IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Ideas on places to look for a SportCross?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 09:00 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Ideas on places to look for a SportCross?

Looking for a SportCross, non black in color, auto transmission-for daily driving duties. I live in CA, but am in Boston for work till Dec. Would like to buy in the next 2 months or sooner.

I am willing to travel anywhere in the country for the right car.

Looking for sub 100K miles.

Appreciate any help or pointers you guys can provide. I have been looking on autotrader but prices seem to be in the 14-15K range. I would like to spend a little less.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-10, 10:13 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right on! You will be happy with one. Here's one in the Seattle, WA area. Last week there was two more but at the moment I can't find their pages.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/ctd/1821238259.html
Old 07-06-10, 10:17 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Thanks! Will send an email to them. I got rid of the LS400, and we need another four door. Instead of getting an LS, I think the IS Sport Cross is what I want (should have bought it in the first place).

Any problems to watch out for or specific things to look for? My SC300s had the similar motor-so I am familiar with them..

But any pointers appreciated.

Also using KBB is a good predictor for the cars? I know for many cars KBB doesn't make much sense.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-10, 10:47 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Any high mileage IS300, make sure the timing belt and water pump has been replaced. The stock Sportcross should come with the staggered set up (7.0 and 7.5) and a full size spare in the rear. Also, make sure the cargo cover is included because it's very pricey to buy a replacement.

Make sure front fenders, doors and hood all have the same VIN#. Carfax doesn't always list accidents. Previous owner(s) can easily get body damages fixed without reporting. I learned that one the hard way.

Other than that..just be patient. I would also use edmonds.com and nada.com with KBB.
Old 07-06-10, 10:51 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Oh, I forgot to mention...not sure if you know this or not but when you have a VIN# for any Lexus vehicle....register as a Lexus owner and enter in that VIN#. From there you have access to any maintenance service done for that vehicle. Only services done by Lexus will enter but the owner can also manually enter maintenance done outside for record. I use this site as well and store all maintenance done my me, the dealership and Toyota.
Old 07-06-10, 12:36 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Appreciate the info. Yeah this will be the 4th Lexus in our family.

I found a local 03 with 160K miles, asking 6K. I know the miles are high. I am checking on the maintenance as we speak. Original owner car.
Old 07-06-10, 08:52 PM
JSwenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.motortrend.com/used_cars/...113/index.html

If you look towards the bottom there are similar sales in different areas. Just did a google search of Lexus IS300 Sportcross for sale and came across this. Why the Sportcross? For the room? Ever think about the Sedan? Good Luck
Old 07-06-10, 10:52 PM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

Good luck! I've been keeping my eyes open for a sportcross for about 4 months now
Old 07-07-10, 05:59 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kingluis6
Good luck! I've been keeping my eyes open for a sportcross for about 4 months now
I won't be back home in CA till Dec or so-otherwise there is a great one in CA with Nav right now. I really don't want to buy it there, ship it to Boston, and ship it back to CA. I already have to ship 3 cars back from Boston to CA that we are using for the time being (all 2 seaters-thus we need a 4 seater now).

Good luck with your search-I promise not to compete

Originally Posted by JSwenis
http://www.motortrend.com/used_cars/...113/index.html

If you look towards the bottom there are similar sales in different areas. Just did a google search of Lexus IS300 Sportcross for sale and came across this. Why the Sportcross? For the room? Ever think about the Sedan? Good Luck

Thanks for the link. That is great. Currently I am looking midwest, south, and north east. If I don't find anything for the next 2 months, then I will look west.

I like the hatchback aspect of it. Always had a hatchback-and thus would want it.

However, if we can't find one--I will definitely look at the IS sedan. Since there is lot more sedan in supply-the sedan seems cheaper-and much better color options to find.

I just wish the IS got a bit more gas mileage. Since my background is all SC (the 6 cyl version) and LS, I find that if I have to give up the wonderful V8 in the LS for the inline 6-I should get some mileage back
Old 07-07-10, 11:11 AM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
I won't be back home in CA till Dec or so-otherwise there is a great one in CA with Nav right now. I really don't want to buy it there, ship it to Boston, and ship it back to CA. I already have to ship 3 cars back from Boston to CA that we are using for the time being (all 2 seaters-thus we need a 4 seater now).

Good luck with your search-I promise not to compete

haha of course not, im sure youre budget is much higher than I can spend. Would you happen to have the link to the sportx with Nav that is selling here in CA?
Old 07-08-10, 07:06 AM
IanHen
Rookie

One thing to consider is the Salt use in the northern states.
My Texas IS300 was in Minneapolis-Saint Paul area for two yrs before returning home and had much worse exhaust bolt rust and rusted up under tray bolts.
I would advise you to stick with a CA or Southern car.
Old 07-08-10, 08:53 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover

However, if we can't find one--I will definitely look at the IS sedan. Since there is lot more sedan in supply-the sedan seems cheaper-and much better color options to find.
Be patient brother! Don't settle for the sedan!
Old 07-08-10, 10:10 AM
IanHen
Rookie

I just went to Auto-trader and selected body style wagon and sportcross under advanced search and got 17 listings.
Selecting body style wagon gets rid of all the adds with sportcross in description when its really a sedan.
Old 07-12-10, 06:36 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info guys. Yup prefer a southern car for sure.

Is there a FAQ somewhere for IS newbies, where I can look if there were any model/trim upgrades in the years the IS sedan and sportcross were in production?

I know there is a Navi option-and some of the IS seems to have leather and some have the more cloth like interior (neither matters to me),

Also would like to see if there is a list to look at specific problem areas of an IS when purchasing.

Appreciate the help
Old 07-12-10, 08:04 AM
IanHen
Rookie

Well I have seen one but it might be over on the Dark side....

Main thing I have read about is
1) 2001 Models, have issues if you need a master key and have lost all of yours... need a ECU replacement.

2) various improvements to 2004 model that has smoked lights as standard and upgraded CD player, before 2004 the CD players were troublesome.

Navi appears to be very rare.

Seats are Cloth, Leather and Escalane / Alcantra fake suede, and full leather. (sorry if spelled wrong)

memory seats and heat heaters, sunroof are other major options.

SD version ?

Quick Reply: Ideas on places to look for a SportCross?