IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Clanging Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 11:11 PM
IluvS600
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clanging Noise

This morning on the way to class, driving with the windows down I noticed a clanging noise when I would go over railroad tracks, or other bumps in the pavement. I started playing with it tonight and it seems its when the drivers side hits. I repeatedly drove over a spot that I knew would make the noise, and the times that i would lightly apply the brakes as I went over it would not make the metal clanging noise, but when I would repeat without touching the brakes I would hear it. I thought maybe it was the suspension as I hit a fairly nasty pothole the other day, but that happened on the passenger side.

Do you guys have any idea what this might be? Maybe my brakes are not set right? I plan to take it in on friday, but I wanted to see if anybody else ever noticed this. I can't stand knowing the noise is there.
Old 04-19-10, 11:35 AM
FGFennec
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Did you have your brakes done any time recently? The Anti-Squeal shims could have come loose. My brakes were rattling because I noobed up and didnt put them back in correctly. The hitting of the pothole may have dislodged it.

Check your rear brakes for the small metal shim, it most likely is loose and needs to be set back to where it should be.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7981/img0166hy5.jpg

(ganked the pic from My.IS, this is how its removed.)

Thats how it should look on the rear.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2688/img0181lz2.jpg

(Also ganked from My.IS, this is putting it back into place.)

That was the source of my metallic clanking whenever I went over a bump, maybe its yours!

Originally Posted by IluvS600
This morning on the way to class, driving with the windows down I noticed a clanging noise when I would go over railroad tracks, or other bumps in the pavement. I started playing with it tonight and it seems its when the drivers side hits. I repeatedly drove over a spot that I knew would make the noise, and the times that i would lightly apply the brakes as I went over it would not make the metal clanging noise, but when I would repeat without touching the brakes I would hear it. I thought maybe it was the suspension as I hit a fairly nasty pothole the other day, but that happened on the passenger side.

Do you guys have any idea what this might be? Maybe my brakes are not set right? I plan to take it in on friday, but I wanted to see if anybody else ever noticed this. I can't stand knowing the noise is there.
Old 04-20-10, 09:54 AM
JayDR6
Rookie

Yeah mines had the same problem and it was that metal clip that holds your brake pads down in the caliper. mines basically fell off so my brake pads were jumping inside me caliper the part cost me only 20$