money on port and polish you might as well build up the bottom end and turn up the boost.

the auto tranny on the ISs is stronger than the manuals. for boost you'll need at a minimum the valve body upgrade. then depending on your HP goals you can build up the clutch packs and 3rd sprag. i would talk to a shop like SRT or PFS and ask what HP the auto plus valve body upgrade can hold.

Good info. I've already emailed Mo just awaiting a reply!