IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

New To Forum, New To Lexus ('01 GGP IS300)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 11:51 AM
josh99ta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To Forum, New To Lexus ('01 GGP IS300)

I've always liked IS300s, even though I've mainly owned domestic RWD V8 cars ('99 Trans Am, '96 WS6, '06 GTO, '00 Camaro SS) along with a few other cars too ('96 Integra, '94 Neon beater, '06 Civic, '08 F150) as well as one bike that I sold a little while back ('01 Honda F4i). I also currently own half of a '94 Miata R-package that we're building for SCCA Auto-X double driver action. Garages > josh99ta's Garage - FQuick.com for pictures or details on what I'm coming from into the IS300 world.

I've always wanted an IS300 for a daily driver and had my eye on them ever since they were introduced. Four doors, comfortable, great looks, bulletproof drivetrain, and still sporty enough to have a little fun in. They're not fast in stock form, but they're great around curves, and the auto trans with e-shift means the wife can drive it and I can also have a little fun with it. Seemed like the perfect fit for my situation these days.

I used to have a '08 F150, and when I was selling the truck and looking for a daily driver replacement back in October '09, IS300s were actually the very first vehicle I checked used prices on, but were just more than I was wanting to pay. I ended up in a 2000 Camaro SS back in October, but when I saw this one up for sale/trade, I casually threw out an offer for a straight trade on my SS, and the owner took the trade. If you're talking actual money invested I ended up paying $6700 for this IS300. That's a pretty good deal I think.

Graphite Gray Pearl 2001 Lexus IS300 A5 w/ 140,000 miles in amazing shape (looks like a 50k mile car, previous owners were extremely meticulous)

It's all stock except for 6000k HID bulbs and the chrome tip that was welded on to replace the rusty stock tip. There were only two issues with the car. I'm missing the right thumb "DOWN" button on the steering wheel (anybody know where I can get my hands on one of those?), and I have one fog light out, so I'm going to go with 3000k HIDs. Otherwise the car is basically flawless. So far I'm loving the handling, loving the solid build of the car, and love a lot of the features (HIDs, heated seats, leather interior with suede inserts, moonroof, solid stock stereo, Homelink so I don't have to have a bulky garage door opener on the visor anymore).

Plans for the car right now:
-Immediately have to do the throttle spacer mod, because right now I feel very disconnected from the throttle inputs and I hate that feeling
-Most likely going to disable the DRLs, I hate DRLs on most all cars
-Debadge the "LEXUS" and "IS300" letters on the rear trunk lid, leaving only the "L" cause I like the clean look
-Red out the tail lights except for the small strip across the bottom for the reverse lights
-Redo the tint as it's old and slightly purple (20% all around, adding 45% neutral film to the entire windshield)
-Paint brake calipers and add Lexus "L" logos front and rear, still deciding on black or red (but leaning towards red)
-Front lip of some kind, still trying to figure out which one looks best with no other body add-ons

Considering:
-Might VHT Niteshades the front side markers, although I can't quite decide yet
-Might do some yellow vinyl overlays on the fog lenses, but will only do this if I tint the front side markers

Then just enjoy having a comfortable, reliable daily driver and only replacing things when they need to be replaced. Might see some autocross duty in whatever stock class it falls into also just for kicks.

Future plans:
-Once these tires wear out I plan on picking up a set of new wheels and tires. Looking at all sorts of OEM options, and a few aftermarket ones, but want them to look close to an OEM style wheel, leaning towards ASA AR1s in silver (18x8 +40) as I like the mesh style with a little lip
-Rolled fenders with a drop, not slammed because I want to keep the stock ride quality, but wouldn't mind eliminating the fender gap, probably go coilovers just so I can set it exactly where I want it to be
Old 02-21-10, 12:19 PM
MVPTonyD
Driver School Candidate

Wow. nice. thats a clean looking car. good luck on your project
Old 02-21-10, 05:41 PM
ultrabootz
Driver School Candidate

Great pics...were the images overlayed with differ type of shutter speed?
Old 02-21-10, 06:35 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome, very nice car history. Yes for the miles your car is pristine and even in stock form the IS300 is a great car. I like your future upgrade plans and I think you should paint the calipers red, it just really pops with the GGP paint.
Old 02-21-10, 06:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL and congrats on your purchase. You've got a great platform to start a good build on, and it sounds like your on the right track. Can't wait to see the progress
Old 02-21-10, 06:41 PM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

this is lexus gsxr from tennspeed ... your car looks great bro!! welcome here!!
Old 02-21-10, 06:43 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

congrats and welcome
Old 02-22-10, 01:14 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to CL and great looking pics... clean IS..
Old 02-22-10, 06:45 AM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CL and do not be afraid to ask any questions. There are a good group of guys here. Also check out www.isfanatics.com if you have not already done so. This is only IS owners for the most part.
Old 02-22-10, 07:42 AM
josh99ta
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. As most of my wrenching has been in the domestic and Honda/Acura fields, I'm sure I'll have some pretty basic questions as I go along. Just did the throttle spacer mod yesterday while I was doing a full detail (wash, clay, buff, wax) on the IS, and man o man does the car feel so much better just driving around now. Looking forward to being a part of the community and hopefully once I get a handle on all this Lexus stuff I can start helping out a little too.

Originally Posted by ultrabootz
Great pics...were the images overlayed with differ type of shutter speed?
Thanks man. They were single exposure shots. I just did a curves and local contrast adjustment in Photoshop then resized and sharpened for web use.

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
Welcome, very nice car history. Yes for the miles your car is pristine and even in stock form the IS300 is a great car. I like your future upgrade plans and I think you should paint the calipers red, it just really pops with the GGP paint.
Thanks. Yeah, that's what I'm seeing with the red calipers on GGP. Looks REALLY good. Especially since I'm talking about red-out on the taillights. I think it'll tie in nicely.
Old 02-22-10, 08:14 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Welcome and congrats!

Paint your calipers black...reds are played out and too flashy on stock calipers...just my opinion. Red out tails will look clean, I have had mine for about 7 months.

You should look into sway bars. Night and day difference, will make the car 100 times funner to drive. I just installed Hotchkis sways yesterday....and it just blew my mind how well it handles around corner/turns at higher speeds.
Old 02-22-10, 10:36 AM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

red is to flashy... ya but to each of there own.. i painted mine gloss black...

yea the throttle mod is awesome.. my first mod i did when i first got the car... To take the slack out of the pedal... so, its tip-toe and go..lol
Old 02-22-10, 11:19 AM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sway162
Welcome and congrats!

Paint your calipers black...reds are played out and too flashy on stock calipers...just my opinion. Red out tails will look clean, I have had mine for about 7 months.

You should look into sway bars. Night and day difference, will make the car 100 times funner to drive. I just installed Hotchkis sways yesterday....and it just blew my mind how well it handles around corner/turns at higher speeds.

this is a must... i got eibach sways coming... i heard bad things about hotchkis sways breaking in half and such...
Old 02-22-10, 12:29 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I have read those issues too....that's because of excessive rust issues. This will cause any sway bar to break. Also, a while back Hotchkis had a bad batch produced and made that fixed as quick as possible.
Old 02-22-10, 06:23 PM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

oh well.. i went with eibach.. i hope its as good..

Quick Reply: New To Forum, New To Lexus ('01 GGP IS300)