IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

FIXED my melting dashboard! *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-09, 06:55 AM
KPC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking FIXED my melting dashboard! *pics*

So i know alot of you have the infamous melting dashboard problem like i did and are probably looking for a way to fix it. I recently did ALOT of research and holding on the phone with Lexus Corporate and low and behold my phone call got transfered to a guy named Roe at JM Lexus in Coconut Creek, FL who told me they are the only lexus dealer who has realized the melting dash problem and has created a fix for it. What they do is (with the dash still in the car) strip all the old nasty, sticky material off, lightly sand it, put a base coat down, and then spray a special dye back on. Let me tell you they did an amazing job and the dash feels and looks BRAND NEW. Unfortunately i still had to pay to have this service done but Roe said they are working on spreading the word to other Lexus dealerships in hopes to make this a nationally understood problem that can be dealer remedied. costed me $520 out the door and only took them one day to do. they also threw in a 2009 IS250 loaner ..so if anyone in South Florida wants their problem fixed just call JM Lexus in coconut creek and ask to speak with Roe in the body shop. i dont have any pics of my dash before but here are some pics of the finished product.

Old 08-15-09, 05:48 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nicely done. unfortunately I live in sunny Colorado.

but so far so good!
Old 08-16-09, 06:32 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, thats nice to know.........
Old 05-31-18, 04:39 AM
AutoAddict
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but this is the only thread I’ve been able to find a fix mentioned besides replacing the dash completely.

Has as anyone else tried this? Looking at buying a Lexus that has a tacky/sticky dash that I’m sure Lexus won’t replace for free, so I’d like to know what solution is available before purchasing.
Old 06-03-18, 06:19 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AutoAddict
I know this is an old thread, but this is the only thread I’ve been able to find a fix mentioned besides replacing the dash completely.

Has as anyone else tried this? Looking at buying a Lexus that has a tacky/sticky dash that I’m sure Lexus won’t replace for free, so I’d like to know what solution is available before purchasing.
The solution is to pull, strip, repaint, and re-install the dash.I did it, and I think it looks a lot better. This fix cost around $50 + my time.

Last edited by rvalero; 06-03-18 at 06:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AutoAddict (06-03-18)
Old 06-04-18, 10:07 AM
harlockssx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or swap it with a 2001 dash, which never had the same coating as the 2002+...
Old 06-13-18, 06:54 AM
Kinsha
Driver School Candidate

That is exactly what I am going to do this weekend on my 02 sportX. I accquired a very good condition 01 dash and console from 2 different 01’s total cost $180 ( 01 airbag and gauge trim was included ). Will have to swap over the armrest, but seems easy enough. Figured by the time I bought all the materials, and my time to restore the old one this just made more sense. Love the 2 tone and durability of the 01 dash. I will try and post some before, and after pics.
Old 06-17-18, 07:22 PM
Kinsha
Driver School Candidate

Finally completed this project yesterday morning ( before the 98 degree heat hit ) in my garage with several fans running. Followed the diy dash removal thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-of-pics.html everything went according to plan. A word of advice - after removing the 4 bolts holding the steering wheel do not let the back two studs release completely from the bracket. I did and had a hellofa time getting it back over the studs. The reason - it is a bracket held onto the steering column by 1 bolt. If it is pulled completely away from the studs it can swivel ( which is what mine did ) I could not get it back in the correct position without removing the bolt holding it on. Then it has a little metal sleeve that fits on it. Then I put it on the studs, and threaded the bolts on a little bit then the middle bolt tht holds it to the column. Anyway save yourself the headache, and just don’t let that back steering column bracket drop completely off those studs.
So all said and done here are some before and after pics. Finally I am proud for someone to ride in my car ( got sick and tired of people saying - whats wrong with your dash? I am also glad I did not opt to paint the old one. ( no offense to those that have ) and finding a good dash and middle console from an 01 is going to get harder and harder. The 2 here came from 2 different 01’s. The 01 dash seems very durable ( installed ) and the 2 tone looks really good and matches the door switch plates perfect. I just wiped the new dash off in these pics - had not really cleaned it yet.

Last edited by Kinsha; 06-18-18 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AutoAddict (06-18-18)