IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

3M Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-02, 06:55 PM
Domingo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Paint Protection Film

I know I'm getting ahead of myself considering the car isn't due for 2 weeks, but has anyone tried out 3M Paint Protection Film for their Lexus? I've heard that the paint is very thin and prone to chipping. Maybe I need this kind of protection?

If anyone has had experience, who did you have install it?
Old 05-09-02, 12:59 AM
mr who
Lead Lap

Default Re: 3M Paint Protection Film

Originally posted by Domingo
I know I'm getting ahead of myself considering the car isn't due for 2 weeks, but has anyone tried out 3M Paint Protection Film for their Lexus? I've heard that the paint is very thin and prone to chipping. Maybe I need this kind of protection?

If anyone has had experience, who did you have install it?
if you can afford this, you HAVE to get this done. its too late for me, but if you don't, trust me you'll be sorry. especially if you get black, like i was reading in your other post.
Old 05-09-02, 04:26 PM
LA Auto Show
Driver School Candidate

Default Star Shield/3M Paint Protection Film

We have 3M film from Star Shield on our IS 300 SportCross, and it's great. After an expensive paint job, we knew we wanted to have it done.

Almost everyone uses 3M material, but the right kit makes a big difference. Contact Star Shield at www.nochips.com. They've been doing Lexus kits for a long time, they do kits for several vehicle manufacturers, and they have a great reputation. Plus, they have installers across the country. Tell them I sent you!

Last edited by LA Auto Show; 05-09-02 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-09-02, 08:04 PM
texaslexus
Driver School Candidate

My dad has worked sales for the PSD/Film division of 3M for 37 years. I asked him about this stuff once and he got me a sample. He says that they use this stuff on airplanes on the edges of the wings to protect them from debris and that it's extremely plyable. So I took it over to a friends house to try and install it, it was really hard to get on and "see through".. I tried using a heat gun but it didn't apply like I thought it would, it was opaque. I guess just make sure you have a professional do it.
Old 05-09-02, 09:55 PM
Domingo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely have it professionally done.
Old 05-10-02, 12:08 PM
ISJeff
Driver School Candidate

I just put this on my 02 last weekend. Most of the hood kits didn't go far enough up the hood to make me justify spending $300 on materials. What I did was buy the widest piece of 8 mil that I could get (24") and cut the hood piece myself. Then i bought the front bumper piece because there was no way I was cutting that one myself. I also made a template for the front fenders and gave them more coverage with the 24". If you dont have 2 sets of hands and a lot of patience, then I would have it done professionally. If you keep the back of the sticker and your hood wet up with a mixture of soap and water, you are ok because you have a decent amount of time before it sticks. Overall, it's not cut as nicely as the precut kits, but I didnt buy it to look good, I bought it to protect from chips. If you decide to do it yourself and need more info, PM me.
Old 05-10-02, 12:26 PM
LA Auto Show
Driver School Candidate

On our IS, Star Shield covered the mirrors, the A-pillars and the leading edge of the roof, in addition to the bumper cover, hood and front fenders. Initially they installed pieces for all four door edges, but I removed them to install the vinyl graphics. Looking at a chip I just got on the door edge recently, I wish I'd left those pieces on!

This car spends a fair amount of time on the freeway, as well as laps on the race track, and having the film has prevented a lot of paint damage.
Old 02-06-06, 11:08 AM
Scratchman
Driver School Candidate

Default 3M is the best

I am a certified 3M Paint Protection Film installer in San Antonio, TX. I have installed many a kit on various Lexus models plus too numerous to mention kits from Ferrari F575 Super America
to Hyundai.

The EPA has forced all auto manufacturers to switch over to water based paint. The air we all breath is cleaner for it, however the paint is not as resistant to rock chips and bird droppings as it was several years ago. So for the forseeable future rock chips are a fact of life.

3M developed this film originally to protect helicopter blades then later F14 fighter planes nose cone followed by the first genration automotive film. 3M is now in their 5th generation of film and are constantly seeking ways to make it even better than it is right now. It is clear coat finished so that it stays looking good for years to come. Their testing shows a film life of 8 years and they guarantee it for 5 years against yellowing, cracking, fading, peeling and loss of gloss when installed by a certified installer.

There are several kit designers out there. Some are "user friendly" in that they are cut up to be easier for a consumer to install while others are complete coverage and seemless which are in most cases beyond the typical consumers ability to install properly. My advise would be to have a kit professionally installed otherwise the end result may not be satisfasctory.

If you are in the San Antonio, Tx area we will be happy to assist you in getting exactly what you want to protect your Lexus. River City Dealer Services
Old 02-06-06, 11:30 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Scratchman, please check your PM.