IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Buying an IS, looking for feedback...

Old 10-11-09, 04:59 PM
Irishsupra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an IS, looking for feedback...

Just coming into the IS300 side of things. This is my first post here, been lurking for a few days.

The wife just totaled my supra that we have been slowly building over the last 3 years. I'm buying her back and rebuilding it over time. But I'm taking the insurance money and picking up an IS.

We recently had a kid so a 4 door is a must, but I'm not wanting to be without the 430whp I was used to in my supra. I have searched a ton around here so far and haven't quite found anyone going in the direction I plan on. Looking for some feedback from the seasoned IS guys.

Basic plan will include:

Rebuilding my GTE block from my supra, bolting on the vvt-i ge head using the TT headgasket, sourcing out a front facing intake mani, sourcing out a single turbo manifold, small single either 58mm or 61mm, recirculated wastegate (trying to keep things quiet), sourcing out a 3" downpipe/exhaust or having one built, 255lph fuel pump, mkIV TT injectors, using the TT supra power steering reservoir, sourcing or custom fabbing intercooler piping and intercooler, different electric fan, sourcing vvti GTE valve covers and spark plug cover, map ecu 2 and a tune.

This will be on a 5spd car most likely, so the clutch would need to be changed, and down the road I will most likely need to swap out to a getrag, which I have, or an r154 from a MKIII turbo. Which would need a custom driveshaft as well. Eventually I'm wanting to shoot for around 500whp on pump 93. But I would like to start out initially in the 390 to 430 range that my BPU mkIV was at. This process will happen over time obviously, but it is a basic idea of where I would like to go with the car.

From that, and the fact that I would like to keep this thing daily driven, is there anything else I am missing here? I know that with the front facing mani's out there I'm looking at losing cruise control, which is something I would like to keep. So I will have to find a way around that. I also know of throttle cable modifications that will need to be done.

Any other input you guys have would be much appreciated. Hopefully I can get this car this week and begin the long process of getting back into something with some get up and go until the supra is back on the road.
Old 10-11-09, 05:06 PM
VIPJOSH
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry not much help but really interested in the process and plans for this IS300. keep us updated.
Old 10-11-09, 05:36 PM
Irishsupra
Rookie

Originally Posted by VIPJOSH
sorry not much help but really interested in the process and plans for this IS300. keep us updated.
I will. I had a lot of fun with the supra, but I was bpu so it was pretty much plug and play. Go have fun. With this one, I will have to build it to where I want it, shoot for set power numbers, all the while keeping it strictly daily driven with MINOR track use. It's pretty much my get to school and the grocery store with my kiddo car. I'm looking forward to the build. I will def. keep people posted.

But anyone with any info for me, please don't hesitate to shoot me some advice.
Old 10-11-09, 10:35 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

I dont know anything about supra's, but I do know a lot about the IS3.

The Throttle is DBW, so thats gonna be tricky.

And here is a link that might help you more in depth. Just sign up for free, and use my username as a referral

Go faster section has a lot of answers, that you might have questions about. But start here... http://my.is/forums/f114/new-forced-...inside-346858/
Old 10-12-09, 03:39 PM
Irishsupra
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW

And here is a link that might help you more in depth. Just sign up for free, and use my username as a referral

Go faster section has a lot of answers, that you might have questions about. But start here... http://my.is/forums/f114/new-forced-...inside-346858/
Good looking out, but I already signed up and searched the place. Even posted the same thread. 38 views and counting, no responses. I'm still looking into the fine details about either using the plenum from an aristo vvt-i 2jzgte, or working out a way to retain the factory throttle body as I do not plan to go stand alone, only piggy back. I want this car to be a very reliable daily driver with the same cojones my supra had. When you speak of the throttle being DBW, what are you reffering to?

*ninja edit* NM on the throttle. Drive by wire. Gotcha. Still used to my 16yr old technology I've been playing with for a few years.
Old 10-12-09, 03:43 PM
Irishsupra
Rookie

I also know that the head on the non-turbo GE engine does flow better than the TT head. Does anyone else know if this holds true for the vvt-i GE head compared to the vvt-i TT heads? If it really isn't that hard, push comes to shove I can source out an aristo GTE engine and go that route as well. Just trying to keep it with the stock engine. Makes for a more "complete" car in my opinion.
Old 10-12-09, 06:16 PM
Irishsupra
Rookie

Here is my thread over there...
http://my.is/forums/f114/buying-look...edback-399734/
Old 10-12-09, 09:24 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

hahaha...Good luck with your research
Old 10-13-09, 06:47 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

What you are doing is over my head, but for insane power if you are staying manual, the getreg six speed is a must.

Also check out www.isfanatics.com , it is a smaller IS300 community that has many members with turbo IS300's!
Old 10-13-09, 09:32 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

I was going to refer him to that site. But when I did a search over there, it was to many un answered/finished posts on what he wanted to do.
Old 10-14-09, 11:45 AM
Irishsupra
Rookie

I was going to refer him to that site. But when I did a search over there, it was to many un answered/finished posts on what he wanted to do.
Yea I was already over there. No luck. I am having pretty good luck with my.is though. Great site, very helpful people.
Old 10-14-09, 02:25 PM
Sceptre
Pole Position

If you are looking at 4dr sedan that is putting out Supra numbers you might want to consider looking at Gs300/400/430's with 2jz swaps. Depedning on your budget there are several in the classifieds that are for sale. Good luck.
Old 10-14-09, 06:51 PM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

yea.. the IS300 is a Drive By Wire throttlebodies.

im real interested in seeing ur build on the IS300.