IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

01 IS300 HID probs

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 11:56 AM
superduner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 IS300 HID probs

Hey guys im new to the forum, just got a hold of an IS300 with clean title and slight front end damage. (mostly front bumper scratches and pushed in a little) however the car is great and runs smooth etc etc

problem: when i turn on the headlights. the drivers side hid does NOT light up completely and sit sort of strobeing rapidly like it wants to turn on but cant for whatever reason. sometimes the light does not even turn on at all. im no wizz in these cars since i just got it. but im a quick study so im sure playing around with it il get to knwo about it more.

anybody got any idea whats happening here? the other lights work perfectly fine. high beams turn on and everything. however the low beam Hid ( purpleISH looking one) strobes or doesnt turn on at all.

Thanx in advance
Old 03-13-10, 03:57 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

does it strobe and then shut off? if this is the case then ur bulb is about 2 blow. this happened 2 me once wit my hids
Old 03-13-10, 04:23 PM
superduner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Li Ls4
does it strobe and then shut off? if this is the case then ur bulb is about 2 blow. this happened 2 me once wit my hids
yes sometimes i BELIEVE it does that. i think.... on the wall infront where the car is parked the right one seems alot more purpleish looking.. the one strobing looks more blueish and dimmer. strobing. theeres also some light on the dashboard that sort of looks like a headlight and some lines coming out of it or something. car came with no stock manual or nothing haha so i got no clue what it means. my ovious guess would be its letting me know the headlighs having issues...

anybody know also if theres a haynes or break down manual for the IS300? with wiring diagrams and how to take parts of the car off microfiche style like haynes. would be great to learn morea bout these cars. im inlove with mine now haha
Old 03-13-10, 04:49 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

r these aftermarket hids, idk if is300s come with oem hids or not lol.

one thing u can do is to swap driver and passenger bulbs, this would help you determine if its the bulb or a wiring issue. if u get the same problem with the driver side bulb in the passenger side then its deff the bulb, but if the passenger bulb starts to strobe and such on the driver side then its ur wiring
Old 03-14-10, 11:08 PM
mou
Pole Position

that warning is probably the light warning and i believe stock is300's come with 4300k hids
Old 03-15-10, 12:17 AM
superduner
Driver School Candidate

good idea. LI LS4 definitely will get cracking on that simple test. Hopefully i get good news and its the bulb. id hate to have to temper with wiring just yet on this car.
Old 03-15-10, 07:21 AM
IanHen
Rookie

yes the Low beam is HID as stock 4300K
swap the bulbs if that doesn't work swap ballasts. When problem moves you have your answer.
the Main / DRL is a normal Halogen bulb.
Old 03-16-10, 12:20 AM
superduner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanHen
yes the Low beam is HID as stock 4300K
swap the bulbs if that doesn't work swap ballasts. When problem moves you have your answer.
the Main / DRL is a normal Halogen bulb.
by DRL,,? im guessing it means day running lights? :/ i was meaning to ask how i turn those off ? :P or is there a wiring "mod" or whatever that i can do to hook them up to a switch perhaps? :/ not really a fan of having lights on when driving in a sunny *** day in san diego haha.
Old 03-16-10, 06:31 AM
IanHen
Rookie

Yes DRL Daylight running lights.

Yes I agree, think i would prefer my fogs on rather than the main beam, and then up the main to a HID 55W unit.

there are threads from people that have disabled them, normally by un-pluging the DRL module.

Last edited by IanHen; 03-16-10 at 06:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-16-10, 11:05 PM
superduner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanHen
Yes DRL Daylight running lights.

Yes I agree, think i would prefer my fogs on rather than the main beam, and then up the main to a HID 55W unit.

there are threads from people that have disabled them, normally by un-pluging the DRL module.
Now were talking! fogs DRL FTW! haha

Just personal opinion her ein san diego we have SUN to spare :/ i see all these cars with their lights on during the day i just think to myself. i know theyre on to be more visible on the road... but damn if someone cant see you coming on this sunlight/wheather.. they DEFINITELY should not be driving :P

so yeh wanting to have some switch to run them on later afternoon when the sun is kinda going down. looks way nicer with DRL in the evening

DUN DUN DUN!

tomorrow's the day i do the HID testing. since ive been at work or school for the most part. and the car parked looking pretty in my driveway.
il post up results tomorrow.
Old 03-18-10, 04:51 PM
superduner
Driver School Candidate

its official the bulb on passenger side was done and the driver one was almost getting there.

just ordered some 8k's should post up pics of the ride soon. THANKS FOR THE HELP GENTS.