IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

ODO Dials

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 02:15 AM
Rory
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ODO Dials

ok the mileage on the clocks is stored on the clocks own ecu, so if you replace the clocks in the car, the mileage changes, I have a genuine honest question, if the car has 70k and the new dials come from a car with 100k, is there a way of changing the readout to the correct reading??
Old 11-04-10, 08:33 AM
exodus_2
Lead Lap

well it can be done using computer, how ever from what i know it is illegal.
Old 11-04-10, 08:53 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

I think OP is asking if his car has 70k miles and he buys a used cluster with 100k miles can he change the cluster to match his own mileage, or is he stuck having whatever miles comes with the used cluster?
Old 11-04-10, 10:26 AM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Do you have a reason to change your cluster? Did something quit working on your old one? I'm not sure if there is any way to reprogram the cluster or not, but I do know the only way you are going to find this out or be able to do this is through a Lexus dealership and maybe a Toyota dealership but I don't know if they would be able to do it. My best guess is they probably won't do it, they will probably want you to buy a brand new cluster off of them and have them program the new one to your car.
Old 11-04-10, 01:30 PM
Rory
Driver School Candidate

its a hypothetical question on behalf of someone else who is swapping theirs, for reasons i'm yet to find out, and is irrelevent, all I want to know is can the mileage be adjusted from INCORRECT to CORRECT, ie, in a legal sense, not to hide the true miles but to CORRECT the readout
Old 11-04-10, 05:19 PM
exodus_2
Lead Lap

if you take it to dealer they will tell you to get new one which is over 1k. it is possible to correct the mileage and i've seen a lot of them changed... about the illegal thing...
i was told no mater increase or decrease mileage on cluster it is illegal to change the mile but im not 100% sure... might want to double check though.... or else you can shop around or make few phone calls to junk yard to see if anyone has mileage close to yours.
Old 11-04-10, 09:16 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

the dealership can do it, it's just a matter of if they will or not. whoever is trying to switch the cluster is going to have to give the dealership a GOOD reason to change the miles on the other cluster, also it will have to be proven that the car really does have only 70k miles on it and they may do it. they are still more than likely going to want to sell him/her a new cluster and program it to the miles on the car, that is just how dealerships are and their way of doing things, the main reason they may not want to program the cluster is because they do not know anything about it or where it came from and is not new. anything to do with the odometer on a car is very iffy, it should be performed at a dealership or with local dmv to avoid any legal issues as odometer tampering is highly illegal.
Old 11-05-10, 04:58 AM
Rory
Driver School Candidate

probably avoid the dealer due to the cost and hassle, whether legal or not is irelevent also, since the aim is to display the correct mileage, I can't see the issue, nor can I see anyone having to know that it had been changed

Last edited by Rory; 11-05-10 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-05-10, 08:25 AM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

True, but I am not sure that anyone else would have the proper knowledge or tools to change the reading except the dealership. Odometers have come very far in technology from the past for obvious reasons, and are getting harder and harder to tamper with, some may be even impossible without the dealership doing it.
Old 11-05-10, 08:47 AM
Rory
Driver School Candidate

in my opinion Lexus havent come very far with the odo, as the reading is stored in the clocks, far too easy to get a 60k clock and put it in a 150k mile car, lol

i've come across a couple of sites offering software to re-program so i'll see how that goes
Old 11-07-10, 12:54 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

let us know how it goes.
Old 11-07-10, 02:41 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rory
in my opinion Lexus havent come very far with the odo, as the reading is stored in the clocks, far too easy to get a 60k clock and put it in a 150k mile car, lol

i've come across a couple of sites offering software to re-program so i'll see how that goes
it's actually a little more complicated than that, there is an engine clock too. If you go to trade your car in and it has only 60k on the dash and the other numbers don't match up they're gonna know that there's some funny business going on.. Plus not to mention DMV and dealership records.. Every time you bring your car in for tuneup or vehicle inspection they make a record of your mileage...
Old 11-08-10, 08:21 AM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llllllllll
it's actually a little more complicated than that, there is an engine clock too. If you go to trade your car in and it has only 60k on the dash and the other numbers don't match up they're gonna know that there's some funny business going on.. Plus not to mention DMV and dealership records.. Every time you bring your car in for tuneup or vehicle inspection they make a record of your mileage...
This is all true, plus your odometer reading is constantly being stored in your cars computer as is changes.
Old 11-08-10, 11:40 AM
Rory
Driver School Candidate

thats why the intention is to correct incorrect milege, not the opposite, as the current dials are correct, and the new dials are not

so once everybody has stopped completely missing the point, my original question was simply can it be altered? and it would seem the answer is yes, thats ALL I needed

thanks
Old 11-08-10, 06:39 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rory
thats why the intention is to correct incorrect milege, not the opposite, as the current dials are correct, and the new dials are not

so once everybody has stopped completely missing the point, my original question was simply can it be altered? and it would seem the answer is yes, thats ALL I needed

thanks
Dude your question has been answered a long time ago
You can use a used one, but just take it to the dealership and let them swap it in so that it can be documented and all that.

We are just talking to each other about the topic so that in the future, other people who are searching for info, with decent/indecent intentions, will gain more knowledge.

Quick Reply: ODO Dials