IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Newbie!!!! Intro & a couple ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10, 06:48 AM
afoist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie!!!! Intro & a couple ??'s

Whats up guys, im new to the board and wanted to introduce myself. im currently in Indiana for another 2 weeks but will then be living in Florida for the forseeable future for work. Im an engineer for Cummins Engine Co. (The diesel engine) and took a new job in Jacksonville so if anyone from the area reads this hit me up! I need to make some new friends down there haha.

I do NOT own a Lexus at this time but have my eyes on a few and will be picking up one in the next week I hope. Its between a 1999 SC300 or a 2001 IS300.

I wanted to ask those that have either the IS or SC how reliable are they? The 1999 SC im lookin at has 140k on it w/ auto trans. and the 2001 IS has 117k with auto trans. Both seem in good overall shape, int/ext but im mostly concerned with the drivetrain. Should I be weary of buying one with this high of mileage?

Can you let me know any things specific I should be looking for when checking one out?

Thanks again guys and looking forward to becoming a bigger part of CL!.

Andy
Old 01-14-10, 07:21 AM
cricket056
Driver

I have an 02 IS300, the only concern I would have with the mileage is that the 90K service (timing belt, water pump, etc.) has been done. I see guys on other forums putting turbo on cars with similar mileage and rebuilding around 230-280K. As long as there are no leaks and the service is up to date it should be a solid car for ya!

Not sure on the SC thought they both have the same 2jzge so the maintenance should be the similar but I believe there is another recommened service at 120K.

Im in MI just over the state line near South Bend. If you want to look one over well I got mine up on stands if you're close.
Old 01-14-10, 07:53 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i cant speak for the SC but I do have an IS 300, I also have a RX 300, let me just say this

The 1999 RX 300 had a lot of issues with oil sludging and bad transmissions. To date it has almost 240k miles on it and its still running great. So I personally go by the basis that I should expect to get anywhere between 250k-300k miles out of a lexus in general and considering i have not had any of the major issues commonly reported with the RX it may even be more than that.

So to answer your question if you are an enthusiast like most of us are on this site and get a joy out of doing your own oil changes, researching lubricants/manufacturers/etc. then you can expect to get a long life out of either one. However if you are just looking for a car to have a nice car you may want to go with the lower mileage newer car.

Oh and one other thing, see how long its been since the last timing belt was done, they are rated for 90k miles, you can get 100k and up but its not a good idea ;^)
Old 01-14-10, 07:56 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cricket056
I have an 02 IS300, the only concern I would have with the mileage is that the 90K service (timing belt, water pump, etc.) has been done. I see guys on other forums putting turbo on cars with similar mileage and rebuilding around 230-280K. As long as there are no leaks and the service is up to date it should be a solid car for ya!

Not sure on the SC thought they both have the same 2jzge so the maintenance should be the similar but I believe there is another recommened service at 120K.

Im in MI just over the state line near South Bend. If you want to look one over well I got mine up on stands if you're close.
oh the SC has the 2jzge? i didnt know that, good call man
Old 01-14-10, 08:16 AM
BlackLotus
Driver School Candidate

I have an 03 IS300, never really had any problems with it besides alignment maybe going off a little or rats chewing wires under the car. I've got almost 75k miles on it. Origionally I wanted to go with the SC400, my dad has an 06SC430 & that thing is a boat w/the V8. I am personally glad I got the IS. It may not be the fastest craziest thing out there but its quick, handles excellent, & has much appreciated trunk & rear passenger space that the SC can't compare to. Reliability is common across the board with Lexus. Post pics of what you get though!
Old 01-14-10, 08:21 AM
BlackLotus
Driver School Candidate

oh there is another guy on this forum w/the same idea.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-5spd-is3.html
Maybe some of those answers might be able to help you a little.
Old 01-14-10, 08:40 AM
afoist
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the info here.

As far as deciding between the SC and IS I have drivin a few IS's before and really like how they handle and the fact that they are a 4 door, just makes it easier to get friends, ect in and out however,

I have never drivin or even been inside a SC before. Only admired the beauty from outside and looked in thru the windows.

I know the SC is heavier but whatever car I get I dont plan on modding too heavily for power at first. Maybe a catback and intake but that would probably be it for awhile. I would be primarily doing wheels and suspension. I have had my share of performance cars that I have dumped $$$ into and its just not what im after at this point anymore. I want something that looks badass (SC imo over the IS when modded) but I can still get in a go anywhere comfortably and worry free. Hence why I am loking towards Lexus.
Old 01-14-10, 08:57 AM
cricket056
Driver

The SC is more like the luxury supra, though the IS300 has more modability. Either way modding a Lex is quite costly. I've had mine for two years and I now have more in aftermarket than I do in the car.

They are both great and very comperable cars. GL with your decision.

Last edited by cricket056; 01-15-10 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-14-10, 05:16 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I own a IS300 and have test driven a few SC's. To me the big difference between the two, is the IS is so much more nimble in stock form, while the SC in stock form feels heavy and not as responsive. Anyway, you really can't go wrong with either choice, good luck!