IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

torque master spark plugs....hit or hype?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 10:03 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question torque master spark plugs....hit or hype?

has anyone had experience with these?

i was reading about them online and supposedly they are great plugs because of the serious reduction on "burn delay". I'm going to be doing my plugs soon so im just curious if anyone knows anything about these and if they are any good.
Old 08-18-09, 05:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

In 40 years of living around race cars and in nearly 30 years of building engines, I've never seen a magic sparkplug. I've seen plugs priced like they deliver magic but never seen it happen in real life.
Old 08-18-09, 07:49 PM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NGK all the way!!!..
Old 08-18-09, 09:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

People who have TM's have been quite pleased with them here on CL. You can search for more info. They come with good word.

Also, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...-or-denso.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...periences.html
Old 08-19-09, 05:06 AM
UNOHOO

right on thanks guys
Old 08-19-09, 02:06 PM
kanderson
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusGSXR
NGK all the way!!!..
I would prefer the NGK Iridiums for myself. But if OLT speaks well of them they should be good plugs.
Old 08-19-09, 04:34 PM
UNOHOO

UPDATE:

I was looking around for the cheapest price for the torque masters today and came across this site where this guy tested all these different plugs. Granted they were in a rx-7 and i dont know how long ago this was so the designs may be different now. He experienced something with the torque masters that apparently lots of other people have. Either the ceramic breaks or the metal conducter breaks and falls in. After looking around i saw posts on other sites where this has happened and it &$@^$^ up their engine for obvious reasons. One commonality between all these people though is it seemed they all were boosted. Soooo...... i dunno

anyway heres the link if you wanna check it out
http://www.silverbulletrx7.com/plugs/

Last edited by UNOHOO; 08-19-09 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-19-09, 08:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
UPDATE:

I was looking around for the cheapest price for the torque masters today and came across this site where this guy tested all these different plugs. Granted they were in a rx-7 and i dont know how long ago this was so the designs may be different now. He experienced something with the torque masters that apparently lots of other people have. Either the ceramic breaks or the metal conducter breaks and falls in. After looking around i saw posts on other sites where this has happened and it &$@^$^ up their engine for obvious reasons. One commonality between all these people though is it seemed they all were boosted. Soooo...... i dunno

anyway heres the link if you wanna check it out
http://www.silverbulletrx7.com/plugs/
If you run too hot a heat range you can damage the porcelain with detonation. It doesn't matter if it's ND, NGK, or Torquemaster, they'll all shatter and they'll all do serious damage if you run too hot a plug in a boosted engine. Rotaries are some of the most detonation prone engines under boost too, so I can't say I'm surprised.

FWIW, a plug with the proper heat range will beat a plug too hot or too cold every time no matter how many electrodes there are or whether they're made of copper, platinum, iridium, or palladium. The plug has ONE job - start the fire more often than not. Standard ignition systems are reliable ~88 - 92% of the time. The remainder they misfire. What may seem like a better plug might just be one a little better suited to the engine and tune you are running.

I won't say anything about Torquemaster because I've never run them. However, there have been MANY surface discharge plugs (I remember seeing them in the Warshawsky catalog when I was a kid in the 60's - before there was a JC Whitney) over the years. None have proved magical.

I put ND plugs in my 1980 Honda CB750F and in 600 miles they were crap. The engine would not run over 6000 rpm. I've run Toyota OEM ND plugs in my Supra for the last 12 years without ever having a problem and passing tailpipe checks without fail.

I've never, ever, had a problem with NGK plugs in any engine I've built or tuned. NEVER.

That's my $0.02.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-19-09 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-19-09, 08:24 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by kanderson
I would prefer the NGK Iridiums for myself. But if OLT speaks well of them they should be good plugs.
Easy greasy...... I said everyone else said they come recommended. I haven't had a chance to run them in my IS3. I've polled about this and the TM's do poll well from owners and say they see some difference. I have personally used plugs that the car ran like crap on and others it ran great and good gas mileage so you can make a difference, choose wisely.

One thing I DO know is you can't go wrong running NGK no matter what else is an option.
Old 08-20-09, 04:00 AM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

i have NGK Iridiums in my car right now... im very pleased with it!!
Old 08-20-09, 05:08 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you run too hot a heat range you can damage the porcelain with detonation. It doesn't matter if it's ND, NGK, or Torquemaster, they'll all shatter and they'll all do serious damage if you run too hot a plug in a boosted engine. Rotaries are some of the most detonation prone engines under boost too, so I can't say I'm surprised.

FWIW, a plug with the proper heat range will beat a plug too hot or too cold every time no matter how many electrodes there are or whether they're made of copper, platinum, iridium, or palladium. The plug has ONE job - start the fire more often than not. Standard ignition systems are reliable ~88 - 92% of the time. The remainder they misfire. What may seem like a better plug might just be one a little better suited to the engine and tune you are running.

I won't say anything about Torquemaster because I've never run them. However, there have been MANY surface discharge plugs (I remember seeing them in the Warshawsky catalog when I was a kid in the 60's - before there was a JC Whitney) over the years. None have proved magical.

I put ND plugs in my 1980 Honda CB750F and in 600 miles they were crap. The engine would not run over 6000 rpm. I've run Toyota OEM ND plugs in my Supra for the last 12 years without ever having a problem and passing tailpipe checks without fail.

I've never, ever, had a problem with NGK plugs in any engine I've built or tuned. NEVER.

That's my $0.02.
thanks man that gives a lot clearer picture of the whole overview.
Old 08-20-09, 05:11 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Easy greasy...... I said everyone else said they come recommended. I haven't had a chance to run them in my IS3. I've polled about this and the TM's do poll well from owners and say they see some difference. I have personally used plugs that the car ran like crap on and others it ran great and good gas mileage so you can make a difference, choose wisely.

One thing I DO know is you can't go wrong running NGK no matter what else is an option.
yea i think ive decided to go with ngk iridiums and ngk wires

i was originally going to go with bosch platinum fusions and bosch wires since ive had such great luck with them but i wanna give ngk a chance
Old 08-20-09, 01:46 PM
kanderson
Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.

So you didn't recommend them did you. I was to busy blown smoke up your tail pipe!
Old 08-21-09, 05:02 AM
UNOHOO

so you didn't recommend them did you. I was to busy blown smoke up your tail pipe!
whaomp whaomp waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....
Old 08-21-09, 05:11 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

So you didn't recommend them did you. I was to busy blown smoke up your tail pipe!
I'll recommend them, but I've never used them in an inline six. I had them in my GS400 and thought they were great plugs. A lot of guys swear by them and will use nothing else. I also haven't used or researched them in probably 4 years so can't say if anything has changed.

I switched away from them once I went FI on the GS and needed a colder range plug.

If you search the 2GS forums there are plenty of threads detailing the + / -

Quick Reply: torque master spark plugs....hit or hype?